Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NWN2: Technical Challenges

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4028 posts
  • Gold Backer
Haven't had that happen to me with quest items that are given to you. I've occasionally tried to loot a corpse while I had a full inventory, but everytime I've done that they items in question just end up back on the corpse.

Did the item possibly drop to the ground or get passed on to another character? :ermm:

Edited by Deraldin, 08 November 2006 - 08:50 AM.

kalimeeri

kalimeeri

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 564 posts
She said not. I'll see what happens when I get there, maybe I can re-create it. But in any case, it would be nice to have a message pop up, in case you're a forgetful packrat (like me :( ). And I don't always stop to make sure all of the items I picked up are actually there, which could turn out to be a bad thing with a save-over.
Just sayin'.

Minor issues aside, any game that can pull the kid off the Warcraft-go-round has my thanks and my $. Story and character FTW. HA! :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts
It might be due to script or dialog, since that particular chest has a special cinematic tied to it. If Neeshka's in the party she'll demand half of the loot, and through dialog you're given the option of trying to identify the items, taking them, or walking away. If you walk away, you can return and open the chest like normal. If you take the items via dialog the transfer is done by script rather than by the engine's usual inventory transfer; this may be the cause of them disappearing into thin air due to a full inventory.

Edited by Wistrik, 09 November 2006 - 10:56 AM.

kalimeeri

kalimeeri

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 564 posts

It might be due to script or dialog, since that particular chest has a special cinematic tied to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooh, I'll bet you're right--thanks!

:cool:

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts
I believe I've found a crash bug...

When a merchant first opens his shop display, nothing is selected. If you press the Buy button without selecting anything, the game will crash to the desktop.

This happened while running the NWNMAIN_AMDXP.EXE file, which I had renamed to NWNMAIN.EXE because it gets better performance on my AMD machine than the default NWNMAIN.EXE does.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
btw, i've moved the amdxp executable over to main as well. no differences yet, but i have not played much since doing so. i'll report when i get a chance. based on my workload between linear algebra and research proposal, that won't be soon... i have no time for sanity anymore.

taks

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16120 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Heh. Since this is the 'NWN2 Technical Challenges' thread, I might as well repeat myself. LOL

temple of Seasons was bugged for me. I was able to unlock the North Door in the Winter Room and grab the statue for the cermeony. The other doors are locked with no way to bypass them. The Winter Challenge tm (pedestal book) claims I completed its task; but I did no such thing (unless unlocking the door was its task, R00lfes!).

Anyone else suffer the inhumanity of this!?!

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
yes. i did the winter challenge and inadvertantly picked the lock on the door. once i did that, the spring challenge said i was done. i would imagine that picking the lock, or opening the door in particular, is what signaled "done" for the challenges. that coupled with the carnage solution i chose for all the other areas is why i'm restarting the map.

taks

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16120 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh btw, The bugs keep on coming! Now, I got a major one when dealing with the Lizardfolk Chief in ch3. After beating it; it says "Do as you wish" and my only option is to press continue. After that, it no longer talks, and I am absolutely TRAPPED in a small area. R00fles! Reloading doens't help! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

And, here I thought NWN2 was a a relativley unbuggy game. Oops... That's two major bugs found in the last 24 hours including one game ender. I'll have to avoid that entire area now which means I'll likely lose potential allies. YAHOO!!!!!

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4028 posts
  • Gold Backer

Oh btw, The bugs keep on coming! Now, I got a major one when dealing with the Lizardfolk Chief in ch3. After beating it; it says "Do as you wish" and my only option is to press continue. After that, it no longer talks, and I am absolutely TRAPPED in a small area. R00fles! Reloading doens't help! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

And, here I thought NWN2 was a a relativley unbuggy game. Oops... That's two major bugs found in the last 24 hours including one game ender. I'll have to avoid that entire area now which means I'll likely lose potential allies. YAHOO!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't we already cover this one in another thread? :)

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16120 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes. But, I'm not the one who amde two different bug threads. Anyways, the problem was solvbed. Still ahorrible bug. Had to use normal dififuclty mode for 20 seconds. Boooo!!!

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
btw, i've kicked it up to high textures and, as it seems others have noticed, there is no noticeable dip in frame-rate. so now i'm running high textures, no bloom, no water, no shadows, linear filtering for every option, and i'm getting 30 or so fps inside and 50+ outside at 1024x768 (85 Hz refresh). of course, it drops below that when there are a ton of CPU sucking AI scripts running about. heavy spell battles also impact performance as well as weather effects (i.e. snow in seasons puzzle).

taks

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 10837 posts

Hi , lookinf for a little help here .. im not by far a know all on computer type stuff but i cant seem to get nwn2 to start.. ive reinstalled the whole thing twice and i keep getting a direct X problem ?

" could not find any compatible direct 3D devices "

never had anything like this b4, i ran the patcher for the game and still cant seem to fix this .. any ideas plz? :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 10837 posts

So I was told at BioWare and Atari to come here and see in any diffrent support occured...

The Disk will not detect in my DVD/CD RW drive, all specs and requirements for game play are up to date and met. When put into the drive it just spins for awhile and then nothing, when manualy selected the drive says there is no disk in there.

I need support or a method by which I can download the game whith a valid retail KEY code.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Hi , lookinf for a little help here .. im not by far a know all on computer type stuff but i cant seem to get nwn2 to start.. ive reinstalled the whole thing twice and i keep getting a direct X problem ?

" could not find any compatible direct 3D devices "

never had anything like this b4, i ran the patcher for the game and still cant seem to fix this .. any ideas plz? :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds like this guy does not have a supported vid card, or he does not have directx updated.

taks

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

So I was told at BioWare and Atari to come here and see in any diffrent support occured...

The Disk will not detect in my DVD/CD RW drive, all specs and requirements for game play are up to date and met. When put into the drive it just spins for awhile and then nothing, when manualy selected the drive says there is no disk in there.

I need support or a method by which I can download the game whith a valid retail KEY code.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is not uncommon for game CDs to be unrecognized by a CD player. i'd recommend taking the game back to the store and getting another copy. if that doesn't help, then try another CD player. this problem is typically worse with CD R/W drives, from what i've seen. another option is to get one of those drive cleaners as his read head may be dirty enough to cause problems with some mass produced disks.

taks

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8755 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also, obviously, firmware upgrades.

I have the Toolset crashing problem like many other people do on the bioboards; the suggested fixes so far are different display drivers, .net framework reinstall, directx reinstall, and some .dll switchings. Nothing works.

Using Process Monitor I discovered that the last series of actions the toolsetlauncher.exe takes before initiating crash/debug processes are that it looks for something called mscorlib.resources.exe, or something in a mscorlib.resources folder. It sounds to mel ike a .net framework file (it access mscorwks fine); but such a file or folder is not present anywhere on my computer, even after installing.net framework 2 and its SDK.

To Oerwinde and any others that have the toolset working; are you able to locate such a file anywhere, specifically in C:/Windows/Microsoft.net/framework/v2.0....?

I would also be very interested in seeing a process monitor (available here) log of the toolset opening for someone that CAN run it, but that might be too much of a bother.

Thanks.

LostStraw

LostStraw

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 700 posts
The tool set works fine for me.

I don't have a mscorlib.resources.exe or a "mscorlib.resources" folder. The closest I have is mscorlib.dll located in "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" and another one located in "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322".

When I started it up while using the process monitor it did not try to access anything related to mscorlib.resources. The tool set version is 1.0.807.0

The log file is about 10MB uncompressed, so it's a little unwieldy to try posting here.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8755 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
See, that's odd. I've tried with 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 now, and in all instances it attempts to refer to mscorlib.resources before crashing.

I too have a mscorlib.dll, and this doesn't seem to help.

Gonna try to disguise that .dll as the mscorlib.resources.exe, but somehow I doubt it'll work.

edit: nope, such a disguise shows 'success' in toolset trying to do stuff with the .exe, but it still crashes at the same juncture. :crazy:

Gogo obsidian!

Edited by Tigranes, 16 November 2006 - 08:22 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 5984 posts
Devs please patch the shadows to make them stop lagging when set on high! Even the best graphics cards can't handle them smoothly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users