Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Top Ten @ Obsidian

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6339 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Sawyer, perhaps?

Edit: Or Darren Monahan, or Chris Parker.

And let's not forget Feargus isn't done with his questions. Here's hoping he finds the time to answer them. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pidesco, 24 June 2006 - 04:12 AM.

Jora

Jora

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
We already know everything there is to know about Sawyer. And if we don't, we can always easily ask him here. Darren is a producer, not a designer, so that makes him kind of boring. :thumbsup:" I'm most interested in the new blood we know nothing about. Designers who have worked on KotOR2 and/or NWN2.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I agree. Sawyer's actually pretty good about answering questions in the first place. Let's grab someone we can't normally hold down for an answer. I think a programmer would be good. After all, once the designer gets done thinking profound thoughts and designing great games, the programmer must translate those thoughts and designs into a working product. It would be good to see what kinds of things translate better than others.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4485 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I vote for Mr. Ass. Prod.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
Kevin Saunders, a lead designer on PNJ or Brian Mitsoda, a lead writer on PNJ?

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4485 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ooh! Sneaky. :D

Jora

Jora

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
Mitsoda!! IIRC, he wrote most of the NPC conversations in Bloodlines. :wub:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8439 posts
Oohh, I would love to ask Mitsoda a few questions.. none of them regarding his work on Obsidian though :))

Maevar

Maevar

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
Hi, if Chris is reading this im just curious to his thoughts on whether or not he feels that the modular approach to content we saw in NWN is a restriction on the gameplay: In Torment you were able to make very unique settings specifically made to fit the story. This made the game much more immersive and interesting from a roleplaying point of view.
In NWN the design approach goes towards making the content generic and flexible and not designed very specifically the story.
How will that same design approach (as i understand you will apply, since you will support a public toolset) affect the gameplay in NWN2 compared to NWN1 ?

I fully understand the greatness of supporting a community, but i also feel that the price is too high on the quality of the game.

/Cheers

Atreides

Atreides

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think it'd be more rewarding to do Top Ten sessions with devs on the unannounced projects after we know what they are. We can then ask specific questions with the game context in mind and they'll have more freedom in answering the questions.

Blank

Blank

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aercyon
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wait, was that your question?

Ruds

Ruds

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
Heh, so one year ago today (coincidence? I think not) Chris answered that last question. Within that one year, he hasn't answered one other. I doubt mine will be the first, but I'll shoot anyway.

Question: You said several times that certain games are hard sells. How did an abstract and risky (albeit it a masterpiece) title like Planescape manage to find a publisher? Why is this even harder now? I consider you a bit of an authority, so in your professional opinion, will the hardcore RPG niche ever be filled again by non-independent companies (read: respectively "big[ger] budget" companies)?

By the way, thanks for your role in one of the greatest stories, of any medium, ever presented to the public.

M.Y.Vinci

M.Y.Vinci

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
Chris is the man...

PureSophistry

PureSophistry

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Radaway

Question: From your experience, what makes a NPC character compelling to players?

I'll do companion NPC characters because I understand them the best: They need understandable motivations (or hidden, but understandable motivations), unpredictability, some element of mystery, effective in the game, and a good voice actor.

(Note that I have generated this list in five minutes, so it's possibly I have forgotten something. Anyway.)

Motivations: People like characters they can understand or sympathize with. Part of my love of Hellboy and Robot Man in Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is that when they are confronted with a weird situation, they go "hunh?" and then they punch it repeatedly. This is an understandable, sympathetic motivation.

Unpredictable: Cliches being what they are, familiarity breeds contempt. If you come across a character archetype you immediately recognize and know exactly what his personality and character arc is going to be, he immediately becomes less compelling.

Mystery: Characters become more interesting when there is an element of mystery about their personality or motivations - then they become a mini-game that you want to unlock and find out why they are doing the things they do. The more these mysterious agendas revolve or focus around your player character, the better.

Effective in the Game: Any character that does not perform an effective support role in the game is pretty much doomed by any non-roleplayer, which you should assume is everyone. Myron from Fallout 2 - ineffective. Cassidy and Bonenose from Fallout 2 - effective. I sometimes call this the "Final Fantasy III Test" - every character in Final Fantasy III had a different, yet very effective combat ability, which made them all worthwhile to use in the game.

Voice Actor: Poor voice acting can breed hatred faster than anything, especially if their combat lines or selection lines are annoying or shrill.

One last thing - any NPC who disparages your character or doesn't acknowledge that the main player is super cool on some level, even if it's grudgingly, is generally not as well liked as other companion characters.

Sorry for the delay on this, we were in Dallas showing Neverwinter Nights 2 at A-Kon. Expect pix soon. If you want to see informal pix, go to:

Informal A-Kon pix.

This needs to be inscribed on gold plates and burried.

30 years later- The Church of Obsidan!

chuotpatin

chuotpatin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Chris is the man...

Oh, thank Experts

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2841 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this:

https://www.idlethum.../chris-avellone

Soren Johnson(!) (Lead Designer and Programmer of Civ IV) in a longform podcast with MCA. They discuss Avellone's career starting as a freelance PNP module designer through his work on Eternity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users