Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is this for real?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

clockwerk

clockwerk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I would like to remind of their "drop in/drop out" system. You come to your friend, take a second gamepad and - voilą - you play a game. Do you expect them to check your fingertips and decide "Ok, so this guy is playing now, let's search for his savegame"? I don't.

Co-op mode as I perceive it just allows anybody to join your game instantly and leave your game instantly without any importing/exporting windows.

Surely you must be joking? I sign into a gamer profile, I join. A small menu pops up in the bottom corner where my HUD will be that shows my available characters, I pick one, voila, I'm in. Sacred 2 did it for crying out loud, and that game was held together with duct tape.

Serioulsy, your post boils down to "Do you expect them to do what a bunch of others have done and is now largely considered a standard feature for this type of game? I don't".

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3976 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would like to remind of their "drop in/drop out" system. You come to your friend, take a second gamepad and - voilą - you play a game. Do you expect them to check your fingertips and decide "Ok, so this guy is playing now, let's search for his savegame"? I don't.

Co-op mode as I perceive it just allows anybody to join your game instantly and leave your game instantly without any importing/exporting windows.

Surely you must be joking? I sign into a gamer profile, I join. A small menu pops up in the bottom corner where my HUD will be that shows my available characters, I pick one, voila, I'm in. Sacred 2 did it for crying out loud, and that game was held together with duct tape.

Serioulsy, your post boils down to "Do you expect them to do what a bunch of others have done and is now largely considered a standard feature for this type of game? I don't".

We have literary NO absolutly NO information if it works that way or not.

No.

NO.

clockwerk

clockwerk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Let's put this very simply:

There is absolutely no feature Obsidian could possibly implementing, that would be more important than having people play as their own characters and enjoy the full breadth of gameplay in ALL COOP MODES. If there is some feature (like the AI) standing in the way of this, ditch that feature.

Has still nothing to do with anything.

We still don't know what the multiplayer will be about. Thats the point. More is to come.

We don't even know if it actually will look like this in the end. It isn't final. -.-

I respectfully disagree. If the rumours were false, we'd at the very least have a comment from the developer about it. And even if they are false, it is still valuable, while there is still development time remaining, to make sure the developers know exactly how important a feature this is. So that way, if the rumour is false, we have lost nothing and we get what we want. If the rumour is true though, enough noise might cause some reconsideration, and a change of direction and save the game from mediocrity.

clockwerk

clockwerk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

We have literary NO absolutly NO information if it works that way or not.

No.

NO.

Dude, chill out, I'm simply commenting on his post. Not on the situation at large. He's claiming drop in/drop out isn't possible with created characters. I'm just pointing out that it is.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3976 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

There is absolutely no feature Obsidian could possibly implementing, that would be more important than having people play as their own characters and enjoy the full breadth of gameplay in ALL COOP MODES. If there is some feature (like the AI) standing in the way of this, ditch that feature.

We still don't know what the multiplayer will be about. Thats the point. More is to come.

We don't even know if it actually will look like this in the end. It isn't final. -.-

I respectfully disagree. If the rumours were false, we'd at the very least have a comment from the developer about it. And even if they are false, it is still valuable, while there is still development time remaining, to make sure the developers know exactly how important a feature this is. So that way, if the rumour is false, we have lost nothing and we get what we want. If the rumour is true though, enough noise might cause some reconsideration, and a change of direction and save the game from mediocrity.

They may have gotten the memo when it was all posted over the internet. Thanks.

Also the rumor is a rumor and uses something as basis that is incredibly vague.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not saying you don't have the right to complain. It's just that its way too early to complain.

Edited by C2B, 04 February 2011 - 09:19 AM.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5619 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dude, chill out, I'm simply commenting on his post. Not on the situation at large. He's claiming drop in/drop out isn't possible with created characters. I'm just pointing out that it is.

It's probably right, considering that there's no character creation in the first place.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3976 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's probably right, considering that there's no character creation in the first place.

I think its less about creation and more about using their own leveled and skilled charachters.

Which is a pretty valid complaint. But again, no info on this one.

Edited by C2B, 04 February 2011 - 09:22 AM.

clockwerk

clockwerk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

They may have gotten the memo when it was all posted over the internet. Thanks.

Also the rumor is a rumor and uses something as basis that is incredibly vague.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not saying you don't have the right to complain. It's just that its way too early to complain.

What exactly is this "complaining" you are speaking of? All anyone is saying in this thread is that *IF* this is true, then please reconsider, because that will ruin our experience with this game. No one is complaining, simply voicing their desires as a consumer.

You're right in that we don't know for sure. I don't know for sure that my daughter is going to pass her next test, but I don't wait until after she's written it to let her clearly know what my expectations are, and at what level I will be satisfied.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2839 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Let us say you are playing alone, controlling Lucas. Then you recruit the Archon mage. You are controlling Lucas and the Mage is AI controlled. Both Lucas and the Mage should get experience and level ups, right? Let us say that you play until both of you reach level five. Then someone jumps in to control the mage. Will she suddenly and magically not gain exp and level ups? I doubt it. I think you won't be able to export your characters, but they will get exp and levels in THAT particular save file.

Olauron Mor-Galad

Olauron Mor-Galad

Arcane Wellspring of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, I can comment only on co-op on the same computer. We have already seen it. Here. There is absolutely no menu or anything like this when a second player joins a game (5:25 or 10:30).

This is the only info we have on co-op. I'm not going to say that there will be no other type of co-op mode. I have no such information.

rc deaths agent

rc deaths agent

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:rc deaths agent

I agree here 100%. No one wants to be a red shirt/henchman atleast i don't. It would be like playing a merc in D2.

Hopefully there will be an entirely seperate multiplayer side or something. If not and we can't play our own character in co-op that would be bad imo. It would knock it down from a definate buy to a rental and maybe a buy.

Edited by rc deaths agent, 04 February 2011 - 09:44 AM.

rafoca

rafoca

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts
Clockwerk“s comments has to do with everything about the thread. I know what he meant.

I remember that DS2 had two campaigns: the single-player and the co-op campaign. I wish now that DS3 also have 2 campaigns, so co-op would be fun like DS2“was

DarkLord RuKen

DarkLord RuKen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts

Let us say you are playing alone, controlling Lucas. Then you recruit the Archon mage. You are controlling Lucas and the Mage is AI controlled. Both Lucas and the Mage should get experience and level ups, right? Let us say that you play until both of you reach level five. Then someone jumps in to control the mage. Will she suddenly and magically not gain exp and level ups? I doubt it. I think you won't be able to export your characters, but they will get exp and levels in THAT particular save file.

You are correct. The mage will still gain the xp and gear as normal, the argument is that the "someone who jumps in" is gaining nothing from it. It works out fine if your playing with someone who doesn't own the game or have his own character. The problem arises when someone who does own the game, has a character already built, and wants to play with his or her friends who also have a character built.

I don't know anyone who would want to play on another account, just to play as their friends henchman, when they could be playing and leveling up their own. That's what we mean by not getting experience and gear when playing on another account.

clockwerk

clockwerk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

You are correct. The mage will still gain the xp and gear as normal, the argument is that the "someone who jumps in" is gaining nothing from it. It works out fine if your playing with someone who doesn't own the game or have his own character. The problem arises when someone who does own the game, has a character already built, and wants to play with his or her friends who also have a character built.

I don't know anyone who would want to play on another account, just to play as their friends henchman, when they could be playing and leveling up their own. That's what we mean by not getting experience and gear when playing on another account.

Precisely. But even beyond that, if the game is on a single acocunt, can I even use the character of my choice there? Or am I, as the coop player, perpetually stuck playing whatever character happens to be in the main character's party? Even the ability to consistently play the same character, even if you can't export it, wouldn't be so bad. At least you'd be playing something consistent. You'd have your "own" character in someone else's game, and they could have their "own" in yours.

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 2839 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I guess all we can do is await an official explanation.

C2B

C2B

• Members
  • 3976 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I guess all we can do is await an official explanation.

Less an explenation, more an announcement of the multiplayer.

Again, nothing about the MP was final in these builds. This was stated. By multiple previews.

Edited by C2B, 04 February 2011 - 11:02 AM.

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 2839 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I know. I'm just telling other members not to jump to any conclusions, that is all.

lasthearth

lasthearth

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
I agree with Clockwerk completely on this, if they don't have multiplayer Sacred 2/Diablo 2 style, then this game will at best be a bargain bin pick up for me.

The only reason I was looking forward to this game and planning to get it day 1 is so that I can play it local co-op with friends, but I don't think any of my friends are interested in playing as my side-kick where all the gains and kept to my gamertag and my save file and they get to keep nothing when they walk away.

I was planning on pre-ordering this today but now that I see this I am going to hold off until further announcements.

Lord Elvewyn

Lord Elvewyn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 153 posts

I agree with Clockwerk completely on this, if they don't have multiplayer Sacred 2/Diablo 2 style, then this game will at best be a bargain bin pick up for me.

The only reason I was looking forward to this game and planning to get it day 1 is so that I can play it local co-op with friends, but I don't think any of my friends are interested in playing as my side-kick where all the gains and kept to my gamertag and my save file and they get to keep nothing when they walk away.

I was planning on pre-ordering this today but now that I see this I am going to hold off until further announcements.

I pre-ordered a little while ago because it's DS. Have to wait and see more details to confirm whether or not it's worthwhile keeping it pre-ordered. No custom character ability suggests no multiplayer. Sure there's co-op which is cool, but forcing story character roles is really lame. As always, more details needed.

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 2839 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I pre-ordered a little while ago because it's DS. Have to wait and see more details to confirm whether or not it's worthwhile keeping it pre-ordered. No custom character ability suggests no multiplayer. Sure there's co-op which is cool, but forcing story character roles is really lame. As always, more details needed.

From the STEAM description.

Players will be able to adventure by themselves, on the couch with friends, or online in a fully multiplayer experience

xbox.com
Features
■Offline players 1 - 2
■Offline co-op 1 - 2
■System Link 1 - 2
■Dolby Digital
Online features
■Online multiplayer 1 - 4
■Online co-op 1 - 4
■Content downloads

There will be multiplayer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic