Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Favorite characters and convos

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7293 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I don't know if it is a bug, but in the fight with Parker Scarlet hit Mike with her sniper rifle (she must've targeted a soldier I was brawling with and hit Mike instead). Insta-kill. 'Twas funny.

She's basically to Mike what the Black Cat was to Spiderman.

I got the same treatment by G22 in the final Taipei mission. They must've really hated that particular CSP.

Edited by Oner, 02 June 2010 - 01:27 AM.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1611 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
For me, favourite characters I liked were:

Sis
Mina
Darcy (I actually quite liked his joking nature, and I just love the photoshopped picture in your safehouse!)
Heck
Omen (cool professional)

Favourite characters I hate (as in, brilliant characters that really made you hate them):

Leland
Marburg (haven't managed to kill him yet, but his smugness made me immediately dislike him)
Brayko (I spared him first playthrough since I realised I had been set up, not again though)

Award for character that grew on me after initial disinterest:

Scarlet, wasn't too impressed with her but gave her a chance since she was a redhead, and her personality grew on me, and the twist! Second playthrough I also took the suave approach on the plane and her eyerolling when you tell her you're a spy is just lolworthy (and one of the best conveyance of emotion via character expression in a game I have seen for a while).

Most boring character award:

Madison, sorry but she seemed geared up to die pitifully and that's it, and so I let her fulfill her role and, well, die pitifully. Was meh to her, the worse response you can get from me for a character.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What can I expect when I'm going to play nwn2 (with expansions too), can somebody pm me about it, cause I'm curious.

NWN2 is a bit of a different beast. I recommend you avoid the OC and play straight the excellent Mask of the Betrayer expansion.

Mojito

Mojito

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Most boring character award:

Madison, sorry but she seemed geared up to die pitifully and that's it, and so I let her fulfill her role and, well, die pitifully. Was meh to her, the worse response you can get from me for a character.

Exactly. I knew she was going to die if I go to the missiles (spoilers ftw) and I let her die on purpose. I needed her only for Mike's character arc. My Mike was a reckless, co cky, chauvinistic jerk and he became more cynical and ruthless throughout the game. He needed to know how it feels to have a friend die because of him, he needed to learn that he's not invincible. That was Madison's role in the game.

Edited by Mojito, 02 June 2010 - 09:56 AM.

Wildcat84

Wildcat84

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

Favourites :

Brayko. I like his style and he has a good music taste. Also, his dossier was interesting.

I was stunned to hear Autograph "Turn Up the Radio" during the boss fight with him. As a child of the 1980's, I absolutely LOVED that part!

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3008 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I like Madison but she is undoubtedly an outsider in the cast, being pretty... well, normal and fairly innocent. And she definitely feels like a "plot helper" (though to be fair, she can have strong repercussions down the line) and some of the scenes in Rome didn't quite make sense in how they played if you treat her bad. Mike still shows that remorse if she dies. I mean, it might be part of Mike's character (even though we can affect him, he *is* out on a hero mission so to speak) but it played a bit strangely.

But I found the romance with her to be quite sweet and gave a nice touch of character to Mike as well. I liked the dialogue about Mike being so absorbed in his job and all that, just seemed to serve as a reminder that Mike has had a life outside the spy business also.

Also, if you choose her as handler for the Marburg villa mission, she has a fun line on some of the statues in the place. :)

Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
I don't know why, I'm often fascinated by antagonists. Specifically their relationship with the protagonist and the space between them ...if that makes sense. Alpha Protocol amazes me in this respect. I find Leland and Marburg such effective villains because their interactions with Mike are so compelling. They're like ...the Palpatine and Vader of the espionage world.

Edited by Tel Aviv, 02 June 2010 - 05:04 PM.

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts
Second playthrough now, I'm shooting everything up with my SMGs and being a total smartass to everyone I come across. Just hit the first Marburg convo, and instead of shooting to +5 reputation, I went to -5. It was great. Completely different conversation, and hilarious, to boot.

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
Hmm-hmm, interesting question. I tried to pull out an answer, but I realized I have to think about it.
There is SIE, who is as crazy as a women with a machine gun gets, which works great with all the 'James Bond-ish' charm. Ride of the Valkyries in the elevator made me laugh for a half min.

Then I was thinking about Heck, the utterly lunatic freelancer (myself, I'm sure he had never worked for any agencies, just made his way to this line of work somehow) with his dry cleaning solutions.

But when I think about it seriously, my favorite was Albatross. He is the definition of professionalism. Whenever I saw a spy/agent movie, I always looked out for professionals. Well, Albatross is that person.

Oner

Oner

• Members
  • 7293 posts

But when I think about it seriously, my favorite was Albatross. He is the definition of professionalism. Whenever I saw a spy/agent movie, I always looked out for professionals. Well, Albatross is that person.

This + Sis
And Albatross is paired up with Sis. Two people of awesome for the price of one.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This + Sis
And Albatross is paired up with Sis. Two people of awesome for the price of one.

Sis, however, didn't make any sense as a character. I mean really, some punk girl working as bodyguard from alleged professional leader? Doesn't ring. I assume there was more backstory material for her in the planning, but didn't get into the game.

Oner

Oner

• Members
  • 7293 posts
From the very bare bones stuff I know, I guess Alby leaves her some freedom.
'Sides, as cool as G22 armor looks, you would want some measure of individuality in your looks, no? And her prophecy or whatever could've influenced her world view/personality in a way that turned into goth-dom.

Then again, until I reach the locket part again, this is just speculation.

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
Yeah, that's true about Sis, it was strange when I found out that the two are related. But in a strange way this controversial relationship helped building up the character (at least in my vantage point).
Anyways, the greatest moment with Albatross was the fact, that even when (on my second playthrough) I made him to be my enemy in every way (by Sis, by the bug, by my behaviour), he was still willing to help me, because he saw the greater picture. That was the moment I said: Yeah, he is the professional.

cesko

cesko

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Cesko
Although G22's story is still untold, I really felt if I could join a faction it would be G22. They are professional and what thufirhawat333 said; they see the big picture. The only thing they care for is stability in the world and I think that isn't a bad idea

thufirhawat333

thufirhawat333

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
I felt the same way.
G22 is something that Alpha Protocol should have been.
Well, they are certainly not the good guys around here (neither is any agency), but their goal, agenda is clear: To preserve world stability. Maybe the trick is that they aren't ruled by a government - therefore the organization has no "... and not asking any questions" rule.

cesko

cesko

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Cesko
I would try to get Heck at G22 to, just for the fun of it, he makes everything a party!

Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts
One of my new fave convos in the game is when having Heck as Handler during the Finale and you get to the part where you get outside and the helicopter he had called in to get us out gets shot down. Not quite a word for word repeat of it but it goes something like this...

Heck: Thorton, I got good news and bad news
Thorton: Whats the bad news?
Heck: That was our chopper that was going to get us out
Thorton: Ok, whats the good news?
Heck: I took out high value insurance on it

:)

Heck has so many good lines, like his version of the line Mork says in Mork and Mindy "Heck calling Thorton, Heck calling Thorton, come in Thorton!" (or it might actually be mork calling thorton hehe) and also "Danger Mr Thorton!" said in similar vein to the robot from Lost in Space.

I think all the characters are good in their own special ways but Sie is probably my all time favourite out of the lot though. Everything about her is great, convos, emails, the romance scene and of course her humming 'Ride of the Valkyries' during the lift in the Embassy :)

Busomjack

Busomjack

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
I liked that huge conspiracy theory email that Heck sends you and the aggressive response.

"Dear Steven Heck, shut the **** up. Thanks"

BEES

BEES

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
I have to say, most of the cast is really enjoyable. The only downside is that many you don't get to interact with very much. For me it's a shame you really don't learn much about many of the characters and organizations. I still not entirely sure what G22 is, though I never did finish their dossier.

The characters that stood out for me were:

Marburg - amazing dialogue and conversations.
Leland - was wary of the time jumping narrative, but the conversations with Leland were really enjoyable. Played the villain very well.
Omen Deng - wish you had more interactions with this guy. I love his design, it's a pity he lost the cape halfway through. From what I read, his original design was that he was so skilled, he only ever used his left hand to fight.
Heck - hated the guy when I first met him but he grew on me.
Albatross and Sis - a very interesting duo that didn't get fully explained in my run.

The characters that underperformed:
Madison - I also felt this was a bit of a railroaded romance. I didn't care for her that much, but the game makes her death out to be some big emotional event.
Darcy - was disappointed since I felt this relationship had much more potential. Especially since he was tasked with hunting you down after you enact Alpha Protocol.
Michael Thorton - actually, he's not that bad, he just doesn't keep up with the rest of the cast.

I was going to mention Mina and Scarlet as poor characters too because some of their actions didn't make any sense but after a bit of research I realized I missed some of the big reveals of the game. :ermm:

Edited by BEES, 04 June 2010 - 11:12 PM.

Mojito

Mojito

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Michael Thorton - actually, he's not that bad, he just doesn't keep up with the rest of the cast.

Well, Mike is just as interesting as you are.

I didn't like Mina, I'm not quite sure why. Maybe I just don't like "by the book" people. Scarlet would be a better "voice in your ear" character. Mina is a bit boring. She barely cracked a joke throughout the entire game.

Edited by Mojito, 05 June 2010 - 06:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users