Mouse input broken, makes game nearly unplayable (video inside)

Mithaldu

Question

There's already a topic on this, but it does not state clearly how severe the problem is and ventures a wrong guess at the cause of this.

Here's how it manifests ingame:

As long as the mouse is not touched the game is completely smooth. But as soon as the mouse is used it begins to skip and drop frame slike crazy.

Manipulating the ini files had no effect.

Obsidian, your turn.

Edited by Mithaldu

My friend has the exact same problem on the PC :lol: Smooth when not moving mouse (using wasd to run like you were).. but as soon as he turns the camera even the slightest amount with the mouse, everything turns all jerky just like in your video :(

I was going to buy the game, but now I'm going to wait until I see that a patch is released to fix it.

EDIT: I should also note... it's not just a nuisance or cosmetic problem... it is literally impossible to aim like this... it's also not a performance issue since FPS is running solid (especially considering the specs of his computer).. there's something just buggy as hell in the code that makes the screen jerk around the second the mouse input goes in.

Edited by Hathur

I have the same problem, and it is such a pain in the ass to play with this. I did try to tweak the ini, but doesn't work. I do hope Obs release a patch ASAP, because so far, I'm very disappointed about the game. I don't know if its lack of budget or what, but Obs games are NEVER polish. For god sake spend sometime debugging...

I noticed a post on the youtube page:

I solved this by changing;

MinSmoothedFrameRate to 20

MaxSmoothedFrameRate to 30

I tried all the other recommended ini alterations but they didn't help. This however, has stopped all stuttering except for the occasional load hitch.

have you tried this yet?

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

It works. o.O

I undid all changes in the ini files (most important is this one I think: bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE) and then I set these two SmoothedFrameRate values to 20 and 30 - and it works fine.

I think with a controller is still a bit smoother (maybe imagination), but it's fine though.

A huge Thank You to you and the youtube user.

Companion Cube of the Obsidian Order

Need a companion? Or a cube? Join the Order now!

ha, if only i was a forum moderator. Glad that i could help though!

a dev who is not a mod/admin on forum... times must be hard at obsidian?

mods move your asses we have many tech questions here and no tech forum???

Edited by fuZZ

have you tried this yet?

Yes. Doesn't help much. The skipping is a tiny bit less frequent now, but much stronger instead.

Want me to upload a video with those settings?

Kabraxis must be in the tutorial zone still.

Can you tell us anything about whether you're planning to patch this? Or should i take your skipping of that subject to mean that you don't plan to patch it?

Edited by Mithaldu

Most likely, it means that he's not the person who gets to make that call.

That's fine if he isn't. I'm just a good bit annoyed because i paid 50 bucks for an unplayable game and want to know if being patient and waiting for a patch is worth it or whether i should go get a refund right now.

"bSmoothFrameRate" and it's corresponding values MaxSmoothedFrameRate and MinSmoothedFrameRate work as a frame limiter.

The mouse acceleration is less apparent the lower your frame rate is limited, but the problem still persists as the frame rate fluctuates.

So this is not a true solution.

Disabling bEnableMouseSmoothing would solve the problem completely but it's hard coded.

have you tried this yet?

Yes. Doesn't help much. The skipping is a tiny bit less frequent now, but much stronger instead.

Want me to upload a video with those settings?

Kabraxis must be in the tutorial zone still.

Can you tell us anything about whether you're planning to patch this? Or should i take your skipping of that subject to mean that you don't plan to patch it?

Yes.. that's right. I'm in the tutorial zone. :/

Hm. I do have it from Steam, maybe they messed up in changing the DRM for it.

Edit: For anyone thinking about it, the fixed crack doesn't help either, i just tried.

Edited by Mithaldu

Mithaldu, in regards to Steam all I can think of is verify the files or worst-case re-install (Oh God, the bandwidth!).

Alternately, off the top of my head: re-install GPU drivers, defrag or if you really want to go the whole nine yards re-format.

Strange I never had any problems with the mouse. Using the mouse for hacking was a bit wonky, but feasable. Maybe try turning Vsynch off?
How powerful is your machine? I have the suspicion that the problem is less apparent on slow machines. Also, yeah, i went through the whole song and dance with all possible vsync options. :)

Mithaldu, in regards to Steam all I can think of is verify the files or worst-case re-install (Oh God, the bandwidth!).

Alternately, off the top of my head: re-install GPU drivers, defrag or if you really want to go the whole nine yards re-format.

It's not an issue with my machine. I have ~50 games of various ages installed and they all run fine. Additionally the problem is corroborated by MANY pc gamers. This is an issue with the game.

Edited by Mithaldu

In the meanwhile I finished the tutorial zone and my first missions and I still don't have any problems, since changing the SmoothFrameMinimum (to 20) and Maximum(to 30) (while mouse smoothing is active). VSync ist set to TRUE.

The mouse only begins stucking again, when I record a video while playing (so probably if the framerate sinks below 20).

I do also own the Steam version of the game. But... why should DRM only break mouse input, and not controller input? That's not the problem I think.