Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you want Alpha Protocol 2?

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want another Alpha Protocol? (322 member(s) have cast votes)

AP2?

1. Voted Yes (311 votes [96.58%])

Percentage of vote: 96.58%

2. No (11 votes [3.42%])

Percentage of vote: 3.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jorian Drake

Jorian Drake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2562 posts
"Do you want Alpha Protocol 2?"

Oh yes, very much so. It deserves atleast one sequel, would be great if your save file / decisions of AP1 would carry over too

Eriksharp

Eriksharp

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Eriksharp
Obviously, Obsidian Entertainment need to do personal franchise, Obsidian has showed what they can do the best Fallout and the best Neverwinter, but they DO the BEST ACTION RPG OF THE GENERATION! Alpha Protocol 2, now.

Squall

Squall

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
yes

evil_kitten

evil_kitten

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
yes and no

it was a good game but felt very unstable and falling through the game map ever 30+min was not my idea of fun

so before id even consider on buying ap2 i would want to see improvements and stability on game

and make it more hard lol that game was way to easy for me went through most of it with just a pistiol and hand 2 hand

i am courios as to what happen after the escape though so if a #2 was made focus a story in genral around taking over or destorying haltech

even if it is not import save game just give us the ablilty to set game standards as we finshed the frist one

some 1 asking us what happen prior to the escape a little short newb start

Xenophon

Xenophon

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
I want there to be a 2.... I literally caught myself staying up till 4am because I wanted to complete Saudi...then Tangpai.... then Rome.... THEN Moscow.

Then I was up till 6:30 finishing the last chapter, Burn in hell Leland.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes, yes I do.

Cody

Cody

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:CodyMelch
I think it is funny that Sega doesn't want to make AP 2 because of bad reviews and sales rate. Especially since almost every Sonic game they make has worse reviews and sales rates then Alpha Protocol. Like seriously wth? Rofl.

I mean as it is, every reviewer that does give AP a negative review basically only complain about the game mechanics while praising the story. Game mechanics are easily fixed and should not change your view of making a sequel/prequel.

ShadowScythe

ShadowScythe

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Alpha Protocol got a generally bad rep amongst mainstream gamers though...making a sequel wouldn't be successful for that reason- they'd be better off making a spiritual successor featuring Steven Heck in a cameo role.

Cody

Cody

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:CodyMelch

Alpha Protocol got a generally bad rep amongst mainstream gamers though...making a sequel wouldn't be successful for that reason- they'd be better off making a spiritual successor featuring Steven Heck in a cameo role.

As do sonic games. And yet they are still being churned out.

ShadowScythe

ShadowScythe

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sonic still has a bigger fanbase and I assume better sales than AP even with the generally bad rep. Also Sega suck.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8434 posts
I would actually love an Alpha Protocol 2.. if they opened it up a bit. Imagine if you had your own HQ and you were free to choose which countries to go to, which cities to explore and which missions to undertake. Sort of like, build-your-own spy game story.

I mean, you are a super spy.. why are there no side missions where I can abuse all my gadgets and spy powers?! I want to rob banks to finance my next world saving mission :D
  • Marky likes this

AddziX

AddziX

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:AddziX
I'd love a sequel too.

Reviewers that said the game mechanics ruin the game were a little too extreme. The shooting and stealth take a little getting used to, but once you level up enough, you become a bad-ass and it's really satisfying to be able to mix stealth and gunplay on the fly. And the story... Wow. RPG games that everyone has compared AP to can take some serious lessons in storytelling from this little baby.

Sega have no idea what a big mistake they've made. I really hope Obsidian get the rights back so they can work on a sequel.

In the meantime, I've got a few playthroughs to go before I get bored of this little gem. :wub:

Riknas

Riknas

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Riknas
Even though Sega shot it down at the time, when the Obsidian CEO said (recently) that they would still like to make a sequel at some point, it gives us a bit better of a chance. If this game was fixed, it would definitely sell way better, and people are always curious when a sequel comes out for a game that was originally deemed, "alright".

This story is top notch, it must be said.

I would play AP2, no doubt, and I think it deserves a chance. Besides, with Obsidians latest projects finished already...well, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Riknas, 03 July 2011 - 08:54 AM.

GreasyDogMeat

GreasyDogMeat

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1636 posts
If games like Kane & Lynch and Just Cause can get sequels I don't see why AP couldn't. Especially if Obs pulled a Just Cause 2 releasing a sequel that shames the original in every way.

ShadowScythe

ShadowScythe

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ Ah good point on Just Cause...I didn't realise the original was (relatively) poorly received critically. How did it fare sales wise?

However for that to work, Alpha Protocol 2 would have to come out several years later so that people who hated it forgot about it and be seen as pretty much a reboot and a complete overhaul. Not that it's a bad thing- if they kept the core writing and depth Choice and Consequences (and Heck) then changing everything else would be fine.

GuruChaz

GuruChaz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
Alpha protocol 2 would be fine as long as it isn't a pig like the first game with stupid AI control and unfinished game mechanics.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd be all for Alpha Protocol 2. I'd just like them to open it up a bit; maybe allow you to roam around the big cities, rather than just spend your downtime at the safe houses.

obliviondoll

obliviondoll

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

I'd be all for Alpha Protocol 2. I'd just like them to open it up a bit; maybe allow you to roam around the big cities, rather than just spend your downtime at the safe houses.

I don't honestly see that adding anything to the gameplay.

Not saying it's a particularly bad idea, just that not every game has to have an open world. And I don't see a game like Alpha Protocol working properly while doing an open-world setup justice. It would either become a parkour-free version of Assassin's Creed (the original) with an open world that you can barely interact with, or can only interact with in fairly meaningless ways, or it would force the open world to become the focus, and destroy the coherency of the story by doing so.

Karl the Unfettered

Karl the Unfettered

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts
Open world you can barely interact with... sounds like Mafia 2.

Anyway, a sequel would be nice, but I'd settle for a rerelease of the first one with all the bugs and issues fixed, maybe some extra missions and people and stuff. And make the whole Rome hub coherent, too.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't honestly see that adding anything to the gameplay.

Not saying it's a particularly bad idea, just that not every game has to have an open world. And I don't see a game like Alpha Protocol working properly while doing an open-world setup justice. It would either become a parkour-free version of Assassin's Creed (the original) with an open world that you can barely interact with, or can only interact with in fairly meaningless ways, or it would force the open world to become the focus, and destroy the coherency of the story by doing so.

I should clarify that I'm not talking about an actual open world, or anything of the sort. Rather, just be able to do a bit of "weapon shopping" in actual shops/stalls around a town, rather than everything revolving around the safe house.

You're right, it might compromise a bit of the tightness of the story. But I think a bit of extra freedom so the player doesn't feel as though he's basically shuttling from mission to mission with nowhere interesting to spend their downtime wouldn't hurt. Kind of like the various hubs in basically every game Obsidian (or any RPG developer) always has in its games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users