POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

WTF?? These newer OSes (Vista & Win 7) aren't up with the 21st century? I might as well have stuck with XP. The only reason I updated to Win 7 was for it to recognize more RAM. I would have installed the 64 bit but it wouldn't since this was a 32 bit XP OS.

I am starting to hate technology.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It's a limitation of 32-bit addressing, so nothing to do with what generation OS it is. Calculator shows 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 = ~4.3GiB. Subtract what's eaten up by your video card and you get that 3.25GB number Windows tells you. (I know it's not a very good explanation but I'm just a consumer, not a techie)

WinXP 64, Vista64 and Win7-64 would all see your total RAM normally.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I would have installed the 64 bit but it wouldn't since this was a 32 bit XP OS.

You can install x64 Windows 7 over x86 XP - it just takes a custom installation. :thumbsup:

I tried to and it wouldn't let me. I stuck the 64 bit disk in and gave me an error message.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I tried to and it wouldn't let. I stuck the 64 bit disk in and gave me an error message.

Oh it's very possible. You just, as I said, need to play around a bit during the installation. :thumbsup:

Backup data

Boot to Windows 7 installation disc

Select "Custom Installation" and re-create primary drive partition(s)

Patience (approximately 30 minutes)

Re-configure OS and restore backup

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Lets try this again. Now reformating my drive, install my 32 bit XP and then try installing the 64 bit Win 7 upgrade.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

So, anyone in this forum using a SSD/ planning to buy one?

No, but I may get one for my boot partition when the $85 SSD comes out.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

This is my 900 aka the Blue Machine. Named after the blue lights it has on the fans and the 900 case name.

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard set up for Crossfire.

DIAMOND Viper Radeon HD 3870

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz

2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory.

Creative Sound Blaster Fatal1ty X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card.

Apevia 750W power supply.

Samsung DVD Writer.

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA hard drive.

Zalman heatsink and fan for the CPU.

Antec 900 case.

Windows XP Pro.

Saitek Cyborg keyboard

SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 (WHEN I GET MY REPLACEMENT)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz

4 GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Since I built my own instead of buying prebuilt I'll list it here I guess.

ASUS p6T motherboard

Intel i7-920

6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 RAM (bought 6 for when I get around to a 64 bit OS)

GeForce GTX 275 (decided it'd do until the new geforce comes out/I install Win7 etc)

Corsair TX750W power supply

500GB SATA 7200 HD (too cheap to do SSD yet..for the core pc parts, yes...for a HD..no)

SB X-Fi extreme audio (it was cheap...)

Some big blue neon fan case (whirlwind or something)

Maybe I'll get some more cooling later. These new gpu's certainly run hot, even w/6 fans.

The last PC I built was over 4 years ago, and this new one better last at least as long. Minus the video card & other minor pieces. I expect to buy new vid cards/drives once a while.

...still have my old Pentium 4/AGP/always XP system as my backup/storage and for crunching/running multiple older programs/internet while gaming on the new pc at same time. That's important, you know. It allows me to pretend I'm intelligently multi-tasking instead of just wasting time playing silly games. :- Plus, I'm not sure Dungeon Keeper would even run on Windows7, once I get that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I love how the GTX275 is "dated" right now when I'm still using a GTX260 and it runs any game extremely well.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 1 month later...
Why 8GB of relatively slow DDR2? Wouldn't it have been wiser to buy 4 GB of fast DDR2?

You're right. But I already had 4GB of the DDR2 from my old build and it was cheaper to buy another 4GB DDR2 (a really sweet deal since its obsolete) than DDR3. I since I can't exactly mix DDR2 with DDR3 I figured 8 GB DDR2 would be better than 4 GB DDR3. But I guess I'll be needing better memory soon...

manthing2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got my 5870 so.. as of 2010-01-11:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (not happy with it!)

Intel Core i7 920 (not clocked.. yet)

6 GB 1600 MHz Corsair XMS3

Gigabyte X58A-UD7 motherboard (with USB3/SATA3 support!)

Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5

I also (finally) upgraded my fat Samsung monitor from 2003 to a brand new Asus 24 inch flattie, sporting a 1920x1080 resolution.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Intel Core i7 920 (not clocked.. yet)

Ok, so I tried overclocking it a little. I'm now stable at 3.0 GHz and it's idling at 48-50 degrees Celsius with the original Intel cooler.

I don't think I'll go any higher before I buy a new cooler. I'm thinking about the Prolimatech Megahalems, but I haven't decided yet. It's reviewed great and it's supposed to be a breeze to install, but it's a bit costly and doesn't come with any pre-mounted fans. If you want fans you have to buy and install them yourself, which is added cost and hassle. We'll see.

Ok, I still haven't decided on a cooler, but I am eyeing the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme. I used to have the Tuniq Tower 120 for my Core 2 Quad system and it's the best cooler I've ever owned. This new and improved 120 Extreme is made for i7 systems and has been reviewing very well, even better than the Nehalem. It's also a bit costly and it was a bitch to install (I had to use a saw to make it fit on my Abit motherboard!).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835154008

It looks cool and comes included with a high quality fan though. I would have to import it since it isn't being sold in Sweden.