Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The New Classics

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

RPGmasterBoo

RPGmasterBoo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2106 posts
Well I don't know to be honest. The gameplay is so far removed from what I consider quality gaming, that I have trouble giving the genre along with casual games, browser games and such any credit.
The MMO's are like a text written in a foreign language to me (tried Guild Wars, quit after 3 days), so I'll just shut up about it.

RPGmasterBoo

RPGmasterBoo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2106 posts

the hype machine

The nice thing is that every game's hype machine (or lack thereof) runs out after a few years. Once nobody cares any more, once there's no more money to be made, no more axes to grind, no more mags to sell, games can be seen more clearly for what they really brought to the table ( or didn't bring).

True but some are incredibly stubborn and enduring (like Halo) and some run out in a flash, like for example Doom 3.

As for Halo, I played it after it was ported to the PC and I couldnt understand what the fuss was about, being weaned on Half Life, Unreal Tournament etc etc it seemed incredibly lame and yawn inducing. I still dont understand its appeal.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo, 01 September 2009 - 01:06 PM.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts

SO I guess WoW is all we have so far.

With some possibility for Bioshock and Halo.

I'm surpirsed there isn't more Mass Effect love.

There's plenty of ME love in the mainstream. This is not really the place to make such a list, with all the crotchety old-skool people.

As long as you can see the impact of a game like WoW, it's ok. You don't have to like it, but to deny it's impact is stupid.

@Boo: Halo is not going anywhere hype or no. It's pretty much THE console FPS and it's not some horrible abomination. It's a fun game with high production values and a good multplayer(minus the screechy kids on Live). It's just not a PC game.

Edited by Purkake, 01 September 2009 - 01:09 PM.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
fair enough then :) (<--to wrath of dagon)

how about if a suggestion a person is making is more "cult" then it be nominated as "cult classic"

while baldurs gate is probably a normal classic, something more obscure from the time period that was also really good could be a cult classic.

neverhood compared to myst for example? (i dont know adventure games so that could be way off)

I loved chronicles of riddick, but don't think it will be viewed as a true classic in ten years. great game though

Edited by entrerix, 01 September 2009 - 01:08 PM.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
Basically the formula is: popular game today -> classic in the future. It's as simple as that.

RPGmasterBoo

RPGmasterBoo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2106 posts

@Boo: Halo is not going anywhere hype or no. It's pretty much THE console FPS and it's not some horrible abomination. It's a fun game with high production values and a good multplayer(minus the screechy kids on Live). It's just not a PC game.

Something wrong right there. :)

But I understand what you're trying to say.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15734 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was thinking Batman as well, but I think it needs more time. Classics tend to be games that I desire to replay a few years down the road. It's hard to judge just what that may be right now.

Of course. It's just that this thread is about making predictions about it. Though I agree it is VERY early. I'm sure many were declaring Oblivion a classic this soon after release.

I just think that, so far, Batman is a game that could stand that test of time. I know I plan on replaying it!

cronicler

cronicler

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 467 posts
Not really purk. Oblivion was a very popular game. Can you call it a classic?

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Otoh, some classic games like System SHock never had mass appeal. Yet, over the years, they continued to endure and gained the respect and admiration of many.

I don't think mass appeal is neccessary or even required for a game to be a classic. Nor does a game with mass appeal have less chance to be a classic.

That's why it takes a while to really evaluate the lasting impact of a game. ALl the dust needs to settle out.

I totally agree with these statements! A low profile game that really has the stuff that counts could later be considered a classic, so maybe riddick might make a better suggestion than I previously thought...

the whole "knock out the lights" thing was done well here, and the combination of mild rpg elements and miniquests mixed into the fps gameplay really was very outstanding in that game.

maybe years from now it will be remembered a bit like system shock? I think it is possible.

and though Ive neither played, nor seen anyone else play, wow, I can imagine it being considered a classic for having essentially built an entire legion of new game players

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Basically the formula is: popular game today -> classic in the future. It's as simple as that.

no way! seriously you're not thinking that logic through! in ten years will the gaming community be praising nintendogs as a true classic worthy of being put alongside metroid zelda system shock or baldurs gate?

what about wii play? its not even really a game, but its popular as all hell. or even better madden 2008 - millions of copies sold, yet Im pretty sure in ten years you wont see this bad boy in any top 100 games of all time lists...

popular DOES NOT EQUAL FUTURE CLASSIC.

though to be a future classic it REALLY helps to have been popular on release. but slowtrains example of system shock 1 shows that its not required.

Edited by entrerix, 01 September 2009 - 01:20 PM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6834 posts
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis/Drakensang could become quite the cult classics. The excellent games nobody at the other side of the pond played because it got unnoticed in the smoke curtains put up by BioWare & Bethesda.

cronicler

cronicler

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 467 posts
Virumor: Have those games been released as English language releases yet?

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts

Not really purk. Oblivion was a very popular game. Can you call it a classic?

In the hearts and minds of the current mainstream, yes. It is pretty much the only reason Fallout 3 sold ~9 million+ copies. There's still a bunch of people who play Oblivion and probably enjoy it a lot.

no way! seriously you're not thinking that logic through! in ten years will the gaming community be praising nintendogs as a true classic worthy of being put alongside metroid zelda system shock or baldurs gate?

what about wii play? its not even really a game, but its popular as all hell. or even better madden 2008 - millions of copies sold, yet Im pretty sure in ten years you wont see this bad boy in any top 100 games of all time lists...

popular DOES NOT EQUAL FUTURE CLASSIC.

though to be a future classic it REALLY helps to have been popular on release. but slowtrains example of system shock 1 shows that its not required.

Sorry, let's make an exception for all things Nintendo(damn casuals messing up my formula). A popular game on the PS360 -> classic in the future.

It's just a general guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Games like Shadow of the Colossus will also be considered classics because of their artsy-ness and doing different things, even if they're not popular.

Edited by Purkake, 01 September 2009 - 01:30 PM.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
is every popular game from 10 years ago now a classic?

no.

so stop with the crazy logic that makes ZERO sense!

(im not mad, just trying to be persuasive :)

Edited by entrerix, 01 September 2009 - 01:32 PM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6834 posts

Virumor: Have those games been released as English language releases yet?

Drakensang: yes + prequel in the making (yey!)

Divinity 2: no, but the game was developed in English... only reason there hasn't yet been an international release is that developers are currently (apparently) having trouble negotiating with 'assertive' publishers. New patch is coming soon with a ton of improvements which should make the game even more kick-ass.

Edited by virumor, 01 September 2009 - 01:34 PM.

cronicler

cronicler

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 467 posts
Sigh. Please check your statement. Do you really believe Gears of War X will be remembered after Gear's of War X+1 is released? There are a bunch of games that are "flagships" of this generation of consoles. Do you really believe MGS4 was "better" experience than its predecesors or the manly man greyish browns are the classics?

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15734 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm not buying the popular game = classics formula.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts

is every popular game from 10 years ago now a classic?

no.

so stop with the crazy logic that makes ZERO sense!

(im not mad, just trying to be persuasive :)

No not every popular game, but there's a good chance that if a game is popular it will also be considered a classic. There are of course exceptions, which is why I said that it's not a hard and fast rule.

Let's look at the best selling 360 games from wikipedia:

# Halo 3 (8.1 million)
# Gears of War (5 million, may include PC version)
# Gears of War 2 (5 million)
# Grand Theft Auto IV (4.324 million approximately: 3.29 million in US, at least 1 million in UK, 34,000 in Japan)
# Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (4.172 million approximately: 3.04 million in US, 78,000 in Canada, 54,742 in Japan, at least 1 million in UK)
# Call of Duty: World at War (3.35 million approximately: 2.75 million in US, 600,000 in UK)

Are you telling me that Halo 3, Gears of War, GTA IV and CoD4 won't be seen as classics in however many years?

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
since everyone except purkake agrees that popular does not equal future classic, we may now continue with the serious suggestions!

:)

I liked for possible candidates:

Bioshock
maybe riddick
maybe company of heroes
probably wow
maybe world of goo
probably resident evil 4 (but not 5)
shadow of colossus

i DO NOT THINK:
halo 3 (i DO think halo 1 is a classic, but that game is almost ten years old! its not NEW)
gears of war 2 (maybe part 1 though)
CoD world at war (maybe CoD: MW though)

Edited by entrerix, 01 September 2009 - 01:44 PM.

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
I'm just trying to show the correlation. Again, I'm not saying that every popular game will be a classic, I'm saying that a popular game has a higher chance of being a classic in the future.

The games will be seen as franchises. Gears of War 1 or 2 won't be the classic, just Gears of War the franchise of cover-based third person shooters will be the classic, spawning a mass of other third person cover-based shooters. The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare franchise will be seen as another console multiplayer FPS done well in addition to Halo.

Super Mario Bros 1 is the most popular NES game with over 40 million units sold, it's also one of the classics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users