Can't walk, have to run? (walk toggle?)

I'm still just at the start of the game, I noticed right when I started I was walking..... now for some reason I seem to only have the option to RUN everywhere - which looks rather ridiculous.

For the life of me I cannot find any walk key or toggle option or anything, and there's nothing in the control options that I can see.

Am I missing something here, or am I expected to have to run constantly like a headless chicken?

PC version btw.

Actually there are 3 modes of movement:

LShift = Run

Nothing = 'Jog', which is what you're probably doing

LCtrl = Crouch.

There's no reasno for you to 'walk'... if you're wanting to be stealthy you will crouch, right?

Have a little patience... ;)

Have you tried slightly pushing the joystick instead of pushing all the way?

Because by the way you're swearing and using allcaps right now, you don't look like you'd think of this.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Calm down, people. It's a madhouse in here. ;)

deevius, so are you wanting something slower than the normal 'jog'... but not a crouch? Referring to my earlier post...

There's no reasno for you to 'walk'... if you're wanting to be stealthy you will crouch, right?

there's no reason to walk? what kind of rubbish is that. Do you constantly run around everywhere you go? It looks stupid, it ruins immersion. I'm not even in a mission, just doing the tutorial part of the game. There's no reason for me NOT to be able to walk. Wtf.

Oops, missed that part.

Still, calm down. There has to be a toggle somewhere, otherwise just use crouch I guess?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Calm down, people. It's a madhouse in here. :lol:

deevius, so are you wanting something slower than the normal 'jog'... but not a crouch? Referring to my earlier post...

Of course. Just.... walk... you know, like walking?

At the very start of the game I was walking, now I have to run constantly for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I found these in APInput.ini but meh:

Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="Walking")

Bindings=(Name="Walking",Command="Button bRun")

I remember there was some kind of hack that you could do in Bioshock 2 to force a walking toggle button that was similar to this. Anyone know?

there's no reason to walk? what kind of rubbish is that. Do you constantly run around everywhere you go? It looks stupid, it ruins immersion. I'm not even in a mission, just doing the tutorial part of the game. There's no reason for me NOT to be able to walk. Wtf.

Again, did you read my first post? There is a separate run mode (LShift), which is considerably faster than the default jog/walk. Practically speaking, the normal jog/walk simply looks like he's running so that we don't have to take seventy hours to move everywhere.

It would help if you made your case clearly - so you just want to be able to walk for immersion rather than gameplay purposes?

I guess my impatience has always ignored the "lack of immersion" that comes from not walking everywhere. I can't think of a single game where I walked around everywhere instead of just moving at the max speed I could in an area (unless I had a tactical reason for walking).

Calm down, people. It's a madhouse in here. :lol:

Of course. Just.... walk... you know, like walking?

At the very start of the game I was walking, now I have to run constantly for no apparent reason whatsoever.

We know this, no need to repeat yourself and double post. If someone has an answer, they'll tell you. In the meantime, take a deep breath and go take a break, you sound a lot more pissed off than you should be.

Again, did you read my first post? There is a separate run mode (LShift), which is considerably faster than the default jog/walk. Practically speaking, the normal jog/walk simply looks like he's running so that we don't have to take seventy hours to move everywhere.

It would help if you made your case clearly - so you just want to be able to walk for immersion rather than gameplay purposes?

I want to be able to walk because it looks utterly ridiculous to have the character run everywhere for no reason whatsoever. If I don't even have the simple option to be able to walk if I want to then I suppose I should take this as a good indication of the laziness invested in this game and just give up now.

Edited by deevius

This strikes me as a "This very interesting woman taht is otherwise intriguing has weird looking toes. I'm out!"

If this is a deal breaker for you, then that's that. On the plus side, I'm sure you get a mountain of value for your typical games because the playtime for them must be enormous.

You could walk in Fallout 3 or Oblivion but did anyone do that? Unless they were filming fan videos or doing virtual LARP?

I guess the simplest way of putting it is - there IS both run and walk in alpha protocol. It's just that when he walks, it looks like he's jogging, so that he doesn't move at the speed of a turtle. It's a practical decision because most, most players would prefer not to waddle around slowly in an actiony game. Especially since after the tutorial, you will spend most of your time actually in missions.

Oh, and seeing as Obsidian has always been a PC developer, no, it's not a console port. Give the game a fair go and put a few hours into it - or if you're going to stop after 30 minutes because you can't, uh, walk, who can help you?

Exactly, you could walk in Fallout 3 or Oblivion but did anyone do that?

OF COURSE. :lol: Think about it, does ANYONE actually jog or run EVERYWHERE they go in real life? No. Why should it be different in a game? Did the other NPC characters in Fallout 3 or Oblivion run everywhere constantly?

I guess the simplest way of putting it is - there IS both run and walk in alpha protocol. It's just that when he walks, it looks like he's jogging, so that he doesn't move at the speed of a turtle.

Except jogging isn't walking, it's just a slightly slower paced running. It looks stupid, and the only reason there isn't any option for walking is because the game developers who port the game to PC are too ****ing lazy to implement that simple option (they done the exact same thing with Bioshock 2 and had to later patch it in after complaints)

sick of these stupid ****ty lazy ass console ports.

Edited by deevius

You probably walk while in your safe house or something. Like in Splinter Cell: Double Agent you didn't run at full speed, but walked briskly instead (when at the hideout).

I haven't played the game yet so I don't know.

Nope, you can't walk in the ****ing safehouses either.

HURR DURR I NEED TO RUN IN MY OWN HOUSE FOR NO APPARENT REASON.