Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who you would like to play as protagonist in AP 2

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Who you want to play a s protagonist in AP 2? (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Who you would like to play in AP 2?

1. Mike Thorthon (46 votes [43.81%])

Percentage of vote: 43.81%

2. Steven Heck (9 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

3. Sis (7 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Sie (3 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

5. G22 agent (5 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

6. VCI guard (1 votes [0.95%])

Percentage of vote: 0.95%

7. New character (34 votes [32.38%])

Percentage of vote: 32.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

Curator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
O RLY? I found Sis to be very communicative with her facial expressions in the game, and sticking a dossier in someone's face and looking menacing can do a lot for you.

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts

O RLY? I found Sis to be very communicative with her facial expressions in the game, and sticking a dossier in someone's face and looking menacing can do a lot for you.

Oh really.

That's reactive communication you're talking about. And it works great with her character, but as a Protagonist... Well, it could work, for an adventure game maybe, or something like that.
But as a protagonist in the next conspiracy-driven field agent game? I'm not so sure.

Dialogues are an important (an extremely important and non-dismissable) device for telling the story. So as much as I like how her character was written and played out, I can't think of her as the protagonist for a sequel.

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'll point out that Half-Life 2 managed to tell its story just fine with Freeman never saying a word, and then disagree with your statement that a silent (but, unlike Gordon Freeman, active) protagonist couldn't be fun.

But it's really not important, because it'd never happen even if Obsidian agreed with me. :p

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
HL2 is an FPS, not a RPG.

It would be a little hard to do a system like AP uses, but with just facial animations (for instance, you need like 100x more not to repeat the same ones over, if it's the protagonist. I don't even want to think about how much work that is...

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7313 posts
Hire more animators on the money you spare on the VA? ;)

Edited by Oner, 13 June 2010 - 01:14 PM.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Even so, the whole pro/neg system would be hard.

(Suave?) ANIME KAWAI look? +REP
(Aggressive?) Stoic look? -REP
(Professional?) Blank stare. -/- REP

Although I guess you can make a game out of punching people or shooting them or hitting them with vodka... ;)

Alpha

Alpha

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Bad Instincts
or yes , no moving the head, a wink or a kick in the center of the legs.

mr insomniac

mr insomniac

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 982 posts
Scanned briefly through all the comments so far, and I didn't see anyone mention Heck?

He would be an unbelievable protagonist, and by that I mean awesome.

At least he got a few votes.

Kamikaze_Watermelon

Kamikaze_Watermelon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
Either Mike, or a new protagonist.

I wouldn't mind Sis as the protagonist, but I don't have arguments for or against it.

loke13

loke13

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts

If not, then an option of importing your previous super god would be an option, but that'd throw the whole balance out of whack. Unless you scale the difficulty accordingly.

A case could be made for starting a new identity since it would eliminate the problems associated with importing Mike from the first game. It could also provide another perspective on the whole situation. Hell, AP2 could go 3 steps further and include both a Mike storyline (imported with all his godly stats and a real super hard campaign) and a new character (easier campaign since he's not a super-god).

I actually think this idea is the best. Or you could have them switching thru the two characters you could have them doing work on opposites sides of the world then have there story mesh together at the end part of the game.

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would do it a different way... In normal mode Mike does the campaign and gets help from experts as he goes along. In Hard mode Mike does the campaign but everything is tougher because he's getting help from a single rookie, but you get to play that rookie through some shortish missions (each about as long as the Ruins?).

Archmonarch

Archmonarch

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1461 posts
That's not a bad idea. And I fully support playing Mike in a sequel, especially since I took over Leland's position as master manipulator/man behind the throne in the endgame. How awesome would it be to play the role of something similar to Halbech, using all the allies you acquired throughout the game to set up situations pushing the world in the direction you choose?

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Considering the possible ends to AP1, it would be quite a feat to continue with that onto AP2, without it feeling extremely corny.

So, I still go for a new char, however what you did in AP1 does show up and tweaks things slighty (you know, like ME2 did).

Archmonarch

Archmonarch

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1461 posts
There's really only five basic endings: taking down Halbech (fighting Leland), taking down Alpha Protocol (fighting Westridge), taking down both (fighting Leland and Westridge), taking down Alpha Protocol and working for Leland/Halbech (fighting Westridge) or taking down Alpha Protocol and taking over Halbech (fighting Westridge, betraying Leland). Granted there are some variations, such as whether you kill the final boss(es), what allies/enemies you had and which survive, whether you turned Marburg and/or Parker, who if anyone accompanies you on the boat out, but really I don't see it as being anything Obsidian couldn't handle if they tried.

Besides, can you think of an RPG where you are the true manipulator/plotter and the story isn't based upon being played by others/set up on long quests for others? One where the option to take over isn't just in the endgame?

Edited by Archmonarch, 15 June 2010 - 06:46 PM.

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Besides, can you think of an RPG where you are the true manipulator/plotter and the story isn't based upon being played by others/set up on long quests for others? One where the option to take over isn't just in the endgame?

For that matter can you think of any movies where the main character is the true manipulator (and the audience isn't being manipulated by him too!) and the story isn't based upon him being played by the true manipulator and others?

Only movies where there is a manipulator, of course.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7313 posts
Arguably Man from Earth. o:)

Serrano

Serrano

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1160 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sgt. Bilko?

naarkh

naarkh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
Voted for SIE since it'd be interesting(Sis also would be great but i only had one vote :)) but i wouldn't really mind a new character with a character creation screen where you can decide how you look(not only a few hairs or hats etc), your gender, your skin colour, your hair style, your face etc.(Actually will be better :lol:)

Jitawa

Jitawa

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Parker of course.

TheAssassin

TheAssassin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
Thorton all the way form me. Or at list involve him because if it is a sequel, Thorton actions shall have a huge effect on the underground, espionage, black markets, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users