The Conspiracy Against Alpha Protocol

naarkh'

But if you can PM me about the movie or tv-series that you mentioned i'll check it out

Ok I have sent you a private message.

Got it mate thank you.

Actually, BioWare used that plot way before KOTOR1.

Is that so? I wasn't into RPG's much until first KOTOR(except Fallout's) so excuse me if my post was wrong or let's say incomplete.

Anyway then it is worse :lol:

Still nothing explains why Bioware isn't accused of using "same **** different day" plots while AP, a more unique game in RPG genre takes whole flame.

Not that AP is best game ever but still i don't think it deserves that much flame even with all its flaws.

" a more unique game in RPG genre takes whole flame. "

Quality aside, AP is not unique in any way.

"you forgot to say that Mass Effect 2 story is a shameless plagiarism of a recent and famous "Sci-Fi Opera". "

if you referring to what i think you are referring to, you couldn't be way off. First, the 'sci fi opera' isn't even recent but like 3 decades old. Secondly, ME series heavily borrows (or if you want to be harsh 'rips off') many sources not just one.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

do some people think there was a conspiracy against AP?

really?

you mean, like someone snuck into the building and gave it such a crappy interface?

seems to me that it was more like self-sabotage by Obsidian - a desperate cry for help or, at least, more resources to fix the game.

i enjoyed AP and i would play a sequel. But AP also richly deserved the kicking it got for its many flaws. few of which, i should hasten to add, were to do with story.

but, and perhaps i've been spoiled recently, but AP was the shoddiest game i've played in a long while, and that includes several of those indie games that run off your browser.

the graphics? actually, i thought these looked pretty good overall. a little crude in places and certainly not state of the art, but it all looked pretty enough on my rig.

the gameplay? well, as i'm sure many have already said, it plays more like a commando game than a spy game. but it was generally fun, except when some lazy design decision or glitch meant that it wasn't, e.g. like a boss fight with endless waves of henchmen that only becomes possible to beat because the boss gets stuck in the floor or something.

i came to respect the design decision behind the checkpoint system, making it exceedingly difficult to go back and replay a key moment. that might be fine if the game worked. but it often didn't. i like that the game has a very high replay value, but my experience with its bugs makes me not want to hurry back any time soon.

the little timer on speeches? nice idea in principle but often silly in execution. me? i normally wait until the other person has finished talking before i decide what to reply. but not possible in this game apparently. it kind of breaks your story-driven, choice-driven RPG if i have to guess at what my response is to something i haven't even fully heard yet.

but the GUI? broken, broken, broken. for a game to be delayed for so long and that basic mechanic to remain unpolished reaks of a half-assed approach.

which is a real shame, because - had this game been more polished - it could have been a genuine phenomenon rather than an object of ridicule.

dumber than a bag of hammers

well about the "conspiracy" it seems that worked because in some places the game is getting sold for $39.99, only for the bad press that i received and the unfair criticism about the game.

Not out of the ordinary. I see most releases on sale for $39.99-$49.99 these days. Blur was just on sale for $39.99, too, and that's an Activision joint. Same with Split/Second, etc. New releases are on sale very early these days. I take advantage of these deals. Not to mention, I picked up Alpha Protocol for $44.99 from K-Mart when it released.

I don't think it is a sale. I think it's an official price drop to $39.99 at least in NA. Either way, I'm definitely picking this up. Price Drop

well about the "conspiracy" it seems that worked because in some places the game is getting sold for $39.99, only for the bad press that i received and the unfair criticism about the game.

Not out of the ordinary. I see most releases on sale for $39.99-$49.99 these days. Blur was just on sale for $39.99, too, and that's an Activision joint. Same with Split/Second, etc. New releases are on sale very early these days. I take advantage of these deals. Not to mention, I picked up Alpha Protocol for $44.99 from K-Mart when it released.

I don't think it is a sale. I think it's an official price drop to $39.99 at least in NA. Either way, I'm definitely picking this up. Price Drop

Considering K-Mart just had Mass Effect 2 for $19.99, Gamefly just had BioShock 2 for $16.99 and Bayonetta for $14.99, etc, I don't find it surprising. Many high rated titles that released this calendar year are already incredibly cheap. Games don't keep their value like they used to. Prices drop within mere months for even high rated titles.

Considering K-Mart just had Mass Effect 2 for $19.99, Gamefly just had BioShock 2 for $16.99 and Bayonetta for $14.99, etc, I don't find it surprising. Many high rated titles that released this calendar year are already incredibly cheap. Games don't keep their value like they used to. Prices drop within mere months for even high rated titles.

Plus, games w/ DLC released later that you have to pay for might also drive the cost of the original game down, too...

• 8 years later...

Bull ****ing ****. that Alpha Protocol deserved the reviews it got... That's just PURE BULL****!!!! The Damn game is 1 of the Top Ten of All-time and I have played all of the RPG's that matter!! What a jackass you are!!

Does anyone else see the bull **** in all this?

Yeah, but I see BS in what you're on about.
Have you played Mass Effect 2? Whether a person likes the action-focus trend of many RPGs these days, ME2 deserves all the praise it gets. There are niggling issues here and there, but overall it reeks of pure quality. The same can be said for those other games ('cept maybe Oblivion, which I thought was over-hyped).

I love Obsidian and I will keep supporting them as a company (I will preorder New Vegas, and likely their as-of-yet unannounced game), but I am dumbstruck by how delusional some people are being.

Alpha Protocol has many faults and it deserves the reviews it is getting, especially when you compare it to the competition over the last several years (and I mean the more critical US reviews, Euro reviews don't seem to find as much).

And yes, many big-name games (usually popular franchises) seem to get it easier at times. But don't try to pass off AP's deservedly lackluster ratings on some ridiculous conspiracy.