Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gameplay teaser

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't see the big deal. From the talk here I thought we'd have some terrible slow-mo, as it is, it's just people walking around that's been slowed down 20% or so. Needless and not a good decision, but surely it's a testament to how (over?) sensitive we all are about frame rates these days.

Anyway, the game still looks the same to me as it has always done - a slick, stylish, pretty game in the Diablo genre, but one that seems to do some interesting things in the genre regarding gameplay and story (much like D3 itself is doing). Sounds good to me, especially since the original DS series had nothing realy worth keeping, anyway.

It won't be the beginning of a beautiful franchise but it seems a solid super fun game if done right.

SirPetrakus

SirPetrakus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I liked the "the combat is mediocre" and "you can't compare this to Diablo 3" comments.

Too many insecure Blizzard fanboys, I guess.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts

As always, the stupidity of GT commenters reaches new depths. It's like a microcosmos of possibilities collapsing on itself.

There are no new depths to be reached.

You're better off just ignoring comments under online videos(and articles for that matter).

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4083 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't see the big deal. From the talk here I thought we'd have some terrible slow-mo, as it is, it's just people walking around that's been slowed down 20% or so. Needless and not a good decision, but surely it's a testament to how (over?) sensitive we all are about frame rates these days.

Anyway, the game still looks the same to me as it has always done - a slick, stylish, pretty game in the Diablo genre, but one that seems to do some interesting things in the genre regarding gameplay and story (much like D3 itself is doing). Sounds good to me, especially since the original DS series had nothing realy worth keeping, anyway.

It won't be the beginning of a beautiful franchise but it seems a solid super fun game if done right.

It seems to do the same thing TOO HUMAN attempted with the focus on action game elements bound to stats. Hope they get it right in contrast.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Rewatching the teaser, the vistas/viewing distance is really impressive. Wondering if Onyx can support an open-world game...

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7132 posts

Rewatching the teaser, the vistas/viewing distance is really impressive. Wondering if Onyx can support an open-world game...

Open-world game running at 10 fps. Reminds me of when I tried to run Morrowind on my Pentium II.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
Just say it's artistically slow motion and you're good :)

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4083 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, considering that Obsidian announced that like the first two entries this is again one big map the answer would be yes. But then again, there are wide differences.

Edited by C2B, 03 September 2010 - 06:35 AM.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7015 posts
  • Backer

If we weren't told that what we see is an actual in-engine vista I would've hough it's a painted background. A badly painted, murky background, but still.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2966 posts

Given how highly a lot of RPG fans rate games with terrible frame rates, I'm not so sure about that.

With regard to this trailer, specifically, even watching a few seconds of the combat gameplay footage should show that the framerate is solid.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5626 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

With regard to this trailer, specifically, even watching a few seconds of the combat gameplay footage should show that the framerate is solid.

I know you aren't working on this project Josh, but is the framerate already solid on the consoles too?

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This game sacks DA2 artistically and technically by a large margin.

Also looking forward what Geroge Ziets is cooking up in the story/writing department. 'Cause what that guy did with MotB was pure genius!

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7132 posts

Also looking forward what Geroge Ziets is cooking up in the story/writing department. 'Cause what that guy did with MotB was pure genius!

Dungeon Siege 3: Revenge of the Seck.

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Space
I love the effects, it reminds me of RE5/Lost Planet where the effects had this colour correction/lighting to it. Maybe I'm not explaining it right, but basically it looks great.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9641 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
If this is the same preview I just saw, I like what I see.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
DS3 previews in the October issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly and Official Xbox Magazine US

Edited by funcroc, 03 September 2010 - 10:14 PM.

Archaven

Archaven

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 82 posts
Seriously.. Bioware should license Onyx engine.. the screenshots i saw with DA2 really deterring me.. Of cos there's alot of fanboyism saying they dont care bout graphics and gameplay wins, bla bla bla, etc.

For me graphics is a basis of how a game should represent and the gameplay is also equivalently important. I dont want to play a very solid game with text-based graphics?

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
http://www.siliconer...e-iii-gameplay/

Something else not shown in this video that Square Enix demoed was you can knock enemies into each other… from far away. In a media demo, a staffer at Obsidian knocked a monster off a cliff like a golf ball and it hit another monster across the chiasm.

Alvin Nelson

Alvin Nelson

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Spiffer2021
alright funcroc, you got your cred back. I was worried when someone posted the gameplay trailer first. :)

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2233 posts
  • Silver Backer
Looks very promising. o.ob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users