Ironman: Icewind Dale

Tigranes

The fight goes relatively well. The mage went down quickly, but I forgot that only magical weapons can damage the imbued wights: most of my loot was unidentified, due to a low-level numbers (low lore). I equipped some anyway, hoping I didn't miss any cursed, and eventually got them down.

IDMain2010-08-2209-13-25-15.jpg

The rest of the level is cleared without trouble, and we are now ready for the final level of the tomb... still without ammo, but at least we've got quite a few levels between us now. Monty is a fiersome tank sporting over fourty-something HP, and I rested readying some new spells for our casters. The 3rd level is horrible because there are so many of the undead, and it's really hard to make sure you don't attract more while fighting. I stuck Wals on permanent Turn Undead duty, which mostly involves him making faces at them. Here we have numbers using geometry to his advantage with Aganazzar's Scorcher. Knowledge is power kids.

IDMain2010-08-2221-35-46-17.jpg

The side areas are trouble, as well. Purkake remains true to his adventuring roots by proceeding to miss a mummy.

IDMain2010-08-2221-47-08-22.jpg

Then we come to the final fight in the tomb, against several powerful spectral knights, and yet another mage. I rushed in without scouting (again) and had to run back out - we managed to lure some spectral knights away and not the mage, but a well aimed lightning bolt claims our good friend numbers.

IDMain2010-08-2221-51-06-97.jpg

We get back in there - this time I cast 2 Silences, one from a scroll, but the mage makes the save. Monty decides to take one for the team and rush in, with his superior HP - but he's charmed. To the right you see the rest of the party running away like hell... you'd expect the skellies to take the chance to molest poor Monty and turn his brain into mush, but I guess a friend is a friend, even a temporary one.

IDMain2010-08-2221-53-06-87.jpg

As charm wears off we rush back in, and just manage to carry the day. Purkake redeems himself (again) with a nice little stab into the undead vitals.

IDMain2010-08-2221-55-55-80.jpg

Of course, in doing so, he entered the LOS of the final spectral knight - and just before that one falls, it takes out mkreku with a big swing.

IDMain2010-08-2221-56-31-52.jpg

Thiefless and Swedeless, our battered Obsidianites finally make it to an audience with the haunted storyteller. He does some boo-boos about how his punishment of eternal condemnation has been disturbed by Aurilites. Seriously, you're stuck forever in icewind dale, and you're bothered about the cold? If that's a good plot mechanism I'm looking for my dad, middle aged guy.

IDMain2010-08-2221-58-47-18.jpg

In any case, we ain't tackling any ice queen till we got some booze in the system. The resurrection fees have jumped with the levels, but I suppose our recently deceased can join us, too.

IDMain2010-08-2222-00-27-22.jpg

We finish the day with a lot of shopping and resting and identifying. Purk picks up a nice ring which adds to his stealth and gives non-detection, increasing his recon capabilities. The yeti armour is a disappointment in terms of AC and surely not worth the 2.5k - after a lengthy debate the party votes to present it to Purkake, arguing that yeti fur is an essential part of stealth in the Dale.

IDMain2010-08-2222-11-31-00.jpg

To finish off here are the combat stats so far:

• Monte Carlo: 157 kills (39%), strongest: Mummy
  • Volourn: 107 kills (26%), strongest: Imbued Wight. Favourite spell: Lay on Hands.
  • Mkreku: 74 kills (18%), strongest: Ghast.
  • Walsingham: 23 kills (5%), strongest: Yeti.
  • Purkake: 31 kills (7%), strongest: Spectral Guard.
  • Numbers: 7 kills (1%), strongest: Carrion Crawler.

Gentlemen, I am sorely disappointed. An LP monkey lives on the scraps of attention thrown his way by kindly onlookers. Nevertheless, we continue. :) Let's get to p5 for next one, or it'll really stretch the page.

All replenished and finally with ammo, we make it back to the Vale for the Aurilite. We positioned for a classic Purkstab opening, but due to a classic 4 in attack roll it doesn't go as planned, and not even numbers' magic missile can disrupt her. So we turn to...

IDMain2010-08-2223-46-54-82.jpg

Walsingham's latest spell slot, but perhaps Smite Evil is not the best of choices for this particular party. (Wait, so what are Yetis, True Neutral?)

IDMain2010-08-2223-47-13-05.jpg

Then it's all the freaking way back to Kresselack, only to hear he doesn't know crap. If this were a real hardcore RPG like Mass Effect we'd have a renegade option to grab this bastard by the balls and shake him down for credits, but here we're forced to leave him alone. Bah.

IDMain2010-08-2223-49-59-17.jpg

There's nothing like being paid for a botched job... paid in XP, that is.

IDMain2010-08-2223-51-53-29.jpg

We are next pointed to some decrepit temple or other, to recover the Heartstone Gem. It strikes me that if they know who took it, and where it's been taken, and how powerful and important it is, they might have made an effort to get it back BEFORE the fate of the world depends on it. You know, proactive resource management and all that.

IDMain2010-08-2223-53-25-47.jpg

To be fair, the place is full of Verbeeg(?)s. I don't remember them being so difficult but they really pack a punch.

IDMain2010-08-2223-55-20-27.jpg

This one was difficult, the sounds of combat drew enemies from other side of the level and in the end we have to resort to some careful kiting to keep everyone alive.

IDMain2010-08-2300-09-34-61.jpg

We are more careful with the next group, Purk doing the recon job...

IDMain2010-08-2300-21-56-75.jpg

Then opening with a Stinking Cloud (finally), which knocks out the acolytes and a verbeeg. We finally have the spells and abilities that allow for extremely complex, intellectually demanding strategies such as these.

IDMain2010-08-2300-23-43-61.jpg

Sadly, we are screwed by the DM again, and the dungeon is empty - we've played for hours and we haven't seen a single Macguffin. At least Monty is happy.

IDMain2010-08-2300-29-00-56.jpg

This Arundel fellow, he really knows a lot of places. I guess he looks them up and puts together a little pamphlet for us while we're gone.

IDMain2010-08-2300-29-46-38.jpg

The lizardfolk are fairly powerful, but with a more powerful party it's actually fairly routine: numbers can now cast 3rd-level spells and Haste is really a game winner in AD&D.

IDMain2010-08-2300-31-29-71.jpg

We line up another intricate, old-fashioned strategy against the lizard with the Big Phallic Object (BPO) & friends:

IDMain2010-08-2300-41-32-56.jpg

Fearless Purkake strides in and lobs a flaming oil...

IDMain2010-08-2300-42-07-18.jpg

And gulps our only invisibility potion just as the angry horny lizards converge...

IDMain2010-08-2300-42-21-18.jpg

And boom, with an oil of fiery burning. Purkake even managed to get out of the way, as a bonus.

IDMain2010-08-2300-42-34-38.jpg

It's still a difficult fight, though. I thought I'd quickly knock down the wounded lizards and ignore the king till last, but he deals a ton of damage and we were forced to run around aimlessly. Mkreku is caught in the narrow corridor and cops it, while only the roll of the dice keep Volourn and Wals from joining the freight train to hell.

IDMain2010-08-2300-44-58-86.jpg

Finally, everything dies except us, just the way we like it.

IDMain2010-08-2300-45-31-08.jpg

Since there's a lot of Dragon's Eye to go, we nip back to town for a resurrect and then rescue the villagers for some nice XP boost. I think that's something like 3 deaths for mkreku, or 2, and nobody else? That's what you get for being a fightermage I guess.

IDMain2010-08-2300-55-15-43.jpg

I'm enjoying this in a lurky fashion.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wait, so what are Yetis, True Neutral?

Hungry? :)

And gulps our only invisibility potion just as the angry horny lizards converge...

I guess he just saved his butt there...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mkreku sure likes dying, but that's no surprise.... weakling swedes. That party clearly needs a Finn to make it more awesome, I mean Finland is the greatest country in the world (ty Newsweek).

Hate the living, love the dead.

Wait, so what are Yetis, True Neutral?

Hungry? :wub:

Mmh, unintelligent creatures default to true neutral. So, yeah.

Lurky enjoyment here, too.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Another lurker enjoying the deaths of Mkrek... eh, the LP...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I'm beginning to think Tigranes created this thread just to watch virtual me die.. over and over again.

Its why I'm following it :wub:

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

My character is nails. Take off his armour Tigs, just do it, he's so Tunnel-Fightier it won't make any difference.

And arm him with a club. A non-magical one.

Mwuahahahahahaaaa.

No naked Monte Carlos, please. Some of us plan on eating before we die.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Tig, this is a fab LP thread. EVen if I don't post, I'm reading. I know it's hard to keep going (my last LP Jag 2 thread petered out after a bit) but you're doing great.

You're almost inspiring me to start an XCOM LP, but eh, the key word is almost.

ANyway, this is great. Keep going!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm certainly inspired to give this a shot myself, could be fun.

So, if tig don't mind, I think I might.

Infact, I will go so far as to let the obsidianites choose. I was thinking IWD 2 or ToEE?

Edit: I'm also willing to old school, something like Wizardry or the M&M's.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The adventurers may not be, but I'm looking forward to the Severed Hand. That in particular felt like one long tough fight for every bit of progress.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.