Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modding Alpha Protocol

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Spiked

Spiked

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
Any news on the walking animation? Is there a way to bind it to a new button or something?

Edited by Spiked, 09 June 2010 - 07:06 AM.

zkylon

zkylon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I wonder how much time it'll take to get a romanceable Sis :lol:

I'm gonna try MarteenDee's settings tonight and post some feedback.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3572 posts

Any news on the walking animation? Is there a way to bind it to a new button or something?

Yes, you can change the settings on the DefaultInput.ini Look for the "+bindings" lines and set them to your liking.
If you are talking about the walking animations on the first minute of gameplay, then this won't help.

Edited by Orogun01, 09 June 2010 - 08:12 AM.

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

I was looking through binds and related settings as that was high on my list of fixes.
Here how it looks in my opinion:
Console controls for movement are analogue, what means, that bigger is stick pressure towards movement direction Mike is moving faster. I need to hear from people who played on consoles if animation changes for walking with slowest movement.

Now - when ported to PC, except of joystick, you don't have any other analogue controls. Keys are emulating pad controls. If you press "W" Mike is running forward with maximum speed possible, and when you stop pressing the key - Mike stops. Here's how console to PC translation looks in APinput.ini for movement:

MoveForwardSpeed=1200.000000
MoveStrafeSpeed=1200.000000

Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="Up",Command="MoveForward",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="S",Command="MoveBackward",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="Down",Command="MoveBackward",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="A",Command="StrafeLeft",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="Left",Command="StrafeLeft",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="D",Command="StrafeRight",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="Right",Command="StrafeRight",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Bold parts, as you can see, are directly connected with movement speed. What's odd, though - when I'm changing Speed=1.0 into Speed=0.1 it doesn't alter movement speed and changing MoveForwardSpeed and MoveStrafeSpeed to 100.000 seems having no effect either.
Is function Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0" used for gamepad to keyboard translation or is it for analogue joystick? If first - changing Speed=1.0 to Speed=0.1 should make Mike walking, but it isn't.

1.0 x 1200 = move forward with maximum speed and -1.0 x 1200 means moving backward with the same speed, so if I would change Speed=0.1 and MoveForwardSpeed=100 I should see Mike moving forward 10 times slower. It isn't the case, though.

Now. If it is as I think - lighter thumbstick movement means walking animation - there have to be some value = walking and everything above that value = running. In this case we have another, this time - engine related setting:

Bindings=(Name="Walking",Command="Button bRun")

which is different than, certainly AP only, scripted function:

Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="Button bShoulder_L | APInput_SprintOn | OnRelease APInput_SprintOff",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

That means two things IMO - engine-wise, there's one function "bRun" switching between walking and running. Obsidian added SprintOn/SprintOff function, and also we can definitely say that Mike is capable of walking as he walks around the room in the first scene of the game. What I was trying to do was adding it as:

Bindings=(Name="Walking",Command="Button bRun",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Walking",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="Up",Command="MoveForward",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

But after I've pressed LCtrl+W, there was no reaction - Mike was running as always. Which means that my reasoning might be wrong, or the control system is additionally scripted in the game files and any information about "bRun" functionality was removed by Obsidian and isn't present in the files used by the game.

I would encourage to have a look at these files and maybe we might eventually figure out what's the way to do it. In other case - we have to wait until having some tool for opening and compiling back game packs with scripts.

BTW - can anyone be so generous and upload for us Config files from X-Box version? I would like to compare those and see if there are some major differences. Thanks in advance.

I wonder how much time it'll take to get a romanceable Sis :lol:

I'm gonna try MarteenDee's settings tonight and post some feedback.

Just take into account that some memory and caching settings might differ from one PC to another due to hardware capabilities. If you'll experience more stuttering or graphical glitches just reduce values but still keeping them higher than vanilla. I'll maybe edit my post later today with some basic explanation for every value. You can also check Unreal Wiki for some hints.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks, MarteenDee, tried your settings and I must say the game runs much smoother than before.
Can't really say I notice any difference visually, but then again, I'm just at Saudi Arabia.
Kudos! :biggrin:

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

Thanks, MarteenDee, tried your settings and I must say the game runs much smoother than before.
Can't really say I notice any difference visually, but then again, I'm just at Saudi Arabia.
Kudos! :sorcerer:

I'm happy tweaks are working for you.

Definitely, proper caching is doing its job. If you've used all settings visual difference isn't obvious but there is some. Especially in the way how shadows are cast and that they're less blocky and way smoother. Also slightly better textures in the distance.

It seems impossible to edit previous posts, so I'll make another list of changes with short explanation later.

Orchomene

Orchomene

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've modified my APEngine following your guidelines and it most of the stuttering issues.
I've almost not touched the shadows part, yet.
I'll have a look at the other settings and see what I can understand, then test.

Orchomene

Orchomene

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
In APGame.ini, it's pretty clear the following section can be modded to change the threshold for perk reception :
Of course, there are some spoilers.
[APGame.APRPG_AbilityManager]
Spoiler

Same file, what follows
[APGame.APCharacterCreationManager]
may be changed for customization of the facial modifications.

Edited by Orchomene, 09 June 2010 - 11:32 AM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
But clearly, the variables are defined elsewhere - if they could be found we could make totally new perks, or edit existing perks to totally new things.

Spydude

Spydude

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
MarteenDee, can any of the values you listed be higher or are those settings as high as it will go without crashing? For instance, is it possible to raise the minshadowresolution to 128 or 256 to improve shadows or does it only cull shadows below the value you set?

Edit: You can also edit the max decals and decal lifetime in APGame. I haven't tested it yet if it actually increases them.

Edited by Spydude, 09 June 2010 - 01:06 PM.

player1

player1

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But clearly, the variables are defined elsewhere - if they could be found we could make totally new perks, or edit existing perks to totally new things.

True. Still, it's nice that some values used by game are exposed in ini files, so some tweaking can be done.

Also note that in perk list in ini file, only perks that have some value associated with them are listed there, not all possible perks.

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

I'm thinking the same. These might be just settings for something tied with how much whatever is needed to get that perk or how much bonus you get when perk is acquired. I bet those values change when you choose game difficulty or between Rookie/Veteran type of game.
In other words, maybe it's possible to alter them after you choose difficulty to make the game either more difficult or easier in some areas.
Whole "rule" though which "writes" those values in ini file is buried somewhere in the scripts for sure. Would be cool to compare those values with different difficulties or character choices.

MarteenDee, can any of the values you listed be higher or are those settings as high as it will go without crashing? For instance, is it possible to raise the minshadowresolution to 128 or 256 to improve shadows or does it only cull shadows below the value you set?

Edit: You can also edit the max decals and decal lifetime in APGame. I haven't tested it yet if it actually increases them.

With MaxShadowResolution it's definitely possible - but on the other hand I haven't seen a system which would easily digest shadows with resolution bigger than 4096. As I said - I'm tweaking values to get the best visuals possible without putting strain on my system, hence the values.

Don't make MinShadowResolution bigger than 32 as it will cause massive glitches.

It's simple: shadows needs to be scaled not only within a distance but also, for example, on face - if you stop the game from using lower resolution shadows (MinShadowResolution > 32) low resolution shadows won't scale to certain level and won't be rendered.

john1231

john1231

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
anyone knows how to get modified stuff ingame (textures/models and stuff?) - or is it not possible?
is there some sort of override folder or do we have to repackage stuff? hope someone knows...

only ini tweaking = o:)

irakmata

irakmata

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
I want to modify (speed) the very fast transition "Cover - Aiming" Any ideas???

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

anyone knows how to get modified stuff ingame (textures/models and stuff?) - or is it not possible?
is there some sort of override folder or do we have to repackage stuff? hope someone knows...

only ini tweaking = -_-

Instead of -_- and :) and o:) you can search the web for any Unreal 3 tools and try to bring us something :w00t:

I want to modify (speed) the very fast transition "Cover - Aiming" Any ideas???

You might want to check some values in APGame.ini, right next to all movement settings. I wasn't fiddling with those yet so you may find something interesting and share it with us...

Edited by MarteenDee, 09 June 2010 - 02:19 PM.

irakmata

irakmata

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
I think I tried everything with no results. But should be capable of being modified...

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3572 posts

I'm thinking the same. These might be just settings for something tied with how much whatever is needed to get that perk or how much bonus you get when perk is acquired. I bet those values change when you choose game difficulty or between Rookie/Veteran type of game.
In other words, maybe it's possible to alter them after you choose difficulty to make the game either more difficult or easier in some areas.
Whole "rule" though which "writes" those values in ini file is buried somewhere in the scripts for sure. Would be cool to compare those values with different difficulties or character choices.

Those are the requirements to unlock the perk changing the number after the = allows you to mod it. Works quite well but doesn't affect the values of the perks themselves maybe after some looking around, someone will find them.

john1231

john1231

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

only ini tweaking = -_-

Instead of -_- and :down: and :yucky: you can search the web for any Unreal 3 tools and try to bring us something :w00t:

well not the answer i had hoped for... you now its hard to start modding from 0% so i thought maybe someone already got the solution or something..
anyway retexturing is possible the easy way by using texmod.. it works!
see here:
Posted Image

MarteenDee

MarteenDee

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts
Ultimate APEngine.ini modification for super smooth gameplay:

[MemoryPools]
FLightPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize=512
FModShadowPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize=512

Change 512 in both instances with the value appropriate for your RAM. I have 4GB and changed values to 2048.

These two measure how much memory Alpha Protocol can use on your system. It doesn't removes completely stutter when AI spawns and doesn't help with Clearinghouse though. But all gameplay is a lot smoother (if you removed FPS cap beforehand, of course).

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Space
Smoother? I've been getting 60fps on this game easily. This really doesn't feel like a very demanding game.

Or do you mean load times and the like?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users