Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
508 replies to this topic

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5620 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

2) RPG fans are lobster accountants

Shellfish bastards?

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 7137 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Fallout 3

Remarkably positive.

You know, even the NMA review isn't all doom and gloom.

Slowtrain

Slowtrain

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5295 posts
jam with puss.

Now that's good eating.

Aristes

Aristes

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1271 posts
I was seriously surprised. He's not always that kind to RPGs. He does have a point though. Why bring in excellent voice actors and then shove them offstage? I have to admit 3 Dog does do a good job. ...And he's right about the Oblivion thing. It's one of the first things I noticed, and mentioned here. FO3 is like Oblivion, but the setting and SPECIAL, as well as other general design improvements, make it a million times better.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5135 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oblivion done "well", i guess.

I haven't bought/tried Fallout 3, and i probably will not within the next 2-3 years and by judging from this review, it seems like i am not missing anything perticular either.

Edited by Meshugger, 19 November 2008 - 01:02 PM.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5620 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oblivion done "well", i guess.

I haven't bought/tried Fallout 3, and i probably will not within the next 2-3 years and by judging from this review, it seems like i am not missing anything perticular either.

I would strongly urge you to buy a copy. Crank up the difficulty, so you get a good flavourfull chunmk to chew on, and have fun. Certainly there's elements of Oblivion, but ... the best way I can put it is:

I despised Oblivion, and was only able to finish by installing a third party mod, and invoking every shred of my natural bloody-mindedness. If FO3 is Oblivion, then I've changed into a completely different man, because I frakking love FO3.

Aristes

Aristes

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1271 posts
How many positive reviews does this guy give? I mean, it's entertaining more than informative. You really can't get a good idea of any game based on Yahtzee reviews. A good laugh? Sure. Pass some time? You bet. Information that will help you make an enlightened decision? Not really. Not most of the time.

Personally, I don't care about folks buying Fallout 3. Apparently, enough folks have bought it that I'm fairly confident we'll see Fallout 4. If folks want to miss out on a good game because it's Fallout not made by St. Timmy, fine by me. That's not really aimed at you, though, Mesh, because I've never actually seen you go crazy in one of these Fallout debates. That puts you one ahead of me by my count.

All that said, while I don't think that it really tells you much about the game, I laughed a lot during that review because it really captures some of my praise/complaints about the game.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8213 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

How many positive reviews does this guy give? I mean, it's entertaining more than informative. You really can't get a good idea of any game based on Yahtzee reviews. A good laugh? Sure. Pass some time? You bet. Information that will help you make an enlightened decision? Not really. Not most of the time.

Personally, I don't care about folks buying Fallout 3. Apparently, enough folks have bought it that I'm fairly confident we'll see Fallout 4. If folks want to miss out on a good game because it's Fallout not made by St. Timmy, fine by me. That's not really aimed at you, though, Mesh, because I've never actually seen you go crazy in one of these Fallout debates. That puts you one ahead of me by my count.

All that said, while I don't think that it really tells you much about the game, I laughed a lot during that review because it really captures some of my praise/complaints about the game.

I think that for Yhatzee to be effective as a reviewer he has to hate the game because that's the only time that you actually get a view of the real problems that the game has.
I've found that after playing a game or two that are on his crap-list or his "meh It's OK" list that his problems with the games are valid and the willingness of the player to forge on dispite the problems is what makes the game. (his Airborne review is spot about the problems) but alot of what he posts anymore is personal preference rather than game problems or such.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12324 posts
Closed due to size. :lol:

It would seem we need a part 2 though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users