Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Money

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

NeoMorph

NeoMorph

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:EG NeoMorph
I did all the side missions and hunted for all the hidden cash yet I only had enough for a good quality combat suit for the endgame and some gun upgrades. Never had enough to get those 260k guns (is it me or are the prices WELL high for small arms weapons and ammo?).

I did spend money on Intel items in the game though.

So what's the secret... WHERE'S ALL THE CASH?

Could it be the limited number of missions (especially for an RPG... Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Dragon's Age Origins have MASSES of missions you can chose from.

My guess is you can't even loot the bodies in AP... all those guns just lying around... if I could have swiped a few I could have sold them on the black market.

Edited by NeoMorph, 31 May 2010 - 02:00 PM.

rogerX

rogerX

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
I would like to know also. I also spend most of my cash on intel. I'm trying to save 90k before the end of SA but it doesn't look I'll be able to.

Another thing I'm curious is after a mission, it shows that I acquired a certain amount of cash. Doesn't that amount get added to your current amount to get the total amount of cash you have?

EG: finished mission shows that I acquired 20k & I have 50k before I did the mission but when I go to buy new items, it shows I only have 55k. WTF?

surreal

surreal

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts

I did all the side missions and hunted for all the hidden cash yet I only had enough for a good quality combat suit for the endgame and some gun upgrades. Never had enough to get those 260k guns (is it me or are the prices WELL high for small arms weapons and ammo?).

I did spend money on Intel items in the game though.

So what's the secret... WHERE'S ALL THE CASH?

Could it be the limited number of missions (especially for an RPG... Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Dragon's Age Origins have MASSES of missions you can chose from.

My guess is you can't even loot the bodies in AP... all those guns just lying around... if I could have swiped a few I could have sold them on the black market.

No secret. Cash is limited. Look for the bags!
DA:O and ME2 also have very limited amount of cash (in DA:O you can arbitrage around that though).
It's a good system, and I like it far better than the unlimited amount of money, which turns your finances into a totally redundant aspect of the game (look at ME1 or FO3).

NeoMorph

NeoMorph

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:EG NeoMorph
But if it is a good system then why the hell have $260k+ weapons when you can't afford them.

I'm wondering if they had planned for more missions which would have boosted the amount of cash... removing the missions has meant that the cash got reduced.

Oh and if you had read my first post properly...

I did all the side missions and hunted for all the hidden cash yet I only had enough for a good quality combat suit for the endgame and some gun upgrades.

... so the "Look for the bags" quote is missing the point. Actually most of the cash came from hacks, data disks and briefcases. The bags only had small amounts of cash in them... well relatively to the other sources. I even extorted cash from the sources and transferred weapons to my home base. Personally I preferred the ME1 and FO3 models of money. Also I never found any shortage in DA:O because there are so many missions to perform and bodies to loot and sell the items from. THAT is what is missing in AP... the damned looting.

Edited by NeoMorph, 31 May 2010 - 03:33 PM.

surreal

surreal

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
In DA:O during my four playthroughs, in each one of them I bought 4-6 items from stores through the whole game (excluding gifts, which cost almost no money at all). Can't say it was much for a ~80hrs game.
In AP, during my two playthroughs I bought around the same, excluding the radio "all clear" devices which cost peanuts. Considering AP is shorter than DA:O I'd say it's definitely not that bad. Two armors and three weapons. I don't remember buying mods, I just find them on missions. Oh, and I purchased about 95% of the intel for missions (skipped only weapon drops).

Edited by surreal, 31 May 2010 - 03:45 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8748 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But if it is a good system then why the hell have $260k+ weapons when you can't afford them.

You can afford them, eventually, if you save up. Why do you think you have to be able to buy a gun when it comes up in the store? It all depends on how much money you spend on intel/perishables, and also how far you're willing to go for money (e.g. selling all Halbech info on the black market, and
Spoiler
.)

And sometimes, you just can't buy everything you want. Sounds good to me.

Hell Kitty

Hell Kitty

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2308 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I sold all my Halbech data to Scarlet, and I assume you can get a lot more money with the other options.

Deng

Deng

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts

I'm wondering if they had planned for more missions which would have boosted the amount of cash... removing the missions has meant that the cash got reduced.

This is obviously a game that doesn't hold your hand. Funds aren't unlimited, you have to be wise on what you spend, and sometimes you have to make decisions that are financially motivated, rather than acting out of morality or revenge.

... so the "Look for the bags" quote is missing the point. Actually most of the cash came from hacks, data disks and briefcases. The bags only had small amounts of cash in them... well relatively to the other sources. I even extorted cash from the sources and transferred weapons to my home base. Personally I preferred the ME1 and FO3 models of money. Also I never found any shortage in DA:O because there are so many missions to perform and bodies to loot and sell the items from. THAT is what is missing in AP... the damned looting.

In low-money games like this, taking the "moral" action actually has a financial consequence, unlike Mass Effect or Dragon Age, where you have so much money you can basically buy everything you want so there is no actual motivation to extort. Obviously AP isn't a game that let's you be the fabulously wealthy do-gooder like most RPGs out there.

Nevertheless, in my first play through I played mostly like a "good" guy, and I could buy the best armour and a third-tier weapon before the final levels. However it IS a tradeoff

Anyway, tip for making money:

- Are you SELLING your left-over gear? Sounds obvious, but selling the gold-plated SMG and Assault Rifle should net you 40K EACH. Plus the crap you find can bring in between 1K-10K per mission.
- Blackmailing Halbech should give you about 15K per email. There are about 5 in the game, so that is 75K right there.
- The sabotage skill increases the amount you receive from safes etc.
- Only upgrade weapons when there is a decent improvement. +1 just doesn't do it for me. You should be looking to upgrade once or twice at most I reckon. Good mods can often be better than a weapon purchase
- Buy intel for missions that give bonus objectives. This will often result in loot to sell or emails.
- Don't buy intel you don't need
- Don't piss of your arms connections or get dealers shut down. This will influence availability and price.
- Divert Grigori's shipment to yourself and you can sell the junk for more than he'll give you
- Spare people in exchange for cash.

Edited by Deng, 31 May 2010 - 05:40 PM.

Kenrae

Kenrae

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

No secret. Cash is limited. Look for the bags!
DA:O and ME2 also have very limited amount of cash (in DA:O you can arbitrage around that though).
It's a good system, and I like it far better than the unlimited amount of money, which turns your finances into a totally redundant aspect of the game (look at ME1 or FO3).

Amen to that. I'm sick of RPGs where you end buying absolutely everything in the game. This game is about choices and that extends to what you buy.

cesko

cesko

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Cesko
I'm just at the last mission of Saudi Arabia and I already got more then $100.000. I solled everthing I don't use, shotguns, smg and the bullets of that. I save a lot of money untill the good stuff comes and then buy it.

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
Simple. Save up the money.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm just at the last mission of Saudi Arabia and I already got more then $100.000.

Same, but stuff (especially intel) gets expensive fast. $18K for a little personal info? Darn...

Alpha

Alpha

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Bad Instincts

- Are you SELLING your left-over gear? Sounds obvious, but selling the gold-plated SMG and Assault Rifle should net you 40K EACH. Plus the crap you find can bring in between 1K-10K per mission.
- Blackmailing Halbech should give you about 15K per email. There are about 5 in the game, so that is 75K right there.
- The sabotage skill increases the amount you receive from safes etc.
- Only upgrade weapons when there is a decent improvement. +1 just doesn't do it for me. You should be looking to upgrade once or twice at most I reckon. Good mods can often be better than a weapon purchase
- Buy intel for missions that give bonus objectives. This will often result in loot to sell or emails.
- Don't buy intel you don't need
- Don't piss of your arms connections or get dealers shut down. This will influence availability and price.
- Divert Grigori's shipment to yourself and you can sell the junk for more than he'll give you
- Spare people in exchange for cash.

Nice tips Deng...a lil dumb question how do you know what intel i don't need ? . Some of them include data profiles is there a way to know which are?

Edited by Alpha, 03 June 2010 - 06:22 PM.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ehm, each intel purchase specifically states what it does, doesn't it?

I don't know what good info does, but I usually buy it since I like the background info.
Weapons/new missions are a given.
Sniperrifles seem useless, so I don't get those.
Maps are cheap, but I don't really see the use, so I don't get those either.
Some other special stuff depends on the mission/price.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2702 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The maps can be useful.. they quite often highlight cameras, locations of items you can pick up, where computers are.... sometimes even highlight "the best" stealth route ...

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The maps can be useful.. they quite often highlight cameras, locations of items you can pick up, where computers are.... sometimes even highlight "the best" stealth route ...

Is that what those little blue dots are on the map??

Alpha

Alpha

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Bad Instincts

Is that what those little blue dots are on the map??

yes.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It would be more helpful if those pickups would be removed off the map once I pick them up. As it is, without that it really isn't that helpful, and actually clutters up my map so I can't see where I should go o:).

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6993 posts
  • Backer
There's something I found weird. On my first playthrough (Field Agent) tranquilizer rounds for the pistol cost 20,000/clipMAGAZINE, while on my second playthrough (Recruit) it's just 2k. Bug?

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 4944 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sounds like it.

Although it may not be, maybe it's just a different vendor? Also, bonusses should be taken into account (5-30% from Hack, -20% ammo from Snap Snot, maybe more ammo cost reducing perks, but I only know these 2).

That certainly takes the price down quite some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users