Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
515 replies to this topic

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

I felt nothing but drudgery in dealing with all the SE machinations and dreary black-and-white stuff. I just didn't bother to finish it.

that's why i turned it off. you just had to re-add all of your feats at appropriate times to make sure to get the right dialog options (some things require the SE feats). not too difficult, and certainly much less annoying than the danged SE curse.

taks

Xard

Xard

Dreamer

• Members
  • 5127 posts

So... Gfted1 has no interest in what one could (arguably) call one of the best RPG experiences in the past 5 years? Granted, some people don't like NWN2 combat, but that aside Mask of the Betrayer is a masterpiece.

I frankly am not a MOTB groupie. I found too many design decisions (and changes from NWN2) just plain annoying. The whole SE concept and implementation left me flat. *shrug* There was a lot of good about it, I enjoyed the quests, the companions, the overall story... but when I recently completed a replay of NWN2 and automatically exported my character to MOTB, I felt nothing but drudgery in dealing with all the SE machinations and dreary black-and-white stuff. I just didn't bother to finish it a second time.

I know most folks on this forum adored it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks it isn't exactly a "masterpiece". I'm hoping the next expansion will return more to NWN2's roots... but we'll see.

Edit: Wow, I just watched the trailer. Graphics look great, overland map is intriguing, and creating our own party... shades of IWD! I'll miss the fully-developed characters and interactions that provided, but I really loved creating my own party in IWD so I'm getting kind of jazzed about this expansion. It'll be different, that's for sure. Should be interesting.

Wait, what black and white stuff? You mean Shadow World?

That was just pure awesomeness

Anyway, I'm one of those that just don't get the whining about SE. It is really simple to deal with it. Heck, in my current Evil playthrough I have maxed it meaning it is as tricky to play around as possible and I still survive

I play as Wizard/Fighter/EK btw, meaning I must rest regularly

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3531 posts
There were a lot of things about the Spirit Eater thing that made no sense at all. This is probably because the alignment system is already pretty silly, as if all you had were 8 or so choices for psychological and moral makeup.

In a sense it was the bipolar jedi syndrome all over again. Either you are propper jedi, meditating several times a day and keeping you hands above the covers when you sleep, or you fillet babies and swallow their souls.

Xard

Xard

Dreamer

• Members
  • 5127 posts
Umm, you had to do neither

Those were just the rear ends with their own penalties and beneficts

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3751 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The overland map looks great and I was even a little impressed by the firelight flickering in the shipwreck scene. So am I to assume that the huge pillar of light coming down in the overland map is the spot skill doing its job?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3531 posts

Umm, you had to do neither

Those were just the rear ends with their own penalties and beneficts

You could take the gray path, but if you did with a somewhat alignment dependent character, Ranger, Druid, etc, the game could shift you too far for no apparent reason and you would lose the ability to advance in your class. Only Evil or Good were safe from the system screwing your build up.

Edited by Gorgon, 21 July 2008 - 05:21 AM.

Xard

Xard

Dreamer

• Members
  • 5127 posts
They removed the lawful/chaotic shifts IIRC

And really, they were 1 point shifts. You'd have to make a lot other non-aligment fitting choices to create discrepancies

Edited by Xard, 21 July 2008 - 05:24 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3531 posts
If you imported your character chances were pretty good it could happen anyway.

Xard

Xard

Dreamer

• Members
  • 5127 posts
btw, Ranger and Druid only has problems with shifts towards lawful - which were removed

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9473 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Plenty of games have overland maps, but the only game that has a overland map in which you can see monsters and other entities roam around in "real-time" that I can remember is FF. Most games either have an overland map that you walk around in and hit invisible encounter triggers or a map in which you can see potential encounters but is governed by turns.

I don't really like FF at all (which is the only reason I wouldn't call your post condescending), but it's the only reference point I can think of.

Final Fantasy games, pre-XI, had no visible enemies on the world map, instead doing random encounters (with "invisible triggers" as you might call it). They've only had one title that wasn't an MMO that featured the world map behavior you speak of.

Edited by Tale, 21 July 2008 - 05:37 AM.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
I do like that overland map. Looks pretty sweet.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9269 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
That walk through trailer looked pretty sweet. I chuckled when that big ogre dude was swinging his great axe in that crowd of people.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3751 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

heh you are not alone dude. Like, just last week.... I learned that Divine Spellcasters (Cleric/Druid/Spirit Shaman) do NO have Arcane Spell failure when wearing armor or shields.

I never knew this. I feel really dumb. :/

You're like a wise sage in comparion to me. Im that special kind of ignorant that actually used the "recommend" button. :ermm:

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6086 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Plenty of games have overland maps, but the only game that has a overland map in which you can see monsters and other entities roam around in "real-time" that I can remember is FF. Most games either have an overland map that you walk around in and hit invisible encounter triggers or a map in which you can see potential encounters but is governed by turns.

I don't really like FF at all (which is the only reason I wouldn't call your post condescending), but it's the only reference point I can think of.

Final Fantasy games, pre-XI, had no visible enemies on the world map, instead doing random encounters (with "invisible triggers" as you might call it). They've only had one title that wasn't an MMO that featured the world map behavior you speak of.

The only console games I remember with visible enemies before encounters were Lufia and Chrono Trigger. And those weren't on the world map.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4817 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
josh seems to have a preoccupation with snakes/yuan-ti. religious iconography aside, am wondering what freud would say.

HA! Good Fun!

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2937 posts
The yuan-ti weren't my idea, but I am glad they are present.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9473 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
*crosses fingers hoping for the return of Mephasm*

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts

You're like a wise sage in comparion to me. Im that special kind of ignorant that actually used the "recommend" button. :sorcerer:

BWAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA! :lol:

:ermm:

:o

:blink:

BWAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA!

That's worse than my werewolf incident. :p

Edited by Sand, 21 July 2008 - 02:05 PM.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1910 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You're like a wise sage in comparion to me. Im that special kind of ignorant that actually used the "recommend" button. :sorcerer:

BWAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA! :lol:

:ermm:

:o

:blink:

That's worse than my werewolf incident. :p

I used the default Recommend on the companions as well. Here, let me serve you a nice cup of shut the ...

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16110 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The map itself looks like cartoony junk that doesn't fit in with the rest of NWN2's style. That said, as long as the function is solid as it seens to be, it'll be dealable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users