STEAM!

Rosbjerg

I'm not yet interested, Ubisoft.

Apparently Ubisoft's PC revenues have halved since they introduced their DRM.

It was as a proportion of total revenue so there may be more factors at work (~13% revenue to ~6% could be due to fewer titles, perhaps) but I suspect not the glorious nirvana they expected when they embarked on the whole thing.

The only problem i had with Far Cry 2 were the respawns and no silent gun. Other than that it was a fun game. Could be more but what can you do.

Today i'm thinking of buying Divinity 2 saga, I won't play it any time soon but i don't think it'll get any lower price by the time i get around to play.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

The only problem i had with Far Cry 2 were the respawns and no silent gun. Other than that it was a fun game. Could be more but what can you do.

Lies! There's at least a silenced pistol, SMG and a dart rifle. The respawns were kind of annoying, yes.

Lies! There's at least a silenced pistol, SMG and a dart rifle. The respawns were kind of annoying, yes.

MP5SD, actually.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Are the Star Wars Jedi Knights games any good?

Outcast was awesome for its time. The lightsaber battles had my jaw dropping. Might be laughable all these years later though. :sorcerer:

The powered up force powers were awesome too. I found this trick where you force jumped over an enemies head and then force pulled them as you passed over them and launched them thousands of feet into the air. Kyle Katarn made the new Star Wars Force Unleashed guy look like a pansy. The force powers were easy to use and extremely effective and it only took a couple of hits to down an enemy. With a cheat code you would end up chopping the storm troopers to pieces. I immediately noticed in the Force Unleashed demo how many damn hits the troopers took.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

How about Mafia 2. It's a la Vice City, but is it any good ?

I'm wondering that as well. Reviews seem mixed (although for the price that's not a bad deal even if it's only a "meh" game).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Outcast was awesome for its time. The lightsaber battles had my jaw dropping. Might be laughable all these years later though. :sorcerer:

The powered up force powers were awesome too. I found this trick where you force jumped over an enemies head and then force pulled them as you passed over them and launched them thousands of feet into the air. Kyle Katarn made the new Star Wars Force Unleashed guy look like a pansy. The force powers were easy to use and extremely effective and it only took a couple of hits to down an enemy. With a cheat code you would end up chopping the storm troopers to pieces. I immediately noticed in the Force Unleashed demo how many damn hits the troopers took.

Interesting. Will pick them up next time I see them on sale.

$10 on Steam

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Gameplay wise, Outcast is much better than Force Unleashed. You can map individual force powers to your keyboard for quick and easy access. You can just spam force speed to win most battles, but learning how to position Kyle and time certain lightsaber swings is really rewarding and very fun once you get a good grip on it. Definitely use the realistic lightsaber codes to make lightsaber duels deadly and fun.

I remember the first encounter with a lightsaber wielding enemy in Outcast. I managed to cut him in half while nearly simultaneously force pushing him off a platform. He screamed all the way down.

I was hooked after that point.

Academy is also good as it introduces more lightsaber moves and gives you the option of wielding a saberstaff or dual lightsabers. The story isn't much to talk about, but the gameplay is still a lot of fun.

As for Dark Forces 2, it's a classic but the graphics definitely don't hold up. Still the scope of the game and levels are massive and fun to explore. I think certain force powers are better implemented such as force jump and force speed, but that's just a personal preference. The story is also much better than Outcast and Academy with some well done cutscenes. The boss battles against the various dark jedi were the highlight for me, although the lightsaber combat isn't as refined. Still the gunplay is fun and the levels are great. Definitely worth a purchase.

Mysteries of the Sith is an expansion to Dark Forces 2 where you play as Mara Jade. I don't remember much about the story or the levels, but I wasn't too impressed with it. It felt a little rushed and tacked on, but for the Steam price, still worth a playthrough.

I haven't played the original Dark Forces, so can't give you input on that. I think the gameplay mechanics might be too old to really enjoy.

Edited by Azure79

How did anyone like Outcast's lightsaber battles? It's basically a game of joust.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't like it, i loved it. And the original dark forces are still enjoyable the FPS mechanics haven't changed at all.

Jedi Academy is the least enjoyable in my eyes.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

How did anyone like Outcast's lightsaber battles? It's basically a game of joust.

You have to remember that Outcast was released before the new Star Wars movies. The bar for lightsaber battles wasn't set perticularly high.

Also as far as putting force powers and melee combat into an fps went, Outcast did very well at the time. I don't know how it meassures up by todays standards but it was a really fun game especially for multiplayer.

Edited by Serrano

It's a la Vice City

They do both take place in a city, yes, but Mafia 2 is a linear set of missions. To be fair though it's not completely without elements typically found in open world games. You can find pictures of playboy magazines and for some reason wanted posters featuring the developers cosplaying as gangsters.

If you've ever watched a mafia-related movie and thought it would be better if in-between scenes where stuff actually happens we got to see the characters spend ten minutes driving to the next scene, and then drive home at the end of the day, then this is the game for you.

The city is a beautiful place to drive around in, but driving from A to B over and over again doesn't make for compelling gameplay. If you like cover shooters then those segments are nice. The melee fighting is pretty lame, and once you can block it's ridiculously easy. That's all the gameplay, travelling, fun shootouts, and lame fighting.

A lot of people think it's got a great story (for a game) but I thought it was pretty dull. One part of the story that particularly irritated me was the

kid who is out of his depth and was obviously going to die, and my character was all "I don't think this is a good idea" and my sidekick is all "Don't worry it'll all work out" and of course it doesn't work out, the kid dies. Off-screen. They **ckin' kill him off-screen. And I'm supposed to care about this **it?

I suppose if you've got a total hard-on for mafia cliches (and other non-mafia related cliches) and a good story is the most important element you look for in a game, then go for it.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Well, I picked up the whole Company of Heroes set today from the sale.

Very wise choice. PM me if you ever play online as I still frequent the old vanilla Relic servers. Let me know if you experience any technical glitches, I've been through most of them myself and I might be able to help.

EDIT: FYI, if you ever decide to download and play the (free) Company of Heroes Online, your vanilla game CD key will give you a load of free supply, basically in-game currency and hero units.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I haven't played the original Dark Forces, so can't give you input on that. I think the gameplay mechanics might be too old to really enjoy.

The original DF is actually pretty good. Although you'll have to do a heafty amount of tweaking to fit into what you're used to because it was made with the idea that you SOLELY use the keyboard as the control scheme. Used the arrow keys for movement, the strafe was > and <, Z was crouch, ctrl was shoot, space was jump, x was... something.

Basically it took doom's concept, gave it a star wars skin, and actually built upon the idea just before half life appeared and redid everything.

The basic story is that you're Kyle, First level has you steal the death star plans and transmit them, then you're sent on an overarching campaign to find and fight off this weird new enemy called dark troopers which annihilate things. There are 2 versions that you fight mainly (mini bosses basically) the Mk 1 is basically the terminator with a sword and reflective shield, and the mark two is a massive armored brute with the most powerful weapon in the game. One of the more... memoral moments in the game is Kyle being forced to get in a fist fight with a Kryat Dragon (two if you're on the hardest difficulty).

Yeah, that's right, Kyle got in a fist fight with a dragon, and won.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Nice price for the Hitman Collection. But that's about all on today's. Dark Forces 2 is stil the FPS game I've enjoyed the most, that awesome fuel station level.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra