Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
515 replies to this topic

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5814 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The overland map is strangely reminiscent of Warriors of the Eternal Sun, y'now the ancient D&D console game (I had it for the PS1).

Not that it's a bad thing, Warrior's of the Eternal Sun was cool (not least the medieval synthisizer musak).

GreasyDogMeat

GreasyDogMeat

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1636 posts

The overland map is strangely reminiscent of Warriors of the Eternal Sun, y'now the ancient D&D console game (I had it for the PS1).

Not that it's a bad thing, Warrior's of the Eternal Sun was cool (not least the medieval synthisizer musak).

Warriors of the Eternal Sun only came out on Genesis, as far as I know. Didn't really have an overland map, more of simply allowing you to walk about the wilderness, but not zoomed out. Neat game set in Mystara: Hollow World. One similarity it DOES have with SoZ is it had dinosaurs. :)

I think the closest comparison of the SoZ overland map is to Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross (a colorful overland map with enemies visible, no Final Fantasy/Pool of Radiance style instant random encounters) combined with classic D&D video game overland maps (Pool of Radiance, Pools of Darkness where skills were used. I.E. a Ranger could lead the party around the encounter).

I personally REALLY like how the overland map has turned out in SoZ. :blush:

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 5814 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ Yes, my mistake, I had it on the Sega Megadrive (which was what it was called in the UK). I had X-com on the PS1, believe it or not.

The view was scrolled-out, top down isometric - you could see monsters from a distance and avoid them, which is what reminded me of that map on the demo.

Am particularly looking forward to see what modders do with it.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2745 posts
Has our gaming culture really lost so much of its (short) historical perspective that Final Fantasy is considered to be the original franchise to feature an overland map?

tripleRRR

tripleRRR

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts
In this generation yes. :) Thats what I thought of when I first saw the demo.

Of course I only started playing games in the mid 90s.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 5814 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think we need another exposition on Darklands, Sawyer.

Jagged Alliance is my own personal favourite when it comes to maps. Not beautiful by any stretch of the imagination, but fit for purpose.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2745 posts
Even Darklands really was a late-comer to the overland map scene, so to speak. I think that's where a lot of us at Obsidian draw most of our inspiration from when thinking about it, but overland maps go back to earlier games like Phantasie and (more importantly) Ultima.

http://upload.wikime...9/Ultima1-3.gif

1980. Booya.

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire
I...well damn, now I'm really hooked.

Moatilliatta

Moatilliatta

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1250 posts
Am I the only one who sees the overland map and thinks Heroes of Might and Magic?

I personally think it looks really awesome.

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire
That's it!

It immediately reminded me of something, but I didn't realize that it was HoMM I was thinking.

And yes, it looks awesome.

Pavlos

Pavlos

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 108 posts
Will there be a sort of "fast travel" feature in SoZ? I'm just thinking that if I have a quest which demands that I move from city X to city Y (which is on the other side of the continent), the last thing I want to do is have to wander through the wilderness for five minutes...

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 5814 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Even Darklands really was a late-comer to the overland map scene, so to speak. I think that's where a lot of us at Obsidian draw most of our inspiration from when thinking about it, but overland maps go back to earlier games like Phantasie and (more importantly) Ultima.

http://upload.wikime...9/Ultima1-3.gif

I never played Ultima, I didn't get into computer gaming on the PC until the early 90's.

And in the early 80's this was the only overland map I was gaming with:

Pen & paper overland mapping goodness

Would love to see a modder do this with the SoZ tools, complete with the 'A' series modules (Slavers), my all-time favourites.

Cheers
MC

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4000 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Has our gaming culture really lost so much of its (short) historical perspective that Final Fantasy is considered to be the original franchise to feature an overland map?

Plenty of games have overland maps, but the only game that has a overland map in which you can see monsters and other entities roam around in "real-time" that I can remember is FF. Most games either have an overland map that you walk around in and hit invisible encounter triggers or a map in which you can see potential encounters but is governed by turns.

I don't really like FF at all (which is the only reason I wouldn't call your post condescending), but it's the only reference point I can think of.

Edited by Pop, 19 July 2008 - 10:38 AM.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija
Actually, the overland map works and looks exactly like Ultima 1/2/3.

In that, the game has a huge overland map in which you explore, find items, fight monstars. And when you are on say a City tile, you hit a key and then the city area loads up.

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Grimmling
Looks good, I'm mildly excited...

crakkie

crakkie

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 197 posts
Since there have been so many overland maps in RPG history, can you share any specifics about SoZ's?

What's actually going to happen when I run into an enemy or a caravan in the overland map? Does it start the battle in a regular (small) map or do we talk it out in the overland map first? Are there battle maps for each environment? Can I fight on the bridge? And the "hidden areas", are they actual locations ala Fallout or are they just little "chests" that might pop up depending on your Spot skill?

And the overland map looks quite awesome.

Xard

Xard

Dreamer

• Members
  • 5127 posts

Will there be a sort of "fast travel" feature in SoZ? I'm just thinking that if I have a quest which demands that I move from city X to city Y (which is on the other side of the continent), the last thing I want to do is have to wander through the wilderness for five minutes...

Why? That defeats the whole purpose of it

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6009 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Final Fantasy got its world map thing from western RPGs so what's the big deal? You could say that Storm of Zehir has an Ultima style world map and it would be the same thing.

Some people haven't lost their gaming culture... :biggrin:

*toot toot* :own horn:

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2745 posts

Will there be a sort of "fast travel" feature in SoZ?

Nope.

~Di

~Di

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 992 posts

So... Gfted1 has no interest in what one could (arguably) call one of the best RPG experiences in the past 5 years? Granted, some people don't like NWN2 combat, but that aside Mask of the Betrayer is a masterpiece.

I frankly am not a MOTB groupie. I found too many design decisions (and changes from NWN2) just plain annoying. The whole SE concept and implementation left me flat. *shrug* There was a lot of good about it, I enjoyed the quests, the companions, the overall story... but when I recently completed a replay of NWN2 and automatically exported my character to MOTB, I felt nothing but drudgery in dealing with all the SE machinations and dreary black-and-white stuff. I just didn't bother to finish it a second time.

I know most folks on this forum adored it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks it isn't exactly a "masterpiece". I'm hoping the next expansion will return more to NWN2's roots... but we'll see.

Edit: Wow, I just watched the trailer. Graphics look great, overland map is intriguing, and creating our own party... shades of IWD! I'll miss the fully-developed characters and interactions that provided, but I really loved creating my own party in IWD so I'm getting kind of jazzed about this expansion. It'll be different, that's for sure. Should be interesting.

Edited by ~Di, 20 July 2008 - 11:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users