Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

His reviews are great, but they're entertainment. This sort of stuff isn't going to "improve the rate of innovation" in the industry, there's simply not enough to them.

Really, his reviews are just the same as everyone elses. If you agree with them, he's right, if you don't, he's wrong.

His reviews are great, but they're entertainment. This sort of stuff isn't going to "improve the rate of innovation" in the industry, there's simply not enough to them.

That's what I'm saying. More reviewers should harsher.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Really, his reviews are just the same as everyone elses. If you agree with them, he's right, if you don't, he's wrong.

See, it's when people say things like this that I'm glad I still frequent this forum. This is the reason why even if Yahtzee has the potential to create a dialogue concerning the state of gaming, he won't. The critical thinking skills of your average gamer (at least, the average gamer who hears something he doesn't like) are equivalent to those of a high schooler who totally knows the score, man, so don't come at him with your "opinions", man, because that's all argument really is, man, and opinions are like ****, man, and mine's just as good as yours, man, so, like, stop imposing and live and let live. Man. It's amazing how unassailable your preconceptions are when criticism is meaningless.

Some days, I dream of a world in which someone could both crack jokes and actually say things worth hearing and addressing. Maybe... maybe they could do both at the same time! That's a concept so heavy I can't even really fathom it. I can't imagine doing anything but choosing between the two.

Anyway, people tend to laugh at what Yahtzee says, so it seems pretty obvious that he's not really saying anything at all. I think I'm going to go turn on the Daily Show and watch Jon Stewart talk about nothing at all relevant or noteworthy, as he has for the last 10 years. Politics and the media are fraught with hypocrisy and insanity, but you'd never know that watching a show so obviously dedicated to comedy.

Edited by Pop

That's what I'm saying. More reviewers should harsher.

I think you misread "not enough to them." as "not enough of them."

What exactly is it in his reviews that you think could change the industry if more reviews said the same thing? Would Bioware change their successful formula if they received enough not-quite-so-positive reviews? Do negative reviews really have that much of an impact on sales? Last I heard Kane & Lynch made bucketloads of cash and a sequel is on the way.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50713

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...16&Itemid=2

According to the above short articles Kane&Lynch has sold about 1 million units or games. However, sometimes publishers seem to confuse shipped units with sold units. Just because a game unit has been shipped does not necessarily mean that it also has been sold.

As A Dane, however, I'm happu with this, since it means that the Danish developer, IO Interactive, can get their expenses (& then some some ) re-imbursed. The best thing that could happen, imo, was in fact the controversy about this game, since it means that many people just are buying the game to check out for themselves if the game really is as awafull as Gamespot's Jeff Gerstmann claimed.

As for for Yahtzee's reviews, I have had a hard time taking them too seriously lately. I mean, the first one was still fun and all, but there seemed to be certain seriousness about the games he reviewed. Now it seems that he just most of all goes for the 'awe & shock' effect. This also can be seen in his most recent reviews of *the witcher* It is fine that he doesn't like the story etc. etc. and that he doesn't like the dialogue(s) in *the witcher*. But I have just one thing to say. It is an rpg - not an FPS game. Or in other words: It isn't Halo 3 or Half-Life 2. Complaining about dialogues in an rpg as well as choice & consequences etc. in an rpg seems just a bit silly.

As for Bioware getting highly acclaimed reviews, maybe their games just deserve this. I agree, however, that ratings in the 9.5-9.99 point range seems just a little bit (ok, a lot) silly, but it must be the journalists that have to look inward if this should change, imo. They need to be fair as well as balanced and apply their critical sense as well when they review a game. Then maybe we won't see ratings in the 9.70 to 9.98 range for games that don't deserve it, at least not when you read the text to the reviews.

Edited by aries101

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

What exactly is it in his reviews that you think could change the industry if more reviews said the same thing? Would Bioware change their successful formula if they received enough not-quite-so-positive reviews?

Yes, if those reviews translated into lost sales, and that's the real question.

Some of the best games ever made have recived great reviews, but have been let down by crappy marketing. Nexus is a prime example of this.

Likewise, Kayne and Lynch didn't need great reviews, because most of the people who heard about it saw only what the marketing people wanted them to see, which was the promise of a dark and gritty story of two psycholic badasses fighting the law.

There is, after all, a reason why games like Spiderman 3 and Transformers sell and it often seems to have very little to do with the actual gameplay and a lot to do with the surrounding media.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

*cough* Sonice the Hedgehog for the 360 *cough*

Everyone played that game, and it sucked.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Totally, dude. I keep emailing all the gaming sites, imploring them to include some sort of text-based game review alongside their numerical scores, but they keep defying me. If only there was something I could read other than the numerical scores. This sucks.

Anyway, that's completely relevant to Yahtzee, who never fails to include a summary numerical score in every single one of his reviews.

Edited by Pop

It's Umbrella chronicles this week

Next week (if the ending is any indication) will be :dun dun dun: COD4.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It isn't him being funny that keeps people from taking it seriously, I think it's just that fact that almost all of his reviews show the games negatively, and how much he throws ****+word in to the review, that makes it seem more like gimmiky entertainment, and less like a review.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

You might have a point there, but being that all his reviews DO have fair (if sometimes long winded_ points there's really not much basis for withholding that claim when the viewer is anybody with more than half a brain.

so approximately 3% of the gaming community.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I agree with that, I'm just saying that it's understandable for some people to disregard his reviews as a whole, and that if there really was some sort of intent to change something about games as a whole, then his approach cerainly isn't helping to make his case. I don't disagree with the notion that he is correct in his assesments of games.

I might be getting a little off track from what I was originally trying to say, which was in response to Pop seemingly saying something elitist about how the reason people shrug off what this Yahtzee guy says is because he's being funny, and how people who don't agree with Yahtzee do so because they can't understand that comedy can say something worthwhile. I'm saying that I'm more inclined to believe he is exagerating things, for the purpose of entertainment, and as such, he may have some basis for his complaints, but on a whole he exagerates, and throws in some swear words and allusion's to poop to get more views.

I'm just saying, I could understand why his reviews wouldn't hold a lot in the way of being constructive.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I think that most people who watch Yahtzee's videos are actually smart enough to realize that he's making valid points, it's just that they don't agree with him. The sad thing is that it seems as though some people aren't willing to really address what he says. Usually with game reviews, an aversion to honest argument is expressed as "he's biased" or "she obviously didn't play the game well / enough", although the latter can sometimes be apparent as true. With Yahtzee, it's also expressed as "he's just an entertainer" or "it's comedy". Such statements are obviously dismissive, not even tacit denials of points given, but denial that points can actually be made. It's an insult to discourse and thought.

^What he said.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't disagree about him having valid points. I'm not saying that because he's entertaining that his points aren't valid. I'm not taking Hell Kitty's stance and saying that there isn't enough to the arguments he's making. I'm saying that I don't think the way he presents his points is a good way to present the points he is making if his goal was to actually change something in the gaming market. As in, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinnegar. I agree, saying he's just an entertainer and as a result his points don't hold water is dismissive, and that's why I don't think more reviews should be like his, because it's easy for people to dismiss it. So if someone wanted to change something in the market, they would have to do so in a way that wouldn't outright offend the people making the games, by comparing the game to a diaper filled with whatever clever game related one-liner he comes up with.

That's all I meant.

I don't disagree about him having valid points. I'm not saying that because he's entertaining that his points aren't valid. I'm not taking Hell Kitty's stance and saying that there isn't enough to the arguments he's making. I'm saying that I don't think the way he presents his points is a good way to present the points he is making if his goal was to actually change something in the gaming market. As in, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinnegar. I agree, saying he's just an entertainer and as a result his points don't hold water is dismissive, and that's why I don't think more reviews should be like his, because it's easy for people to dismiss it. So if someone wanted to change something in the market, they would have to do so in a way that wouldn't outright offend the people making the games, by comparing the game to a diaper filled with whatever clever game related one-liner he comes up with.

I actually agree with this. My stance that there isn't enough to the arguments he's making is only in relation to Pidescos belief that more harsher reviews would increase innovation in the industry. As reviews they're fine, but take away the fun and the points he's making aren't new, they've been made by other reviews or gamers or developers. I wouldn't want to him to swap vinegar for honey, but then I don't think his goal is to change the industry any more than any other reviewer. The harshness isn't unique, and it isn't why people take more notice of his reviews, it's the humor and delivery and vinegar, and I'd hate to see people copy that because then it would just make that review style boring.

The real question, as Nick_i_am pointed out, is whether harsh reviews can translate into lost sales. A review being right if you agree with it and wrong if you don't can apply just as much to developers as gamers. If Random Developer X thinks his design is the best thing ever, and has the fans and sales that agree with him, why would he change? Gabe Newell, for instance, isn't interested in making non-linear games because he believes a player should be able to experience everything the game has to offer in one play through, and many, many gamers are obviously happy with this. Are reviews really so powerful that they can change the way gamers think?

I think innovation is something that happens by accident. A developer comes up with a game and if something about it hasn't been done before then it's innovative. It's something that comes from a desire to do something that just happens to be new, rather than a need to do something new because the old is getting harsher reviews.

The reason I started watching Yahtzee is that he used to be really dead-on about the flaws of games, and he was funny. Unfortunantly, it appears that he has less time playing the games lately so his latest reviews tend to only focus on the most superficial.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The reason I started watching Yahtzee is that he used to be really dead-on about the flaws of games, and he was funny. Unfortunantly, it appears that he has less time playing the games lately so his latest reviews tend to only focus on the most superficial.

I have to agree, he often pointed out valid flaws in games. It's done in an entertaining way, infact he OVER does it, but if you take the comments lightly enough he's usually right to a certain degree... That said, its really not worth him reviewing alot of games on the grounds that if it's an RPG he actually complains about the fact it's an RPG, which frankly I find odd!

I think initially it was a funny approch but unless he actually starts to approch gaming genre's without a degree of bias "OMG it's an RPG and it's got like talking and text so it sucks", isn't really my idea of a decent review of a game... But he has done some noteable classic reviews:

Tomb Raider, Halo3, Fable, Psychonaughts, and Orange Box all spring to mind as funny and somewhat accurate reviews, where the reviews of Mass Effect and The Witcher just seem pointless, as they ended up being neither that entertaining or valid.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Usually with game reviews, an aversion to honest argument is expressed as "he's biased"

No, please, Mr. Yahtzee, don't degrade our precious precious babies.

The purpose of Yahtzee is to be funny and review games without regard for their pretensions, which is exactly what he's doing. And Yahtzee is painfully correct in that the Witcher is padded so hard it makes Neverwinter Nights 2 look like ****ing Portal.

See, most everybody here operates under the pretension that RPGs are "special" and "different" and you have to play them differently (and coincidentally, put up with all sorts of bull****) to really appreciate their true greatness. Yahtzee has no such illusions. He sees them as games, not works of beautiful, unique art. He holds them to the same standard he holds other games to, and if a platformer had all the pretension of an RPG, he'd fail it too.

Fact - Mass Effect has more dialogue than 20 average length feature films.

Fact - The Witcher is 90% grind, 1% "show-me-the-ring/let's-play-a-game" and 9% reminding the player what's happening. Incidentally, I've given up on the game after 12 hours of grinding before they tell me "oh, now, yeah, seriously, now you have to make choices that are going to matter. Now, if you would, kill 10 alghouls and bring their skulls to me!".

Also, 25% "**** me now, Geralt".

Edited by Pop

Pop hates the vidya. I think it's time we all came to accept that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Pretty good review, as in entertaining review.

But i never cared for CoD 4 anyway, and this review didn't get me any more interested either.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was disapointed with CoD 4, though no where near as disapointed as I was with CoD 2. For me, CoD 1 + United Offensive was the pinnacle of WWII shooters. It did nearly everything right in both single and multiplayer. Every CoD since has mucked up the formula, and removed numerous awesome extras in the UO expansion.

The American campaign was WAY too short and a complete rip off, which I wouldn't have minded except I bought the game based on the demo, which was from the American campaign.

CoD 4 still has the lame tension/realism breaking health regeneration. I really really hate it. It belongs in Halo, not a military shooter.

The multiplayer is a helicopter/air strike spam fest. It makes sure that the first team that aquires one of these abilities continues to dominate. There really should have been a better way to implement these abilities.

Yahtzee mentioned it as well, but the rap at the end of the game was... horrendous. I was almost tempted to ctrl+alt+delete out of it, but I'm glad I didn't as a cool final bonus airplane shoot out mission starts at the end of the credits. Loved the references to the movie 'Airplane' too. :lol:

On the positive the game has some absolutly fantastic moments. I absolutly loved the Chernobyl defense sequence. For those who don't know, don't shoot the dogs feasting on the dead russian in the pool room. During the final battle when the guns start blazing, the dogs will rush out and start mauling the Russians, as they walk through the claymore filled grassland... as I sniped them. It was beautiful. :devil:

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Hmmm... I see a lot of "poop" jokes in this one... wasn't too funny.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"