Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it possible to stealth the US Embassy in Moscow?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Paine

Paine

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Backer
So, I'm heading to the US Embassy. Albatross is my handler, I sneak in the roof entrance without being seen at all. I take out a bunch of VCI guys on my way through the mission, and the Marine outside the front door is an ally as I'm protecting Surkov.

But my debriefing says in red text that I decided to do a frontal assault rather than sneaking in, and that Marines died in the process. What the hell?

dan107

dan107

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 117 posts

So, I'm heading to the US Embassy. Albatross is my handler, I sneak in the roof entrance without being seen at all. I take out a bunch of VCI guys on my way through the mission, and the Marine outside the front door is an ally as I'm protecting Surkov.

But my debriefing says in red text that I decided to do a frontal assault rather than sneaking in, and that Marines died in the process. What the hell?

You can gain entry by just talking to the guard and convincing him to let you in. See if that helps.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I had the same issue. I did get into some shootouts with the VCI folks upstairs (which, from their numbers and positioning, looked pretty inevitable to me), but I thought at the time that I had avoided taking out any of the embassy guards. Upon reflection, I suspect that 2 enemies I capped on my way down the stairs when leaving were actually embassy folks. (By that point, I had switched to non-tranq ammo and was into a groove of sneaking and headshotting mooks, so I didn't notice they were wearing different hats than the VCI mercs.) The mission was hard enough that I didn't think repeating it to get this right would be worthwhile, though, so I can't confirm my theory.

Edited by Enoch, 07 June 2010 - 09:11 AM.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2704 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I do believe there's also a perk you can gain.. that is if you also bluffed Nasri's guards as well. I seem to recall mention of a "These are not the droids you're lookng for" type perk for bluffing your way past two sets of armed guards... Which is pretty much Nasri's guards, and the Marine's guarding the embassy isn't it?

dan107

dan107

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 117 posts

I do believe there's also a perk you can gain.. that is if you also bluffed Nasri's guards as well. I seem to recall mention of a "These are not the droids you're lookng for" type perk for bluffing your way past two sets of armed guards... Which is pretty much Nasri's guards, and the Marine's guarding the embassy isn't it?

Yep.

Paine

Paine

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Backer
Thanks for the intel about bluffing the door guard. But wouldn't you think that sneaking in the roof should count as sneaky even if it doesn't involve bluffing? The red text about a full frontal assault still sounds wrong to me.

It seems like a big deal because it's one of the things that Leland later references as evidence that you "can't go home again."

Edited by Paine, 07 June 2010 - 10:02 AM.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah, "Those aren't the agents you're looking for" it's called IIRC.

And the embassy as a whole is severly bugged in it's post-mission evaluation. Nothing to do about that than wait for the enevitable patch I guess...

chestersmurf

chestersmurf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:bournkiller
might also be because an alarm got set off at somepoint and the game is set up to think that an alarm means you personally were detected, not taking into account that their is a full on raid on the building.

zkylon

zkylon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

"These are not the spies you're looking for", i think. I remember the requisite being talking your way out of three fights. I did the, um, deep voiced sky masked fellow at Nasri's, the Embassy guard and forgot the other one.

Alpha

Alpha

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Bad Instincts
I could without talking with the guards. But the info at the end say that i decided to use force when i didn't.

Edited by Alpha, 07 June 2010 - 09:26 PM.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8213 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I could without talking with the guards. But the info at the end say that i decided to use force when i didn't.

Honestly, I kinda dropped it in the same catagory as "whups, accidently killed a solitary CIA agent in a positional accident" and then you look at debriefs etc and find "OMG! YOU SLAUGHTERED THEM ALL!" is the response.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yep, was doing the mission last night and got that perk, always talk my way in when I can.

I'm also getting the "You killed everyone" results as well, which is annoying me as I'm sure I managed it first time through the game without getting it, especially as I had a different conversation with Surkhov as a result when I first met him, though that may have been because I was wearing plain clothes the first time I tried it. Might try it with plain clothes again and see if that makes any difference.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8752 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You can stealth the entire mission, I did. However, it's pretty damn hard, and you'd need high level shadow operative to get you past sticky bits.

As for the post mission reports getting it wrong... well, what can I say, you were unlucky to get the bug. I got the right result and the perk. :(

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Perhaps the mission counts the auto-turrets as "Marines"? They're generally the biggest challenge that my character build would have in being completely stealthy.

Next time I try it, I'll use nothing but tranq ammo (even on the turrets) and see if that works.

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts

"These are not the spies you're looking for", i think. I remember the requisite being talking your way out of three fights. I did the, um, deep voiced sky masked fellow at Nasri's, the Embassy guard and forgot the other one.

Agents, actually. :facepalm:
Nevermind, what I'd like to ask what is the proper way to bluff them?
When I chose the Draw Weapon option, and tricked the embassy guards, I got the achievement somehow. So I don't get it, what count as bluffing Nasri's guards?

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8752 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nasri's door guards are bluffed by an aggressive / direct approach, because that's what they will suspect the least. Clever answers will just put them on their guard.

With the embassy guards, it depends. In my walkthrough they were marines - and with them, the professional approach works best.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wheter it are plain 'guard' marines or full-clad marines depends on how you deal with Grigori (since he warns the embassy) if you deal with him at all...

Didn't have trouble with either, just report that you're expected, then wait patiently, end.

Alpha

Alpha

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Bad Instincts
If you wait patiently the VCI/G22 don't attack?

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8213 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
They attack under any circumstances.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members