Dungeon Siege 3

Square Enix Announces Partnership With Obsidian Entertainment for Dungeon Siege 3

Square Enix announced today that it is partnering with Obsidian Entertainment on Dungeon Siege 3. With input from the original developer, Gas Powered Games, Obsidian Entertainment will develop the next incarnation of the Dungeon Siege franchise with Square Enix as the game's publisher. Coming for the first time to high-def home video game consoles, Dungeon Siege 3 will be available for PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

Dungeon Siege 3 is representative of Square Enix's ongoing strategic partnerships with Western game developers and its commitment to increasing its presence in the North American market. The game will bring together the beloved aspects of the Dungeon Siege franchise with Obsidian Entertainment's expertise, to create an evolved action-RPG experience. In addition to its arrival on high-def consoles for the first time, the game will also feature an all-new co-op multiplayer mode.

Originally created by Chris Taylor and his critically-acclaimed studio Gas Powered Games, Taylor will serve as an advisor during the development of the game. Dungeon Siege 3 will seamlessly blend intuitive action gameplay and a robust RPG system in an immersive world where every decision the player makes will result in consequences.

On his involvement, Taylor comments, "It's a great pleasure to collaborate with Obsidian. They are a very talented developer who really knows what it takes to build a deep and engaging RPG experience, and I can't think of a better group to continue the Dungeon Siege series."

"It's a distinct privilege and thrill to become a part of the Dungeon Siege legacy," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO and Co-Founder of Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. "This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for both Obsidian and the franchise, and the two companies' strengths for compelling characters and storytelling will shine throughout Dungeon Siege 3."

"With their proven track record of developing some of the most exciting and engaging games in recent memory, we are honored to be working with such a talented developer as Obsidian Entertainment," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. "Square Enix is committed to expanding our portfolio of games across a wide variety of genres and we are confident we will deliver the ultimate Dungeon Siege experience that fans are looking for."

Story

Torn asunder, the delicate balance of power between the kingdom of Ehb's powerful factions has fallen apart. As one of the few remaining members of the disgraced protectors of the land, the 10th Legion, it is up to you to rebuild the once great Legion and stop Ehb from falling into darkness. Joined by a group of unique companions, you will travel through the striking land of Ehb defeating all manner of villains and beasts through a combination of heroic abilities, screen shaking magic and pure cunning.

Dungeon Siege 3 seamlessly blends intuitive action gameplay, a robust RPG system featuring a large selection of abilities, an extensive multiplayer component and the depth of story Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment are known for creating.

Features

I am from Russia, so excuse my mistakes in english.

Dear obsidian entertainment crew! Are you completely insane?

How could you think about making the third game in a click-click-click game serial?

What do you think the auditory of dungeon siege 1,2 have in common with your auditory, with people who gave alpha-protocol 7 or more points out of 10? Do you really think that at least 3% of such people, who tried dungeon siege 1 or 2, was not not bored enough to finish it? Where is non-linear gameplay and where is dungeon siege 1,2 games? Heh, diablo is much more non-linear game, you should choose class and in one class you should periodically make a choice how to advance your avatar.

Let's summurize what do you get from dungeon siege brand (you can avoid it if you would make a new game without any brand):

- bull**** makers, which made dungeon siege 1,2, would make problems for you in developing quality game of your style;

- about non-existing stupid lore (many, many monsters in series, white dogs, than spider people, then something else I believe "well" connected to dogs and spider people - I believe you are lucky I passed that **** for so long I remember white dogs and spider people)

- click-and-slash fanats are much more numbered than people who enjoy non-linear gameplay. I believe fanats of dungeon siege are commonly more linear than fanats of, for example, "sacred". You may well excpect such people would come in numbers on different forums (in much, much more numbers than those who like non-linear games) when game would be finished and would say that you made a bull****. How much points do you think game journalists would give for that game if 9 out of 10 people on forum would say that it's bull****? Of course if you'll try to make a linear slasher than you wouldn't be able to make it satisfying for lovers of dungeon siege 1,2 just because you are quite different people but you well risk to fall in eyes of your traditional auditory. Generally you would receive an epically low estimated game in your portfolio.

- the engine of dungeon sieges also of no use for you now, it is used to make even a more linear geometric levels than in alpha protocol, also it is old.

Men, people who make clever games (Fallout, VtM) have a tendency to go bunkrupt. I think that's because rulers do not need clever people. You should avoid provokations that can low your budjet.

Heh, diablo is much more non-linear game, you should choose class and in one class you should periodically make a choice how to advance your avatar.

That's... in Dungeon Siege 2.

Well, there aren't classes so you aren't locked in one specific way of dealing with enemies, helping in non-linearity, but don't mind that!

- bull**** makers, which made dungeon siege 1,2, would make problems for you in developing quality game of your style

Cause I *totally* hate AP and can't possibly think them on working on both... you're right there.

Also, I seriously doubt GPG would hire OE for their writing talent and then not allow them to use it... that would be pretty stupid. DS2 already proved they atleast try getting more narative in the games. This is a very big step forward.

- about non-existing stupid lore (many, many monsters in series, white dogs, than spider people, then something else I believe "well" connected to dogs and spider people - I believe you are lucky I passed that **** for so long I remember white dogs and spider people)

Don't forget the Hassat. I am going to be pissed if you forgot the Hassat.

Don't recall "spider people" (you mean Zaramoth/Cinbri?) nor "white dogs" though. Must have played different dungeon sieges.

You may well excpect such people would come in numbers on different forums (in much, much more numbers than those who like non-linear games) when game would be finished and would say that you made a bull****.

That would be nice. It was really really lonesome on the Dungeon Siege 2 forums :(.

How much points do you think game journalists would give for that game if 9 out of 10 people on forum would say that it's bull****?

The reviews usually come before the forumposts though... see Alpha Protocol.

Of couto rse if you'll try to make a linear slasher than you wouldn't be able to make it satisfying for lovers of dungeon siege 1,2 just because you are quite different people

OF COURSE I am. It's not like I have been here 4 years before the announcement, liking Baldur's Gate or IceWind Dale or Planescape: Torment or Vampire: Bloodlines or Alpha Protocol or... [Cut due to too long]

- the engine of dungeon sieges also of no use for you now, it is used to make even a more linear geometric levels than in alpha protocol, also it is old.

Because using new engines in sequels in unheard off, right? UT99 also uses UE3, didn't it?

Anyway, this should suit the people who whine Alpha Protocol is ugly, since Dungeon Siege usually looked pretty slick on release. Not as slick as Diablo II some people claim (but those are morons. Are you ****ing serious? Diablo 2?) of course, because people are, in general, pretty ****ing stupid and will always find something to whine about.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

wow after all the mystery surrounding what this new undertaking would be i am seriously underwhelmed...

dungeon siege... really..? :(

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I admit, I'm positively gobsmacked by this. I didn't really hate Dungeon Siege, but to pretend it was anything more than a fun little Diablo-clone romp would be heresy. I can't believe that my second-favorite game company hasn't made a game of interest to me since the original NWN2, and has no plans to make anything of interest to me in the future (with the possible exception of Fallout: Las Vegas... jury is out on that).

Maybe it's just hard times in the gaming business, and they've gotta take what they can get to keep afloat. I'm just very, very disappointed in this news.

I admit, I'm positively gobsmacked by this. I didn't really hate Dungeon Siege, but to pretend it was anything more than a fun little Diablo-clone romp would be heresy. I can't believe that my second-favorite game company hasn't made a game of interest to me since the original NWN2, and has no plans to make anything of interest to me in the future (with the possible exception of Fallout: Las Vegas... jury is out on that).

Maybe it's just hard times in the gaming business, and they've gotta take what they can get to keep afloat. I'm just very, very disappointed in this news.

Same here (except no NWN 2, mostly KotOR 2 here), although if we're lucky they'll mess with the setting so much it'll turn into a really good fantasy RPG. With characters. And a story.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Maybe you should play DS, and then you will see that it is not a diablo clone.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

I liked Dungeon Siege, but I don't think you'll get very far arguing that it WASN'T a dungeon crawl (Diablo clone).

I liked Dungeon Siege, but I don't think you'll get very far arguing that it WASN'T a dungeon crawl (Diablo clone).

Read my sig, I'm here for a few hours, and I already had enough discussing that LOL. Why do you guys consider hack & slash RPGs controlled with the mouse diablo clones? Dungeon Siege is unique in many ways.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

Read my sig, I'm here for a few hours, and I already had enough discussing that LOL. Why do you guys consider hack & slash RPGs controlled with the mouse diablo clones? Dungeon Siege is unique in many ways.

Because it's easy to type and everyone knows what Diablo is and how it played.

And yet Dungeon Siege didn't play anything like Diablo, so typing it that way does seem a bit odd.

IE to my mind Diablo is about preset classes with skill trees and randomly generated levels in a game that only has multiple characters in multiplayer

Dungeon Siege had no classes and one could pick from any skill in the first one and it had a predefined map and has a party based gameplay.

About all they had in common was both having action based gameplay. Because if being a "dungeon crawl" makes you a clone of Diablo then Diablo is a clone of every "dungeon crawl" that came before it (which it isn't).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And yet Dungeon Siege didn't play anything like Diablo, so typing it that way does seem a bit odd.

IE to my mind Diablo is about preset classes with skill trees and randomly generated levels in a game that only has multiple characters in multiplayer

Dungeon Siege had no classes and one could pick from any skill in the first one and it had a predefined map and has a party based gameplay.

About all they had in common was both having action based gameplay. Because if being a "dungeon crawl" makes you a clone of Diablo then Diablo is a clone of every "dungeon crawl" that came before it (which it isn't).

youwin.jpg

Either way Diablo was the FAR superior game, people call it a diablo clone because the original Diablo reinvented the hack and slash dungeon crawler loot fest that games like rogue had started and moved it in to 3d. There have been many "diablo clones" since.... sacred, titan quest, fate, nox, and yes..... Even Dungeon siege. You

Edited by Freeid

I'm not taking Diablo clone as an insult - I actually like Diablo and Diablo 2 pretty well (and someday i might actually finish Diablo 2's expansion).

But Diablo is neither the beginning or ending of games (I can think of earlier isometric hack and slash games - Arcus Odyssey on the Genesis, for example, from 1991; random loot drops are par for the course with roguelikes in my experience) and I think it limits discussion to put games in the "Diablo clone" box as if they have nothing to offer that Diablo doesn't have.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not taking Diablo clone as an insult - I actually like Diablo and Diablo 2 pretty well (and someday i might actually finish Diablo 2's expansion).

But Diablo is neither the beginning or ending of games (I can think of earlier isometric hack and slash games - Arcus Odyssey on the Genesis, for example, from 1991; random loot drops are par for the course with roguelikes in my experience) and I think it limits discussion to put games in the "Diablo clone" box as if they have nothing to offer that Diablo doesn't have.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

I've played both DS 1 and DS 2 and the expansion. I liked it very much for a fun romp dungeon crawl hack-and-slash. Played both games numerous times. However, it's not the kind of game I was hoping to see from Obsidian.

Oh? What kind of game will DS 3 be? o:)

Apparently it will be a Dungeon Siege game. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

I'm surprised you're pushing this point when you're aware of the evidence that it will be a strongly story-driven game.

Edited by Krezack

Oh? What kind of game will DS 3 be? :p

Apparently it will be a Dungeon Siege game. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

I'm surprised you're pushing this point when you're aware of the evidence that it will be a strongly story-driven game.

Lets hope its not anything like FF13.

I never played DS2, but I enjoyed DS1 so much. I loved how the multiplayer world was huge and expansive and non-linear (in a sense). Oh, and packmules.