Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

gamescom previews

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9733 posts
Either the security guy who manages their internal surveillance camera system or Feargus' alt ;)

Alvin Nelson

Alvin Nelson

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Spiffer2021
Have you guys seen this yet with Feargus? Didn't find anything on it on the forums (though maybe i missed it)

http://www.incgamers...3-dev-interview

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1403 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Have you guys seen this yet with Feargus? Didn't find anything on it on the forums (though maybe i missed it)

You forgot to log on funcroc, Alvin.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5599 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You forgot to log on funcroc, Alvin.

I laughed out loud! Bad Flouride, bad! :x

EDIT : I'm pretty sure funcroc or Starwars already posted this interview during E3 though.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver, 19 August 2010 - 03:10 AM.

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1403 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

EDIT : I'm pretty sure funcroc or Starwars already posted this interview during E3 though.

Ye, it was posted earlier for sure.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
PCGamesHardware.de: Technical Details of Dungeon Siege 3

Gamescom 2010: Dungeon Siege 3 in the Technical Test - Physx and Eyefinity support, because DX9 consoles
The first playable version of Dungeon Siege 3, we have a back room to examine the Gamescom in. In addition, we revealed chief designer Nathaniel Chapman numerous technical details of hardware requirements and capabilities of the Onyx-house developed engine. (Daniel Möllendorf, 08/19/2010)

In this article, we summarize the technical details of our interview and our own impressions of the graphics, which we collected during the presentation of Dungeon Siege 3 together. Our assessment of the gameplay that is very different from Part 1 and 2, will follow later from the perspective of a Dungeon Siege fans.

Dungeon Siege 3: Anti-aliasing
In Gamescom presentation is a pre-alpha version that was running on a PC instead of a console. At first glance, we noticed that no anti-aliasing was enabled. Nathanial Chapman the developer Obisidian (New Fallout Vegas, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II) confirmed us in the interview that AA was not implemented in the graphics menu of the game. Anti-aliasing but it works by forcing drivers. Thanks Driver menu will also SSAA (Super-sampling anti-aliasing) be no problem - that is, unless the graphics card is strong enough. In principle, the requirements should be minimal to the graphics card but, Nathanial Chapman told us that he has already played fine on a Geforce 8800 GT.

Basically, the hardware requirements are low. Chapman admitted that it would take for the PC version, regardless of the current consoles, since Dungeon Siege 3 for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 will be released. Similarly, one is currently using only Direct X 9 However, our interview partners said that the most important visual effects are possible with DX9 and DX10 or DX11 to be calculated only faster.

Dungeon Siege 3: PC to console
Visually, are the versions for PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 hardly differ - according to Chapman, there are no higher-resolution textures for the PC version planned. In fact, we noticed during the presentation just on the walls of the dungeons regularly loveless and poor detail textures (see picture). In the vicinity are low-detail textures partly concealed by nice bump maps or post-processing effects. Even the look of a water involuntarily recalled to the simple representation of water in World of Warcraft (not DX11 version). However, developer Obsidian may, before publication in the next year or repair.

Dungeon Siege 3: More technology
The strengths of the Onyx-engine, however, are the relatively high visibility, some shadows along with his dynamic lighting - according to Chapman, each light source in the game dynamic - and the ragdoll physics effects, which fall vacant enemies, for example, credible slopes. For the physics representation uses developer Obsidian Nvidia PhysX engine. However, so far no additional effects for Nvidia cards are planned, but should Geforce Physx models offer thanks to a speed advantage. In addition, you betrayed us in the interview that the Onyx engine uses three or four threads, and therefore benefit from multiple CPU cores. More than three or four cores but probably bring no advantage. Dungeon Siege 3 will also be well suited for multi-monitor technology Eyefinity AMD / Ati. About support for Nvidia GeForce 3D vision you think after being told us Nathanial Chapman.

Good news for hardware enthusiasts and editors: In response to our request, plans, Chapman a benchmark mode to integrate Dungeon Siege 3 - "Yes, that's a good idea and very simple to implement," enthused Chapman.

Dungeon Siege 3 will appear in 2011 - a more specific time frame did not reveal the Gamescom.

Edited by funcroc, 19 August 2010 - 10:58 AM.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
I hate this trend of no AA in the options, is it really that hard to put the option in there?

Having to force if via the drivers is a damn hassle.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5599 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The fact that there are no higher resolution textures planned for the PC version is a bit disappoint as it is the fact that there is no AA option in the game but you have to force it with the drivers. Hopefully they'll rethink their stance on this. Also, I hope this doesn't mean that the PC version is getting a simple port with a shoddy interface that doesn't take mouse + keyboard into account.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6986 posts
  • Backer

I hate this trend of no AA in the options, is it really that hard to put the option in there?

Having to force if via the drivers is a damn hassle.

You must learn to live in harmony with your computer grasshopper, before you can truly become one with it.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
If you become one with it, it might as well be a console.

PC gaming is a constant struggle, it keeps you focused.

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1403 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The fact that there are no higher resolution textures planned for the PC version is a bit disappoint as it is the fact that there is no AA option in the game but you have to force it with the drivers. Hopefully they'll rethink their stance on this. Also, I hope this doesn't mean that the PC version is getting a simple port with a shoddy interface that doesn't take mouse + keyboard into account.

Why bother though? It's extra work and I would imagine it's hefty amount of extra work for players that mostly just download their games illegaly. Yea it would be nice, but if you think about it, it's prolly not worth the time and resources. No matter how great the graphics are that same huuge group of people will not pay for the product.

I personally think the graphics are just fine already. It's not like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 are looking any better...

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
If that's the reason, go all in and don't release it on the PC.

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1403 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If that's the reason, go all in and don't release it on the PC.

Won't be long until more and more companies will actually start to ignore PC. If you look at some companies (EA Sports, Rockstar to name a few), you can see how they are ignoring pc market completely. Did they even release the last NHL game on PC? 2008 or 2009 (can't remember which) PC version was really really bad when compared to the console versions. Rockstar releases buggy as **** ports way after the original release date. Not to mention all those games by Sony and Microsoft that won't be ported ever...

So yea, I'll be happy with what would seem to be a proper pc version of the game. Even if it doesn't have high res models for the graphics whores :(

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
I'm just against half-assing it. Do it right or don't bother.

Now if only DS3 had a slider for the glisten factor...

Jean-Eric Khalife

Jean-Eric Khalife

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
Onyx is set up so that we can develop on all platforms simultaneously. I can literally hit a button and hop on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC at the same time and see the changes I made. We want to make the experience just as good regardless of which platform you prefer.

Sannom

Sannom

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Backer
I can live with graphics that aren't the best, I just hope gameplay won't suffer because of it and that Onyx can do better for a PC-exclusive title (and that Obsidian will one day do one of those again).

Nathaniel Chapman

Nathaniel Chapman

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:pedrothedagger
First, I'm not sure if it was an initial communication confusion or the haze of Google translation, but there were some miscommunications there.

On the textures and AA option, what I said was that our current pre-Alpha build, we havent finished our options menu and we are still focusing on getting the core game content done. Once we finish the core process of making the Game, we'll be able to give definitive answers on other features and tech things we will or won't implement.

KO771

KO771

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts

First, I'm not sure if it was an initial communication confusion or the haze of Google translation, but there were some miscommunications there.

On the textures and AA option, what I said was that our current pre-Alpha build, we havent finished our options menu and we are still focusing on getting the core game content done. Once we finish the core process of making the Game, we'll be able to give definitive answers on other features and tech things we will or won't implement.

thanks for the correction :lol:
/vote for AA ;P

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
GBase.ch preview
Videospielkultur.de preview
Gameswelt.de preview

Edited by funcroc, 19 August 2010 - 05:59 PM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8052 posts

Onyx is set up so that we can develop on all platforms simultaneously. I can literally hit a button and hop on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC at the same time and see the changes I made. We want to make the experience just as good regardless of which platform you prefer.

Let me translate that for the ones not understanding what Jean-Eric is trying to convey here:

"We're building a game that has to run as good on the lowest common denominator (ie. five year old, underpowered consoles) as it does on your Core i7, triple-SLI rig"

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how being held back by inferior console hardware is in any way good for us who like to pimp our PC's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users