FO: NV (DLC)

Rosbjerg

Consoles:

+ hardware and firmware is the same for the entire install base

- that hardware is usually utter ****

Which is why I will always get the PC version and only use my crappy 360 for 'console exclusive' games.

This is a good thing for PC gamers on a budget - I spent a fair bit of change on my rig like 4 years ago and it'll run any and every current game like a champ, because everything's specced for consoles. Probably won't handle Crysis 2 too poorly, either.

Wonder when the next DLC will be announced.

Dead Money was announced approx 2 months after FNV release. Now one month is over since then... maybe only a few weeks left?

Then again, I am still very much annoyed by this consoletard-exclusivity, which makes me hate it already now.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Someone may have done some estimates, but I never believed it. Actually we don't know what NV sales were, there's only the 5 million shipped announcement, I haven't seen anything else official.

it's one thing I don't understand about steam and pc sales in general, it seems impossible to determine what proportion of games are sold on the platform, and yet more and more games are being ported to PC, which makes me think that despite piracy concerns, there is still a significant amount of money to be made by releasing games on PC.

oh well, i guess if I really wanted to know I could quit my job and aggressively pursue employment at valve...

From last November.

Depends on whether you prefer the gamepad or the keyboard controls more than anything.

i'm not sure I follow here, you can use a pad or a mouse on a PC, but on a console you can only use a pad...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Assuming they all have separate releases, I think I'll wait until all three are out then get them all at once. I don't like the one-at-a-time DLC model I guess...still having the occasional fun w/the original game+several mods, so I can wait. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Assuming they all have separate releases, I think I'll wait until all three are out then get them all at once. I don't like the one-at-a-time DLC model I guess...still having the occasional fun w/the original game+several mods, so I can wait. :)

I like it myself. Think it gives the game a bit more longevity. You have something to look forward to in the future.

Well I suppose, but there is also the chance that the proverbail train will have left the station and that people will forget about the game, move onto other things. Gotta sell while the getting is good.

Absolutely true and one of the major reasons Atari killed the premium module project by delaying NwN 2: Mysteries of Westgate for over a friggin' year after it was done to finish a new DRM system to test out. Notice that Mysteries was the one and only Premium Module? Yes it still bugs me. :o

I think the release was spaced well for Fallout 3, a new DLC coming out once a month give or take a bit and it looks like New Vegas will also have it's DLC spaced reasonably. There is also an issue if it is released too early where it appears that it was finished along with the main game and they just held it back to nickle and dime the customer later. I was very slow to beat F:NV so the 3 months to Dead Space was fine with me. I've only beat the game once so far and I'll be eager to do it again.

The key reasons behind the little-by-little DLC stream are: 1) DL size limits on consoles; and 2) prospect of future DLC is a disincentive to trade a game in. (Fewer copies traded-in to retailers generally means more new-copy sales.)

I'm very very pleased to see that we'll be getting the dlc releases on pc by the end of feb. This might be the first game in history that I buy all the dlc for.

also, as a random note, I was in LA over the weekend and attended a UCB show that was being run by Matt Besser, he began by interrogating a couple of kids in the front row (turns out they were in 8th grade) about pop culture stuff music/games etc. When asked about their favorite games they said black ops and matt besser said something like "black ops? oh... but isnt that game so linear? What about fallout 4 in vegas?"

the kids said "fallout is lame"

MB: "Lame? why? its not lame, you get to go anywhere you want and choose what happens, its awesome. If that game is lame then why have I wasted so many hours of my life on it..."

anyway, i just thought it was funny that matt besser was trying to convince a couple little turds that new vegas was awesome. One of the other performer's in the company quipped immediately after that "this is like bizzarro world if kids these days think that post apocalyptic fiction was super lame old man stuff."

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It's not that bizarre. There's a reason men don't hang out with boys, and it's not just for fear of the cops. Teenage boys are deranged asshats. Their minds run on rails between punching each other and sex. Quality of experience has no traction whatsoever. Nor does quality of storyline/complexity of problem solving, whatever.

This puts forward an interesting challenge for us older gamers. The teenage boys are pandered to because they can and do shell out lots of cash for their games. I conclude that in order for out tastes to dominate we have to do two things:

1. Enable mass piracy by teenage boys, of crappy games which we hate

2. Swindle teenage boys out of their money before they can waste it

Come on, boffins. Throw in some ideas!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.