Oh Look There

Pop

O RLY? I bet Dracula, Frankenstein, and quite a few others would argue with that assessment.

They would, and lose.

Did it? Didn't the original The Thing come first? How about a certain famous zombie movie that was set basically at one farmhouse? That's just a couple of examples.

I never saw a farmhouse with hexagonal corridors and pressurized doors but okay.

I didn't say it invented claustrophobia, I said it invented that particular sci fi setting, obviously in terms of visuals.

That said, none of those movies, even Carpenters remake of the The Thing are half as good as Alien in direction and cinematography.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

"And you forget the Alien itself which is the most iconic movie monster of all time."

O RLY? I bet Dracula, Frankenstein, and quite a few others would argue with that assessment.

Dracula and Frankenstein were literature monsters first and foremost, no? Dracula has lost most of his iconic since vampires have been used and reused for all kinds of settings, their look and feel changed so many times. Todays, the only features everyone associates with vampires are the pointed teeth.

I'm not a fan of the aliens, but its undeniably true that the design of the Alien was the work of a (deranged?) genius. I don't know any of the symbolism behind it, and I don't really care, but the design just strikes as unforgettable. Even the imitations (Tyranids and other Zergs) haven't done so good since!

No it doesnt. The novel its based on does, but you have to remember the hive mind thing wasnt a part of the original Alien, it was introduced in the sequel and watered down much of the creatures uniqueness.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

"They would, and lose."

LOL But, no. And, let's not forget Godzilla, King Kong, and Jaws (thoguh not really a monster in the grandest sense since it's based on a real animal).

"Dracula and Frankenstein were literature monsters first and foremost, no?"

Doesn't matter. They are still iconic monsters with tons of movies based on them and highly easily recognizable. I bet anyone whom has seen a movie is above the age of 10 has seen at least one movie with Dracula. The number of people who have seen an Alien movie or even heard of it is probably miniscue comapred to Dracula or Frankenstein.

Iconic doesn't mean 'I llike x more than y'; it's about influence, recognization factor, and everything based on them.

" Dracula has lost most of his iconic since vampires have been used and reused for all kinds of settings, their look and feel changed so many times. Todays, the only features everyone associates with vampires are the pointed teeth."

He hasn't lost any bit of his iconic status. In fact, all the new age vampire stuffm just heightens it. How many monsters are based off aliens? very few. To claim that Aliens are at the level at the aformentioned monsters is ludicrous.

b

"ut its undeniably true that the design of the Alien was the work of a (deranged?) genius. I don't know any of the symbolism behind it, and I don't really care, but the design just strikes as unforgettable."

I'm not arguing otherwise. The alien is a fantastically designed monster, imo. No doubt about it. But, it's not iconic at the level of Dracula, King Kong, and the like. Heck, the T Rex as made famous in Jurassic Park is probably more iconic.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No it doesnt. The novel its based on does, but you have to remember the hive mind thing wasnt a part of the original Alien, it was introduced in the sequel and watered down much of the creatures uniqueness.
Not being a hive mind is more unique than being one? :lol:

Not being a hive mind is more unique than being one? :p

:lol:

I was alluding to the scare factor of the thing. :)

logosig2.jpg

NDA, dude. Don't get butthurt if nobody responds.

Out of curiosity which creature model was going to be used? (from which film)
There were differences?

Original design was Giger's, and it changed every iteration of the franchise, becoming more buglike in Aliens (both drone and queen were Cameron's design) and so on.

Edited by Pop

Sorry, does that stand for non-disclosure agreement?

As for the rest, each installment had a different look for the creature. The heads are different as is the number of fingers on each hand, the tail, the tubes on its back and other details.

logosig2.jpg

Perhaps I'm being captain obvious here but the first one is from Alien 3, included in the AvP games as the "runner".

The second and third are derivatives of Cameron's version.

You don't have the original (and perhaps best) on offer. It has a flat dome without the ridges, and its slightly translucent, and if looked from the front you can make out eye sockets behind the material (because the front part of the head is a human skull).

Alien-bust-giger-1-01.jpg

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Well they do inherit the hosts DNA, but anyway - Gigers work is a piece of art portraying nothing in particular (it was just a painting he did) and by itself I think its the best. However they ditched the transparency later because its not really suited for the film (as you noticed) and because its scarier if you dont know where its looking.

logosig2.jpg

• 9 months later...

I'm both an Aliens fanboy and an Obsidian fanboy. Thanks for opening old wounds, you jerk.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

looks nice. they should've made AP a horror/survival game instead of spy/stealth

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

they would if there was already an Aliens game published by them, which Obsidian could take and reshape. what I want to know, if NV's success can lead to resurrecting the Aliens RPG by Obsidz

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.