The New Classics

entrerix

What I don't understand is why the consoles don't all offer mouse support. Technically it wouldn't pose any problems. I guess it's somehow contrary to their design philosophy, and the ease of use factor. They don't want the most precise input device available currently, and that's why I can't take them seriously.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

One can also have fun driving a car that's lacking a wheel but that's sadly not the idea behind it.

So the fun they're having is not "true" fun, only the kind you have is the right kind.

It's like I messed up the URL and accidentally dropped into the Quakeworld forums. What the hell is wrong with you?

@Gorgon: The PS3 has full mouse/keyboard support, but I think very few games support it. It's up to the developers on the PS3. Microsoft has a strict no-mouse/keyboard policy in their games for whatever reason.

Edited by Purkake

Fun is completely subjective, someone might be entertained by twiddling his thumbs and watching the clouds go by.

For me, watching people play FPS games on a console is like seeing a cripple, its just sad. I can't get any fun out of it since my long cultivated skill (such as it is) in FPS games, is rendered meaningless with a poor control interface.

If someone can, yay for them.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Peggle is basically Pachinko from The Price is Right where you drop a ball down pegs and see where it lands. It looks like this:

pegglepyr.jpg

EDIT: I don't feel bad because you're missing out, I feel bad for you because you are unable to see how someone else could enjoy something that you don't.

Edited by Purkake

You missed the point completely. I said it was not the way the FPS were meant to be played and subsequently I cant get fun out of it. So for me the entire experience is stupid, or rather severely lacking.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I don't care whether you like the games or not.

I do care if you can actually fathom someone playing a game you don't enjoy having just as much fun as you playing a game you do enjoy. It kind of determines whether you are an actual human being or a soulless automaton sent from the future to sing praises to the PC.

Edited by Purkake

You already had the answer 4 posts back - fun is subjective.

For the record I have a PS2 as well, so I hardly fall into the glorious PC gaming master race crowd. Which is also rather obvious since Final Fantasy X is in my sig.

logosig2.jpg

If fun is subjective then I obviously can see someone having fun with an activity that I don't find fun. I could hardly say its subjective and then deny another subject the ability to have fun. What's wrong with you?

logosig2.jpg

This thread has gone to a weird place. Moving a mouse and aiming a gun actually has no correlation, so the steering wheel comparison doesn't work in the slightest.

Most console games are also designed around the fact that the controller is not as accurate as a mouse, and they make adjustments for that. Personally I don't want to use a mouse while I'm sitting on my couch, and I doubt there are man people who do.

They are different experiences, really. No need to get in a pissing contest about it.

^ I had a mouse for my PS1 many years ago, used to play C&C Red Alert and X-Com using it.

I was strange at first, I ended up with a hardback book on my lap as an ersatz mouse-mat, but it wasn't too bad.

Playing those games with a PS controller was lame.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's pretty obvious : in order to get the greatest challenge and pleasure out of an FPS you need the better input device. If you are just a casual gamer and don't care about the competitive (I hesitate to use the term) 'sports' element, then obviously it doesn't matter, but if you have had the experience of playing FPS on LAN or tournaments the controller seems like a pathetic thing indeed, there is no denying it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's pretty obvious : in order to get the greatest challenge and pleasure out of an FPS you need the better input device.

As a PC gamer through and through, and someone that hasn't played a console shooter since GoldenEye, I think this perspective is flat out stupid.

It's flat out elitism and there's no other way to describe it. Given you started out with the absolutely absurd statement of how "Console shooter" is somehow a contradiction makes it pretty obvious that your statement was just to start ****.

You can argue all you want that the PC is a better platform for FPS games. I will fully agree with you in that assertion. But to start talking **** about console shooters specifically because they are on consoles, and rationalizing some sort of "greatest challenge and pleasure" nonsense reason is just more bull****.

You won't find me calling a console FPS "pathetic" in any way because it's primary control scheme is a controller. It's irrelevant. Those of us that have experience and preference of using mouselook might not like the control scheme, but there's no denying that the control scheme for current console shooters works for a great many people. If it didn't, the games wouldn't sell so well. Given sheer sample size, I'd be surprised if there weren't many people that experienced greater "challenge and pleasure" out of Halo 3 than you or I have had with any of our FPS games. Particularly because such metrics as "challenge" and "pleasure" are subjective.

As for your original "contradiction." Console shooter = FPS on a console. Lets look at an FPS on a console:

Is it an FPS? Check.

Is it on a console? Check.

I'm failing to see the contradiction. It's because there isn't one.

Edited by alanschu