Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

Jaesun

is not a common or traditional d&d foe, but is gonna have now have been major players in most of obsidian's/bis' offerings. is sorta strange. again, ain't simply IN game, but is integral.
Well actually, they are. At least in my campaign (Ghostwalk setting)... :ermm: They make good enemies, being strong and intelligent, having natural access to psionics (depending on the rules you use) etc.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

is not a common or traditional d&d foe, but is gonna have now have been major players in most of obsidian's/bis' offerings. is sorta strange. again, ain't simply IN game, but is integral.
Well actually, they are. At least in my campaign (Ghostwalk setting)... :ermm: They make good enemies, being strong and intelligent, having natural access to psionics (depending on the rules you use) etc.

would like to point out that the ghostwalk campaign produced one product. had some nice notions, (and some bad) and yuan-ti and orcus cults were key antagonists, but you & ghostwalk is proving our point... is not common.

"No such thing. I want to make Yuan-Ti: The Game."

am not doubting that. am maybe slightly disturbed by it, but am not doubting.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

would like to point out that the ghostwalk campaign produced one product. had some nice notions, (and some bad) and yuan-ti and orcus cults were key antagonists, but you & ghostwalk is proving our point... is not common.
Alright, that's true, there's only the setting - but there's no need for more, because it serves as major inspiration for unexpected twists in the storyline (as does Heroes of Horror) and not as 1:1 base :) Still, the Y-T were one of the few races updated in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (which produced no further offspring either, unfortunate exception is that abomination called Complete Psionics), and they meant something to all the players in my group. Otoh, the may all have played BIS/Obs games... You see, I don't really have a point to defend here ;)

In my opinion, they are not overdone in the sense that they are not a usual sight in fantasy games, whereas elves, dwarves (however much attention they deserve), orcs, goblins, undead are much more frequent and, honestly, kind of boring in their "pure" fashion. Unless some twists are added to these races, they are the overdone friends and foes of fantasy games. I for one welcome their role (whatever it exactly will be) in SoZ.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Yuan-Tis suck. There are far better races out there. Elves and dwarves and their sub races. Giant kin, dragons no half dragons though, goblins and orcs. Yuan-Ti's just plain suck. I had enough of them in IWD.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Yuan ti are good mid to high level bad guys. They are organized, they have their goals, and have the power to back up their threats. I prefer Illithids myself, but the yuant-ti are a good second.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well actually, they are. At least in my campaign (Ghostwalk setting)... :lol: They make good enemies, being strong and intelligent, having natural access to psionics (depending on the rules you use) etc.

Alright, that's true, there's only the setting - but there's no need for more, because it serves as major inspiration for unexpected twists in the storyline (as does Heroes of Horror) and not as 1:1 base :) Still, the Y-T were one of the few races updated in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (which produced no further offspring either, unfortunate exception is that abomination called Complete Psionics), and they meant something to all the players in my group. Otoh, the may all have played BIS/Obs games... You see, I don't really have a point to defend here ;)

In my opinion, they are not overdone in the sense that they are not a usual sight in fantasy games, whereas elves, dwarves (however much attention they deserve), orcs, goblins, undead are much more frequent and, honestly, kind of boring in their "pure" fashion. Unless some twists are added to these races, they are the overdone friends and foes of fantasy games. I for one welcome their role (whatever it exactly will be) in SoZ.

is nothing necessarily wrong with yuan-ti. obviously if samm likes 'em, that is more than enough reason to use 'em in a campaign run by samm. if the obsidian folks like yuan-ti that much, then they should use yuan-ti.

personal, Gromnir ain't a huge sleestak fan. cold-blooded snake people? sure, they makes a pretty good long-term d&d foe. unlike sand's suggestion o' mindflayers, yuan-ti is not -posed to be alien and incomprehensible... hate that kinda thing. alien is cheap. is one reason why we avoids cthulu stuff is 'cause "alien" is such an annoying motivation. as noted above in a previous post, we can see many reasons to use the snakes people in a crpg, but they typically have a b-movie cheese factor to 'em. ooohhh! spooky snake people. ack. maybe Gromnir is simply offended by obvious. snakes=bad. natural primate fear o' snakes coupled with all the heavy religious stuff and the dorky freudian dream interp shtick...

*shrug*

Thoth-Amon and the Stygians o' Howard's works were probably the only snake/serpent focused fantasy stuff we has been able to appreciate... if only 'cause Thoth-Amon is one o' the kewler villains we has ever encountered.

worst thing 'bout yuan-ti in an obsidian game is that we weren't real impressed with the way they got used in previous bis games. the side-jaunt to chult in iwd2 were kinda lame and felt almost tacked-on... and we weren't a fan o' dragon's eye portion o' iwd neither. if the yuan-ti stuff in previous works had been super-groovy, then maybe we would have more positive anticipation, but reverse is true.

in other words, and to put it bluntly: do it better this time.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i didn't really care for the dragon's eye portion of IWD, either. at least, not the yuan-ti presence. it was really, really annoying with the cold damage noise every couple rounds or so.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

How about a $15.00 price tag? Seeing as though the first expansion was sold to everyone broken, how about a reduction on the second one's cost? It would be a show of good faith to the consumers. :wacko: I may be hopeing for too much.

Sorry if I come off upset. I just waited six hours for the expansion's patch to download. We only get dial-up here.

Edited by Marcus

Seeing as though the first expansion was sold to everyone broken

It was?

Once you install the expansion pack, the original campaigns are thrown off. You can't get past the first mission in the ruins. You are prevented from gaining the journals for the shared. Anyone who has the MotB expansion below version 1.10.1116 will have this issue. Others have found tweaks, but were only met with more OC issues.

Patches anyone: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2A...tail&id=230

I shouldn't of said everyone. :wacko: Obsidian created a nice first parter. I'm hopping to get them to work together.

Edited by Marcus

Time to start a new thread. This one has reached its limit.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester