Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your favorite builds

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts
With my Field Agent/Spy playthrough that I am going to start soon. Am going for the 'Casual' look approach, attempting to do all the game with just the 'casual' gear on. I've seen a video where someone did about 60% of the game (last 2 missions and graybox finale), but am intending to try doing it all.

I've worked out that by level 20 I aim to have the following build.
Stealth - 15 (all boxes)
Pistol - 15 (all boxes)
Sabotage - 1
Technical Aptitude - 9
Martial Arts - 12

I've done 4 playthroughs so far and I do seem to notice that even when not having much stealth I've tended to play the game more sneaky than gung-ho. Only time I did the latter was with my Soldier playthrough. Who just went around shooting anyone and everyone.

Am wondering whether to move some of my points around for my Field Agent though maybe swapping some points from one of the higher ranked sections to more points in sabotage for extra hacking skills (seeing as my EMP carrying won't be as high due to casual wear).

Spiked

Spiked

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
I did one playthrough roleplaying casual type of guy. Not taking things seriously, joking and flirting all the time, going on missions in casual clothing, thinking in a "kill or be killed" kind of way. So I would try to be sneaky, if I can, but if that fails, well thats just not that big of problem that shotgun and grenades can't solve. Yeah, that was fun. :) But playing like this on medium is about as hard as playing on hard difficulty with full armor, especially later on in the game.

After that, I did a playthough with a hard core professional, cool and concentrated on the mission, not ever taking human lives, going on the missions with full gear etc.

I just love roleplaying in this game.

Scarvet

Scarvet

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
My favorite build? No build.
I know I may sound like an ass, but after the "rough" ride with recruit I start to like the no skill build, well, from a challenging POV.

The most mindless is pistol/heck/tech with master awareness; allow you to know where all the enemies are and you while enjoying plenty of offensive, defensive and hacking bonus: great for speed playthrough just for the story.

Achilles

Achilles

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
After much trial and error, I think I've settled on a Field Agent/Spy build.

Stealth: 11
Pistol: 11
Sabotage: 2
Technical Aptitude: 10
Toughness: 3
Martial Arts: 9

The 12th points in stealth and pistol are just overkill and break the game (imo).

Not spending those AP there frees up other opportunities, such as 10 points in TA (which unlocks Brilliance so you can use Evasion and Shadow Operative more frequently and allows you to gather the data and save your ally during the assault on Brayko's mansion). It also unlocks Armor Customization, which provides an Endurance boost to Mike's clothing (which is nice because I rarely wear armor).

2 points in Sabotage makes minigames easier.

3 points in Toughness will boost Mike's health to 150 and improve Endurance recovery.

I was hesitant to shave so much off of Martial Arts, but honestly, because I try to use stealth take-downs as much as possible, I felt like I was spending points that never got used.

This build does require 238 AP. Normal game-play will account for 231 of those. You can pick up the other 7 via the email and intel perks, as well as Testing the Waters (should be able to get this with Mina before the Bug Al-Samad Airfield mission rather easily).

Mike only wears armor for boss fights (Stop Omen Deng, Assault on Brayko's Mansion, Intercept Marburg, etc). Generally, I try to equip his armor with Adrenaline Optimizer (reduced cool-down by 15%), Integrated Circuitry, and Reinforced Arm Guards (Weighted Arm Guards, if I can find them, since they are random loot only).

As for weapons, Hamilton pistols with Silencer (Mk 3 can be found for free in the Bug CIA Listening Post mission), Composite Pistol Grip, Featherweight Pistol Reflex Sight, and Customized Pistol Clip. I only use Tranquilizer darts (I like completing the game without killing anyone).

Lastly, I equip Mike with EMPs, Shock Mines, Flashbangs, First Aid Kits, and Epinephrine Spikes.

Achilles

Achilles

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, new favorite: Field Agent/Operative

Stealth: 12
Pistol: 14
Sabotage: 2
Technical Aptitude: 15
Toughness: 3
Martial Arts: 10

This is 231 AP (standard) + 14 AP from Testing the Waters, Variable Approach, Agent of Change, plus the email and dossier perks.

Mike forgoes armor entirely, but picks up quite a bit of endurance from the two Armor Customization bumps in Technical Aptitude and a ton more from perks (I had 150/150 Heath/Endurance respectively during End Game on my last play through).

The only money I spent was on intel, one pistol (Hamilton Duelist), a couple of weapon upgrades (Customized Pistol Clip & Customized Pistol Grip. Silencers are free and I opted not to go with a sight upgrade this time), and various gadgets (mostly EMP grenades). I ended the game with >$300k.

Master Brilliance probably breaks the game, but in my opinion, less so than Master Shadow Operative.

spartan1077

spartan1077

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:spartan1077
I've beat it way too many times and my favourite way to beat it was my first way. I started out as a recruit and put all my points into stealth first (keeps missions interesting) and pistols (Chain shot is a one shot on most bosses and making criticals while still in cover :sorcerer: ). After finishing those off I just randomly threw some in martial arts or w/e.

In Hind sight I think I should've put one point for interference because the hacking becomes really hard. *SPOILER* when going back to AP it makes it so much easier is you have smgs and some points since stealth doesn't always work there.
Sorry I don't have exact numbers but just throw them all in three >_< and then you just run around levels invisible and one shot people from cover.

I only had to buy the tactical stealth armor(must save Sis(who is strangely attractive :brows: ) since it's from G22) and I stopped buying intel once I hit rome because they do help but not that much.

obliviondoll

obliviondoll

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
My favourite so far is Stealth/Pistols/Sabotage, with a few points to SMGs and the first 3 levels of Toughness - adding 50% to your base health is well worth spending 12AP on, but I rarely get shot/hit enough to need even that much. I guess I just like to have that extra bit of a safety net...

Basically, I try to stay mostly invisible, but when things go wrong at point-blank, my SMGs can fix the problem.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9215 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My last replay that I just finished, playing as a Recruit, I decided to max out pistol, assault rifle, and sabotage. It seems to be an effective build for both stealth and run-and-gun. My pistol (with silencer) allowed for a lot of quiet kills, but my assault rifle ability also allowed me to exchange long range fire the times I was caught sneaking around. And sabotage let me hack into any computer, pick any lock, and disable any security system with ease.

I might try a stealth build next, but I'm not big on sneaking around. I'll do it for the most part, but if there's a room full of enemies and it looks like it'll be very difficult to sneak past, I just open fire.

Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Silver Backer
Pistols + Tech Aptitude + Martial Arts

Assault Rifles as secondary weapon.

It's quite satisfying drop-kicking people in the face and chain-shotting everything to oblivion.

Eingradd

Eingradd

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Silver Backer

I always love playing through Alpha Protocol with different builds, just to see how well certain abilities mesh.

My initial build was (and all the ones I list initially will be the ones specialized in) Pistols, Stealth, and Assault Rifle.

Most efficient build was Sabotage, Pistols, and Technical Aptitude.

Current Favorite is Martial Arts, Sabotage, Stealth.

I feel the second build is the most efficient because, and let's be honest here, you'll never need anything other than pistols after getting Chain Shot, Technical Aptitude just gives you a whole mess of goodies, and Sabotage allows you an easier time in hacing and lockpicking while also giving some decent abilities. The third build is my current favorite due to an idea I had while browsing the internet one day: that of a close quarters, near invisible assassin with a heart of gold. That I can actually play Thorton to fit this character I conjured brings me no small amount of joy.

I really couldn't tell you why I like the first build, other than that it was just how I played it the first time through and it stuck with me because of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users