Real Breaking News: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Sand

Oh, I didn't take offense. I'm just saying that the NWN franchise hasn't set records in the story department. However, I will say that I'm confident that Sand will enjoy the story for MotB quite a bit. I'm going to do a write up of my impressions some time next week. I'm only going to use information already available in printed/online interviews. Unless I get something from my elusive fifth person, I'm going to post my chat with George Ziets first.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

*puff* *puff*

Yes, zat is a tidbit I'd like to share in as well.

*poofff*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Not all at once, you'll burn yourself. You've got to regulate your intake, cool it down a bit before you inhale, lest you end up with a scar on your uvula and an inability to eat solid food for a week. True pain.

I dunno if anybody else dropped by the NWN2 blog yesterday, but they released the theme song to MotB (wooooo mp3) and it's ****tacular. Alex Brandon's tenure at our little dev house is off to a good start.

Edited by Pop

I dunno if anybody else dropped by the NWN2 blog yesterday, but they released the theme song to MotB (wooooo mp3) and it's ****tacular. Alex Brandon's tenure at our little dev house is off to a good start.

Nice! :aiee:

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The idea is, Cant has actually played the through the story, if you are not up to date with forum happenings, he was in QA for MotB. So give him some slack.

:aiee:

Say what?!?!?!

;)

*jealousy rages*

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yeah, I get that a lot.

*ahem*

The music is great. It feels like IWD-era Soule and yet has that Brandonian tinge. Nice, very nice.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm liking what I'm reading about MOTB so far. Story-focused, more content than NWN2 re: character development. I also see it as a good thing that despite that, it's shorter than NWN2. NWN2 was too long - not because I have a short attention, but that NWN2 didn't have enough content to sustain that length without suffering from areas of tediousness. In a way, an Xpac is a good way to focus on tightening the story and focusing on the game content without feeling pressure to make the game long for its own sake, and without having to build the engine/toolset up to speed since it's already done.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Nice! :thumbsup:

I thought that piece was lame. Hopefully it isn't final.

Morgoth in "being dramatically negative" shocker.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That doesn't even make sense in the context.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/812/812667p1.html

New interview.

Mask of the Betrayer has five companions. Two are mutually exclusive, and all are optional.

(three examples)

The global dialogues for all three of them are richer and longer than even the most developed NWN2 companions - our writers really outdid themselves. In Mask, the companions also have more to say throughout the general course of the game; for example, they'll comment on specific events or places you come across - without breaking the flow of action.

Fewer but deeper/optional characters sounds good to me. Is the game still max 4 party members including the PC?

As you might guess, one thing we added was a few masks that characters can wear. The hathran (Rashemi witches) are renowned for their use of masks, and the concept of things not being quite as they appear is a theme woven throughout the entire game.

Hopefully this will be more interesting than just additional equipment.

The new spirit energy system I mentioned previously is a bit like its own magic system, but it in no way takes away from the core D&D magic system. It does make your use of spells in combat more strategic, however. Resting isn't "free" in Mask, so you'll want to more carefully manage what spells you cast, and when.

I haven't heard about this before? What the crap is this?

We've set up a NWN2 developer wiki that we're filling with information on creating NWN2 modules and content - we'll be talking more about this and opening it up to the entire community in the fairly near future.
One pretty subtle feature that I think has some neat uses is a more powerful load screen message system that governs the tips and lore you see while transitioning between areas. Those tips can now be based upon which area you're entering or where you are in the progression of the game's story. We used this feature in Mask for a couple things. First, we tried to sort of mimic the concept of the "boxed text" from classic D&D modules. You know, when you first enter an area and the DM reads you a description of what you see.

Second, we used the messages to support the story and to give the player information that's relevant to what's going on - instead of just completely random information. It's a small thing, but little touches like this make the game feel more polished. And it's completely usable by the community for their own modules and campaigns.

Yay for modders.

I have to say I'm more interested in the xpac now than I was after finishing NWN2. I'll pick this up once it's available through D2D (which is my NWN2 version).

Hadescopy.jpg

The new spirit energy system I mentioned previously is a bit like its own magic system, but it in no way takes away from the core D&D magic system. It does make your use of spells in combat more strategic, however. Resting isn't "free" in Mask, so you'll want to more carefully manage what spells you cast, and when.

....>What?

It doesn't sound like a class-specific feature, though. Paraphrasing from other stuff I read since, but it has its own interface, and supposedly involves story, dialogue and combat. Heh.

Spirit Shaman is really just a sorcerer with druid spells, no?

Hadescopy.jpg

This expansion is one of few games that I'm actually looking forward to at the moment. The main gripe I have with it is that we're moving into Epic levels, which is not something I particularly fancy. But the setting is interesting (finally away from the Sword Coast), the companions seem intriguing and supposedly have a lot of dialogue and the story is said to be more personal and dark.

Rob McGinnis latest blog update has an interesting little bit where a community member got to try out the beginning of the expansion for a bit, he seemed impressed which is always nice.

While I have no idea about this new "spirit system", it's nice that there will be some form of resting restrictions this time around.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The spirit energy system is integral to the story. I was not impressed when I first heard about it, but it added a lot of enjoyment for me. There is a lot you can do with it, if you're just willing to explore both the system and the story.

Speaking of the story, it is much darker and more personal, as our Starwars friend says. I think I'll actually make myself sit down and write that review today. Once again, I can only cite things for which I've secured advanced permission or seen in interviews already available.

This is a small community. I think it's good that one of our number got a chance to play the game, even if I don't begrudge the community on the Bioware boards.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't want to hear a reveiw.

Boycott

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

George was involved in LotR online, DnD Online, and Earth and Beyond. That's just off the top of my head. I'll have to go through my notes to see if there's anything else. He did say that MotB is his most significant and challenging project to date. I believe him. :Cant's friendly grin icon:

...And hush, Pixies.

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays