Oh Look There

Pop

I seriously do not see the point in making an Aliens RPG. Wasn't Aliens some terrible sci-fi action movie that tried too hard to be horror?

holy **** you could not be more wrong. dude, seriously, what planet are you living on?

Aliens is one of the best action films of all time, i personally rank it third behind 7 samurai, and yojimbo. I'm dead serious. It's one of the most critically acclaimed action movies ever made. Side note: Sigourney Weaver was nominated for best actress for her portrayal of Lt. Ellen Ripley.

You might not like it if you hate excellent movies or if you like anything by michael bay (except The Rock - that was pretty good)

also, aliens has been ripped off more than any other science fiction or action film barring maybe yojimbo. Don't believe me? watch the movie.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

... so I'm guessing it only started getting awful around Aliens vs Predator?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

... so I'm guessing it only started getting awful around Aliens vs Predator?

AvP the movie was something Uwe Boll could have made...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

AvP was a movie whose primary purpose was to move merchandise tie-in products.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The point was Lance Henriksen.

And I swear I didn't buy the lunchbox. Really. Someone gave it to me.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This was one of the games that gave me a reason for living. *sigh*

*dies*

So with you.

*promptly kicks the bucket*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

John Wagner's Aliens: Berserker? If it's the one I think it is, then ya, it was good, though you had to read a novel to get the whole story.

There were a lot of good Alien comics btw.

Berserker was awesome. :teehee: The Dark Horse comics were usually really good, but they did have some lame stuff from time to time, like a predator visiting earth in the 50s and getting outsmarted by a kid with 3d glasses, or Ripley's ancestors battling an alien that crash landed on earth long before the movies.

Batman vs. Predator was surprsingly really good, not so much Superman vs. Aliens. :ermm:

Personally I hate the comic like tie ins between the universes. Alien is a good universe. Predator (besides Predator himself being a very good character with potential) universe is a bit on the average side. Mixing them (and adding every other marvel or dc character to them or "them" to the marvel or dc stories) was just another dumb "lets sell more crap" move.

The original Alien movie was very enjoyable. As it was said above it was a genre defining film. Aliens (the second film) was even better as it managed to line up really nasty barbs to the unchecked capitalism, American whoopers (edit: slang term the outright lies fed to the masses regardless of nationality or country.) , "mega" "multiplanet" corporations in a logical fashion and use those barbs to create a bed of thorns for the story. 3rd film was a bit too forced (not that the story was implausible or anything); the story and acting and etc was good but it started to feel that they were just going on and on and on... I hate the "resurrection" btw.

I would like to add my own voice to the people who were saddened by the opportunity to play something a bit more deeper in the "Alien" universe.

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

• 5 weeks later...

Out of curiosity which creature model was going to be used? (from which film)

(question for the devs)

My 2 cents:

I always found the original one to have the best head and the one from the third film the best overall design.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

"Maybe we are thinking of "generic setting" differently, but to me it seems there's nothing generic about the setting(s) of the first 2 movies."

Sorry, but it was a very generic setting/movie. What was so original about it? Alien/space movies like it were being made before it. That doesn't mean it sucked. Alien was a fantastic movie; but as fsr as 'originality' goes it wasn't THAT original. Most original partn of the movie was it had a kick ass female protaganist.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Alien invented the bulkhead/corridor as horror setting, based on the works of top artists such as Chriss Foss, Moebius, Syd Mead, Giger (for the alien designs) with Scott adding much of his own work. Alien invented what is now the "generic sci fi base/complex", and the first movie is especially an example of superb visual artistry.

The plot and concept were generic, but nothing about the execution itself was.

And you forget the Alien itself which is the most iconic movie monster of all time. how much more originality do you need?

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

"And you forget the Alien itself which is the most iconic movie monster of all time."

O RLY? I bet Dracula, Frankenstein, and quite a few others would argue with that assessment.

"Alien invented the bulkhead/corridor as horror setting"

Did it? Didn't the original The Thing come first? How about a certain famous zombie movie that was set basically at one farmhouse? That's just a couple of examples.

"Alien invented what is now the "generic sci fi base/complex"

Right.. It 'invented' soemthing that was around before it... Hmm...

"The plot and concept were generic, but nothing about the execution itself was."

This could be argued.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.