Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Graphics Card R.I.P.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hey Gorth, what kind of PSU are you using? I'm wondering if my current 750w PSU might be a little weak for the card+all the other PC stuff it has to supply...eg if it's possibly part of my current pc troubles. I'm sort of doubting it, since the pc problems occur even when the GPU is idling (eg, not doing anything but browsing folders on the desktop), but never know...

(edit) Even on gaming load, most places say the 590 is using about 500W...so just for GPU alone I think my PSU is fine...but since PC's are not made of GPU alone, maybe I need an 850w or something)

Edited by LadyCrimson, 30 November 2011 - 05:02 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

Hey Gorth, what kind of PSU are you using? I'm wondering if my current 750w PSU might be a little weak for the card+all the other PC stuff it has to supply...eg if it's possibly part of my current pc troubles. I'm sort of doubting it, since the pc problems occur even when the GPU is idling (eg, not doing anything but browsing folders on the desktop), but never know...

(edit) Even on gaming load, most places say the 590 is using about 500W...so just for GPU alone I think my PSU is fine...but since PC's are not made of GPU alone, maybe I need an 850w or something)

I'm using an Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W. Helps keep the place warm during Winter 8)

Best question to ask might be, do you have any stability issues or are you planning on adding a handful of extra HDD's? 750W should be plenty for most needs. I got the overkill version because a) I didn't know better and b) the price difference was insignificant when I had to buy all new components anyway (and I planned on adding 6 HDD's and a few extra gadgets).

Apart from a seasonal lack of time, it has been a smooth ride so far and quite a relief getting the new 590, as the past constant 'display driver has stopped working...' were really driving me up the wall :p

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have stability issues with the O/S HDD. 8-9 days ago the C: drive decided to made grindy noises and freeze (not BSOD), which started a long chain of HDD stability troubleshooting. The noise is not the mechanical failure click-click sort, just a loud grindy noise like it's stuck. Tests show the old drive had bad sectors that for some reason neither Windows/Linux recognize, so they kept writing into those bad sectors & then would get stuck trying to access from there. If I waited long enough it would usually recover from being 'stuck' and you could keep going, but occasionally it would crash/auto-boot.

So replaced the C drive with a new bought drive (different brand), and about 2 days after installing Windows+GPU/sound drivers & Firefox (and nothing else), that one did exactly the same thing. Same noise, same symptoms. Reformatted & reinstalled Windows, 10 minutes later, same symptoms. Tested the new HDD and it had some minor errors that the diagnostic repaired...waiting for hubby to run his more extensive tests on it as well. Going to try to exchange/buy another HDD & new cables, but if that one does the same thing, I have to assume something is wrong with the rig itself, causing HDD sector failures. Hence...maybe I need more/new PSU. :D (edit: going to run meter test on the PSU later)

But happens when just sitting at idle and there's been no flickering or other weird stuff that sometimes occur if power is unstable. Temps for all things are below 35C. System RAM is not an issue (tested). Pretty sure house circuits are not an issue, altho it is remotely possible.

Besides GPU, I have a soundcard, 2 internal drives (C: + storage drive), the DVD drive, mobo/CPU+lotsa RAM, 6 case fans...that's it. Fairly sure the 2nd HDD has no issue, altho it's a bit hard to tell when they're both plugged in at once (it's currently not connected). For 3-4 weeks after I bought the 590, everything was fine/solid like usual. Then kaboom. hehe

Edited by LadyCrimson, 30 November 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts
Best thing would be if you could borrow a PSU and try out for a few days. Unfortunately I gave my old Antect TruePower Quatrro 1000W to my dad when I gave him my previous components (pre-I7 architecture).

About the HDD's though, I would say it can be darn hard to get anything reliable these days. When I built my curret PC, no less than 3 drives failed withing 2 months. First two Samsung drives, which I got replaced (a different brand). One of the replacement drives then failed and I thought I was cursed. According to the vendor it was unfortunately not unheard of. The symptoms were strange "struggling" noises and a creeping increase in bad sectors.

Are your drives new?

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The original C: drive (Seagate) was purchased when I built the PC, so maybe a two to 2.5 years old? The storage drive (Hitachi) is less than a year old. And of course the one I just bought (Western Digital).

I knew some of the HDD companies aren't as good as they used to be, quality-control wise, and of course that quality in general is becoming more & more disposable on all electronics....so I haven't had big expectations of them typically lasting 5-6+ years like most older ones I've had (I was thinking 3 years maybe) but it's startling to think they could be that consistently bad out of the box, so to speak. Definitely going to be running those HDD tests before I install them, next time. And stock up on yet more external drives for backups. Assuming I ever get this rig running properly again, that is. :p

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

Assuming I ever get this rig running properly again, that is. :lol:

That was my thought too when reinstalling the 3rd time in 2 months :sweat:

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You give me hope that it's a simple problem, Gorth. :sweat:

Hubs did that test of his on the new WD drive. It almost immediately started making bad noise and after a partial pass of the test, it went "offline" on it's own. Hubs stared at it & the stats he managed to get, said "It's bad. Your bad-sector old HD even did better than this one. Take that crap back." I lol'd.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts
Gfx cards just hates me :unsure:

Not even 15 months old and it now has decided to put up a psychedelic display of flashing vertical lines in interesting patterns =]

I wonder what deity I have offended?

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2743 posts
Obviously it is your destiny to remain forevermore with integrated graphics. :sorcerer:

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

Obviously it is your destiny to remain forevermore with integrated graphics. :sorcerer:

It seems to be an intermittent thing. It doesn't crash my PC, but it sure as heck is a pain to look at. I had planned on a new PC at the end of 2013, I would hate to have start spending already (I wouldn't have the funds before mid-February anyway) >_<

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2743 posts
The laptop I'm typing this on hasn't been able to render any 3D graphics without breaking into random grey artifacts for about two year now, but no problems whatsoever in 2D. Last card I had fail put green pixels all over the place in 2D even fresh after a cold boot. In the former case it's almost assuredly the GPU core, but the latter I think is likely symptomatic of failing graphics memory.

I recall that you water-cool your system, so perhaps it's possible the failures are due to inadequate VRAM cooling (assuming your waterblock covers the GPU only)? Individual RAMsinks without direct airflow over them?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

I recall that you water-cool your system, so perhaps it's possible the failures are due to inadequate VRAM cooling (assuming your waterblock covers the GPU only)? Individual RAMsinks without direct airflow over them?

Yeah, water cooled alright :)

Got an EVGA GXT590 Classified Hydro Copper with factory fitted water block, covering the entire card (both gpu's, all vram, voltage controllers and just about everything else). I was too lazy to keep fitting water blocks on my cards when they rarely lasted 6 months.

Crossing fingers and hoping it will keep running for at least a few more months.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3579 posts

How quiet is your system. On paper fans are supposed to offer a good noise ratio, but over time **** gets into all the nooks and crannies and they start making an infernal racket. Some of that dust also gathers inside your graphics cooling unit where you can't get to it easily and requiring faster spinning under full load to compensate for reduced efficiency.

There are still fans in a water cooled system, notably one fast spinning one near the CPU connection, but is that something that can easily be replaced, say once every year.

No, 'g.ook' is not a racial slur. I should be offended the filter thought me so crass.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

Lets just say, it's not as quiet as it used to be. My former Zalman radiator/pump used passive cooling and had no fans. May it rest in piece. My current system has the sort of mandatory PSU fan on the back of the PC and then 3 fans on the radiator (of which I sometimes disconnect 1 or 2, depending on need, I can also regulate their speed, but I already run them at low speed). So it's not "noiseless", but compared to the vacuum cleaner sound of a fan cooled high end gfx card under load, it's doing pretty darn good in comparison (unlike fan cooled systems, the noise is constant, even when put under heavy load).

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

This is getting frustrating... the flickering is now constant and a pain in my rear anatomy. I still don't know if it's the motherboard, the gfx card, the monitor or the power supply that is not up to the challenge.

I think I'll bring home a laptop to hook up to the monitor, just to rule that one out. It seems resolution independent, so even the humble laptop should be able to provide a test screen. I'm seriously tempted to buy a "disposable" gfx card after that, to see if it's the culprit and carry me over until the regularly scheduled system upgrade. If it's not the gfx card, then it will still be usable on my old (current) system as a "No. 2" pc. Some day, a card manufacturer is going to come up with a card that lasts for a full 2 year and the world will end.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2743 posts

This is where still having all my old graphics cards all the way back to my S3 Virge DX 3D "decelerator" (Diamond Stealth 2000) from 1997 may have some theoretical utility. :D

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3860 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My 5870 is still pulling its weight and its going on 3 years now.

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 718 posts

Hope it's not the psu, because that's a Pandoras box of problems, been there.. In case it's the PSU I hope the model you have got some fail-safe protection vs. over/under-voltage.

My old ATi HD 4850 still works, even though I replaced it, but it was having a problem with one of the DVI outs for quite some time, which were showing up as a very annoying flickering.. Like some kind of Winter Olympics game in the background. Have you tried switching the gfx output?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9817 posts

Hope it's not the psu, because that's a Pandoras box of problems, been there.. In case it's the PSU I hope the model you have got some fail-safe protection vs. over/under-voltage.

My old ATi HD 4850 still works, even though I replaced it, but it was having a problem with one of the DVI outs for quite some time, which were showing up as a very annoying flickering.. Like some kind of Winter Olympics game in the background. Have you tried switching the gfx output?

I've finally placed an order for a new case, so I figured when it arrived, I would try a few things, amongst them switching the "rails" on the PSU (tried the monitor output on the gfx card to no avail), just to see if it's the cause. Doesn't help I'm going to be out of state all next week, so it wont be before the week after that again :(

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Seems weird that you have such trouble with GPU's. :( Not that I'm an expert in such things. Maybe they're just allergic to your rig. :lol:

When I buy a new GPU I toss the old ones towards hubby, if he wants it, since he doesn't care at all about graphic bells and whistles. So typically they're still going/seeing use 3-4 years later. There's only been one card I bought in all these years that failed within a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users