Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

I mean, I'm no expert but if they do VO for multiple characters, and use the exact same voice (their "default" voice, if you will) for all of them, can we still call them voice actors (i.e. are they really earning their pay)?

Maybe they should speak with a fake Italian or French accent, huh?

Maybe. :lol:

This guy is my personal favorite, and I was mostly thinking about these characters when I said "the exact same voice":

Craig Sechler: Butch DeLoria / Harkness / Billy Creel / Crazy Wolfgang / Sticky / Andy Stahl / Sergeant Bejamin Montgomery (Operation Anchorage) / Male Talon Company merceneries (Dunmer/Bosmer/Altmer in Oblivion)

Possible reasons for why these characters stood out:

1-) Some of them were in the same general area (Billy, Andy - Megaton).

2-) You heard some of them frequently (TC mercs - Randomly Spawned Bad Guys, Crazy Wolfgang - Merchant, Butch - Companion).

3-) They were all humans.

Or androids.

4-) All of the above (talking to Crazy Wolfgang at Megaton with Butch on your side. Bring along Sticky to tell his stupid stories in the background and I should definitely try this sometime... :lol: ).

Wes Johnson: Mr. Burke / Fawkes / Uncle Leo / Scribe Bigsley / Super Mutants / Protectron / Sentry Bot / Tracker Yokels - Point Lookout

See? Humans, mutants, robots... But this one might also actually be a good VA if he really managed to pull off what Slowtrain said. That was priceless. :shifty:

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

As for the pre-order bonuses, meh. On the PC you'll be able to mod these in anyway.

True, but it's a good marketing ploy. I remember people complaining about the absence of collector's edition bonus items on Bethesda's blog and forums, and even on The Vault.

Yeah, but mostly console players. On a PC, with mods, they're pretty pointless.

I'm pretty sure the strange distortion in this pic is because it was taken from within the Geck. The character view screen thingy does this kind of fish-eye mirror thing you see here.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

As for the pre-order bonuses, meh. On the PC you'll be able to mod these in anyway.

True, but it's a good marketing ploy. I remember people complaining about the absence of collector's edition bonus items on Bethesda's blog and forums, and even on The Vault.

Yeah, but mostly console players. On a PC, with mods, they're pretty pointless.

They're pointless, but then again, not everyone mods the game even in the PC crowd.

Actually I'd argue that a fair portion of the PC crowd doesn't even know how to mod the game.

I guess so. Also meh because even though it's supposed to be from Vault 13, it uses the FO3 Vault Suit and the FO3 10mm pistol. If they actually made the classic ones, that would be pretty nifty.

It would feel a bit strange to have completely different models of vault suits though, especially since apparently Nevada's suits are the same as the east coast's one.

Well, it's supposed to be a classic pack...

True, but it's also supposed to be for Xbox360.. not to mention that this kind of pre-order packs are hastily done, so with the time that Obsidian seems to have for the game, I don't think they really did want to devote their artists attention to a pre-order item.

I'll just point out that there's a quest in Oblivion where Wes Johnson plays all three npcs involved in the quest. There's a point near the end, where al three npcs will be talking with you and to each other at the same time. So basically, that's Wes Johnson having a three way convo with himself. He pulls off making all three voices slightly different quite well.

Which quest?

Don't know the "official name" but its the Save the Farm From Goblins quest that takes place outside of Chorrol.

Wes Johnson VAs the father and both the brothers. He does a good job giving them slightly different voices that suit each character.

Wes Johnson: Mr. Burke / Fawkes / Uncle Leo / Scribe Bigsley / Super Mutants / Protectron / Sentry Bot / Tracker Yokels - Point Lookout

See? Humans, mutants, robots... But this one might also actually be a good VA if he really managed to pull off what Slowtrain said. That was priceless. :lol:

I'm not saying he's the greatest VA ever. But he's solid enough for a video game.

To me its more of a Bethesda issue anyway. If they want one voice actor to do a huge number of parts, that's their call.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm pretty sure the strange distortion in this pic is because it was taken from within the Geck. The character view screen thingy does this kind of fish-eye mirror thing you see here.

Yeah, the form compression comes off kinda wonky. A lot of weird foreshortening happening there.

Also, wtf with those eyebrows? Devil-man?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I hope those Robot thingies in FO:NV will be voiced by the person that did the Mr Gutsy's. Those things were hilarious.

I came across Sergeant RL-3 all the way near Republic of Dave once. No idea how the bugger even managed to get there.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I hope those Robot thingies in FO:NV will be voiced by the person that did the Mr Gutsy's. Those things were hilarious.

I came across Sergeant RL-3 all the way near Republic of Dave once. No idea how the bugger even managed to get there.

ALso did a bunch of other cool VA roles.

ALso did a bunch of other cool VA roles.

Mr. Gutsy robots? Harold? Garrett? Win. He had a monotone but also deep & cool voice in Thief games.

My point still stands about voice actors' job being easier while working on different "types" of characters. This guy also made the human/mutant/robot thing.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Mr. Gutsy robots? Harold? Garrett? Win. He had a monotone but also deep & cool voice in Thief games.

My point still stands about voice actors' job being easier while working on different "types" of characters. This guy also made the human/mutant/robot thing.

Win indeed.

Bethesda should've hired more renowned game voice actors instead of Hollywood celebrities (save of course, Ron Perlman). Maybe even use some BioWare voice actors like Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer or Raphael Sbarge, just for lulz.

It would have allowed them at least to use more money to buy better monkeys for their typewriters. :)

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That reminds me. Was anyone up for me and my mate making a bunch of Nuka Cola Quantum lamps?

That'd be pretty ****ing cool :lol:

I worked out we'd probably need about twenty orders at 30 quid + postage. But he's an ex film props guy who worked on Harry Potter etc etc.

EDIT: If we could get 5 here then I guess we could assume another 15 would be forthcoming. But I'm not sure how Bethesda would feel. I don't want to piss them off even though it's a tiny sum in company terms.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OK I've had two so far.

I guess that could be indicative of a bigger interest. I'll see if we could do a run on spec.

EDIT: Ok he's not willing to do it without salving the IP question. So guess I'll need to get in touch with Bethesda. Do they own ALL the copyright?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Podcast interview: Larry Liberty, senior producer on F:NV (via GameBanshee)

Front Towards Gamer Radio, Episode 7: Larry Liberty, Senior Developer for Fallout: New Vegas!

Shanghai Six interviews senior developer Larry Liberty from Obsidian Entertainment, the folks bringing us Fallout: New Vegas. We discuss how funny schizophrenic super mutant radio DJs are, whether or not Wayne Newton will be the voice of

Edited by funcroc

I'm just happy that Sega has NOTHING to do with this whatsoever.

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Happy, happy, happy.

That was apparently a match made in Hell. Or something.