Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

2) RPG fans are lobster accountants

Shellfish bastards?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

jam with puss.

Now that's good eating.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I was seriously surprised. He's not always that kind to RPGs. He does have a point though. Why bring in excellent voice actors and then shove them offstage? I have to admit 3 Dog does do a good job. ...And he's right about the Oblivion thing. It's one of the first things I noticed, and mentioned here. FO3 is like Oblivion, but the setting and SPECIAL, as well as other general design improvements, make it a million times better.

Oblivion done "well", i guess.

I haven't bought/tried Fallout 3, and i probably will not within the next 2-3 years and by judging from this review, it seems like i am not missing anything perticular either.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oblivion done "well", i guess.

I haven't bought/tried Fallout 3, and i probably will not within the next 2-3 years and by judging from this review, it seems like i am not missing anything perticular either.

I would strongly urge you to buy a copy. Crank up the difficulty, so you get a good flavourfull chunmk to chew on, and have fun. Certainly there's elements of Oblivion, but ... the best way I can put it is:

I despised Oblivion, and was only able to finish by installing a third party mod, and invoking every shred of my natural bloody-mindedness. If FO3 is Oblivion, then I've changed into a completely different man, because I frakking love FO3.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How many positive reviews does this guy give? I mean, it's entertaining more than informative. You really can't get a good idea of any game based on Yahtzee reviews. A good laugh? Sure. Pass some time? You bet. Information that will help you make an enlightened decision? Not really. Not most of the time.

Personally, I don't care about folks buying Fallout 3. Apparently, enough folks have bought it that I'm fairly confident we'll see Fallout 4. If folks want to miss out on a good game because it's Fallout not made by St. Timmy, fine by me. That's not really aimed at you, though, Mesh, because I've never actually seen you go crazy in one of these Fallout debates. That puts you one ahead of me by my count.

All that said, while I don't think that it really tells you much about the game, I laughed a lot during that review because it really captures some of my praise/complaints about the game.

How many positive reviews does this guy give? I mean, it's entertaining more than informative. You really can't get a good idea of any game based on Yahtzee reviews. A good laugh? Sure. Pass some time? You bet. Information that will help you make an enlightened decision? Not really. Not most of the time.

Personally, I don't care about folks buying Fallout 3. Apparently, enough folks have bought it that I'm fairly confident we'll see Fallout 4. If folks want to miss out on a good game because it's Fallout not made by St. Timmy, fine by me. That's not really aimed at you, though, Mesh, because I've never actually seen you go crazy in one of these Fallout debates. That puts you one ahead of me by my count.

All that said, while I don't think that it really tells you much about the game, I laughed a lot during that review because it really captures some of my praise/complaints about the game.

I think that for Yhatzee to be effective as a reviewer he has to hate the game because that's the only time that you actually get a view of the real problems that the game has.

I've found that after playing a game or two that are on his crap-list or his "meh It's OK" list that his problems with the games are valid and the willingness of the player to forge on dispite the problems is what makes the game. (his Airborne review is spot about the problems) but alot of what he posts anymore is personal preference rather than game problems or such.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.