Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modding Alpha Protocol

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3012 posts

Modding AP would be interesting, especially since Sis is mute ... modders could easily enlarge her role in the story, I think, with a little work. But beyond that? I don't think much else can be done with this game, the stealth mechanics don't seem salvageable to me. At least when I compare this game to Thief or Hitman Bloodmoney. I mean, shadow operative, really? And the levels are just too linear, not enough routes to complete missions (ala Deus Ex). I doubt there will be a community patch - I mean, Mass Effect was much more popular at release than AP was, has numerous aspects that could be improved, uses the same engine... and I'm pretty sure there aren't any mods/community patches for ME.

Clearly, you don't know anything about modding, mate... Look what we did for STALKER here.

-_-

You are on the Lurk team?! You are automatically my favorite person :* On that note when will V1.1 ready? >-<

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Followup on noisestats -

It *does* work and it does make a big difference. I found that spiking up noise values for sneaking (RECON) and open door too much meant you could not do Parker's espionage training (both 'normal' and 'secret') without being detected! Putting up recon too much would mean that even if you snuck up to an enemy from ehind they would become alerted just before you did the takedown.

Lots of tweaking still needed, what I ideally want is for it to be really really hard to be able to take out people inside a building or a courtyard without other enemies in that same area noticing. i.e. a lot more yellow arrows (suspicious enemies).

BTW: do you think we could get some sub-forum for mod related subjects only? As I think it might be worth it in long run. Just an idea, anyway.

No idea, maybe later on I can suggest it if we get more modding stuff going on, but it's not my call. :aiee:

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1676 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

@Zoraptor after thinking about gear prices... There's a lot of "DefaultValue" and "BlackmarketValue" along with some modifiers all over the place. I'm considering changing those (or taking your "nuke from the orbit" method) and starting new game to see is there any direct link or they're obsolete/archive files. Maybe there's a chance that they're somehow compiled into binary packs (saves or whatever) after you choose difficulty? Since there are no different "profiles" for each gameplay that might be it... Worth try.

I wouldn't have thought they could be compiled into the saves as they are so small and seem to be totally dedicated to stat/ perk/ skill/ rep and mission tracking.

I did try changing all the values that might have made a difference in the relevant bits of armor.upk and ammo.upk (even the default number of bullets sold) to no effect.

There is a "suppress=inventory" line in APEngine.ini I may try removing and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by Zoraptor, 14 June 2010 - 06:01 PM.

Luckmann

Luckmann

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 359 posts
MarteenDee, I decided to register for the sole purpose of thanking you for your config tweaks. Not only does my Alpha Protocol run much better now, but it even looks better! :p

Top notch!

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2451 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hey, took a while but here are two screenshots of the problem with character models at a distance I have:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any clues?

Spiked

Spiked

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
Yes, this problem really annoys me too. At first I didn't have it, but later on, around my second, or third playhtough it started, and now I have it all the time, whenever a character is in the distance.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'load the whole level and only stream textures' ini tweak?

BTW, the animation tweaks are great, except for the slow walking speed, it makes crouched walk look silly. Is there a way to slow that animation down, perhaps, so that Mike makes less but longer steps, like in splinter cell? Or something? I got used to the animation, but I would mind if it could be changed somehow, to be honest.

Also, one other question: can the camera angles be tweaked, so that its more to the side, and not behind Mike's back, thats so 2005. :D

Edited by Spiked, 18 June 2010 - 04:18 AM.

zkylon

zkylon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wow, that eye bug sure is disturbing.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2451 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
:lol: Yeah, it looks pretty freaky.

Maybe it has something to do with the 'load the whole level and only stream textures' ini tweak?

I don't think so. I use one of those tweaks to remove stutters but I had this problem on my first runthrough as well (where I hadn't changed the ini).

Spydude

Spydude

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

Yes, this problem really annoys me too. At first I didn't have it, but later on, around my second, or third playhtough it started, and now I have it all the time, whenever a character is in the distance.

BTW, the animation tweaks are great, except for the slow walking speed, it makes crouched walk look silly. Is there a way to slow that animation down, perhaps, so that Mike makes less but longer steps, like in splinter cell? Or something? I got used to the animation, but I would mind if it could be changed somehow, to be honest.

Also, one other question: can the camera angles be tweaked, so that its more to the side, and not behind Mike's back, thats so 2005. :D

You can change the values yourself in APGame.ini and find what works best. Make sure you can still outrun Brayko though. lol I believe you can press 'V' to slighty alter the camera to each side.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Walking "looking" silly won't be fixed, though - you'd need to make new animations.

Luckmann

Luckmann

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 359 posts
I don't suppose anyone is working on a savegame editor of some kind?

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

:lol: Yeah, it looks pretty freaky.

I don't think so. I use one of those tweaks to remove stutters but I had this problem on my first runthrough as well (where I hadn't changed the ini).

It's textures clipping on low-lod models. Might have something to do with really low draw distance. You may try this: open your APEngine.ini and try to alter values to what I'm showing below:

MinTextureDensity=1.0

if that doesn't help, move further down and try these:

SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1

TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_2048=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_1024__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_1024__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_512___PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_512___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_512___PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_512___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_256___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_256___X_256___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_256___X_256___PS3_128=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_128___X_128___PS3_128=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_64____X_64____PS3_64=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=64,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_32__PS3_32=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
MaxTranslucencyLayers=20
DisableShaderModel3=False
DisableShadowVolumes=False
DisableHWShadowMaps=False
ShadowBufferResolution=2048
MaxShadowResolution=2048
MinShadowResolution=62
ShadowResolutionScale=1.0

Should help - I haven't yet observed any texture clipping (z-fighting) in my game.
But it might be also some specific graphic card or drivers problem. What GFX guys and what drivers version?

MarteenDee, I decided to register for the sole purpose of thanking you for your config tweaks. Not only does my Alpha Protocol run much better now, but it even looks better! :o

Top notch!

Thank you. I'm happy it's all working for you. Enjoy the game (and the forums).
:)

Edited by MarteenDee, 18 June 2010 - 07:15 PM.

Zstar20

Zstar20

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Zstar20
Just signed up to say that you guys are awesome for figuring all of this out, can't wait to see what you guys will come up with in the end. :woot:

Spiked

Spiked

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
Ok, so this is what I changed in MarteenDee's animation tweaks:

MoveSpeedNormal=220
SprintSpeed=350

I think the rest is the same, and I'm really, really liking how the game feels now. Thorton isn't running like a madman everywhere, and now it seams as if there are animation transitions when walking or sneaking, he doesn't just turn around instantly. I understand some people prefer responsibility from controls, but I like it better this way.

So once again, thats for the tweaks Marteen. o:)

s0meguy

s0meguy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
MarteenDee did you have any luck opening/seeing the possibility to edit stuff with the UDK like you said you were going to try early in this thread?

I bet there's custom (fanmade) tools made for other UE3 games. Worth looking into.

Edited by s0meguy, 21 June 2010 - 11:10 PM.

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

MarteenDee did you have any luck opening/seeing the possibility to edit stuff with the UDK like you said you were going to try early in this thread?

I bet there's custom (fanmade) tools made for other UE3 games. Worth looking into.

I was checking most of them already.
Haven't been fiddling with UDK much since, as I'm quite busy right now in RL.

Problem with licensed UE3 is, that every new game can introduce special "protection" for .upk files which prevents them from opening/unpacking. So, every game build on licensed UE3 is having different header in .upk (you can check it via any hex editor).

I've seen some info on upcoming patch, so there's hope that the most wanted fixes will be applied. For now - try .ini fixes posted in this and other threads. We'll see what we might achieve after the patch...

Foxhack

Foxhack

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
I'd be interested in modding, too. Especially the modeling section. But as sad as it is I don't believe in dev support for modding in near future. The question was asked several times before the release already and Obsidian clearly stated they don't plan to support modders. If anybody can prove me wrong I'd actually be glad.

Sorry for Off-Topic but I felt obliged to comment.

Hf

AKAmasol

AKAmasol

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
MarteenDee, can you help me, please? I want reduce font of subtitles.
In Alpha Protocol\Engine\Localization\INT\Engine.int have string

[ExampleGameMenu]
InlineFontSampleText=These words are small... <Fonts:EngineFonts.LargeFont>these words are big,<Fonts:/> and these words are back to normal.

Example of subtitles in Alpha Protocol\APGame\Localization\INT\B01_P_INTRO_WAV.int

[B01_P_INTRO_19_036 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked."
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked.")
Comment="NOTES[], TRIGGER[], GLOSSARY[]"
bMature=False

I tried

[B01_P_INTRO_19_036 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked."
Subtitles[0]=(Text=<Fonts:EngineFonts.TinyFont>"Disabling the security system now - the door should be unlocked."<Fonts:/>)
Comment="NOTES[], TRIGGER[], GLOSSARY[]"
bMature=False

But that is no worked. Any ideas?

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7018 posts
  • Backer
*Looks at AKAmasol's avatar*
DAMN, now I know why the T_T emote was always so friggin' familiar.

spoit

spoit

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I wonder if it would be possible to use a similar method for the model swaps in ME2 to get the tux from the Al Bara mission to replace the other clothes models

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users