Videocard thread

Bokishi

I find the longer you have money to throw around, the more likely it is you'll end up doing so....it's not that you don't still think of yourself as cheap or practical, it's just that the higher the dollar value becomes before you start thinking 'that's too expensive to waste money on.' :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, if he were using an ISA card, I don't think he'd be on this message board. Will hardware that old run later versions of explorer?

As for my card, I'm quite happy with it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If I can hold out until christmas, I'll be getting a new laptop.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Because it's easier to have a laptop at college.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I will probably be getting a Dell laptop.

Dell have notoriously poor battery technology (which is why I bought a Thinkpad after I bought a Dell: IBM have the best battery technology); so be sure to factor in a new battery after 12 months.

Mine lasted 12 months almost to the day, then became capable of about eight minutes' total capacity. :-

They also have a nasty cheap look, with all that plastic: and any laptop with enough gear stuffed in it won't be fun to port around. (Again, I bought a Thinkpad "T" model, which is the thin executive model, meaning not the largest screen and total weight < 4kg; my Dell is three years' older ande weighs > 6kg because it has more stuff, e.g. a floppy drive.)

Still, the Dell is still going, poor battery notwithstanding, and I use it for a Linux router / firewall / server / stuff.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I kind of like the Sony Vaio line-up of laptops. They're incredibly pleasing to the eye (slick, thin and chic) and carry some neat technology. Unfortunately, they're made by Sony and the price is set thereafter.

I dont particularly like Sony after all. =]

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My dad got my sister a Dell laptop, so I assume that's what he will get me. Besides, I trust Dell. I've had this Dell for seven years and she's great.

The first and only game that caused me to upgrade was Master of Magic in 1994. The game required a 1 MB SVGA card to run, which my onboard vga didn't have. I didn't pay any attention to the brand I just needed a 1 MB VGA card - and cheap. Even though I had been bottlenecked in a lot of areas it was actually a game that made me upgrade. Pretty funny, no? I think so.

1. 1994 Cirrus Logic GD-5426 1 MB (VLB)
  2. 1997 Tseng Labs ET6000 2MB (PCI)
  3. 1998 + 3D-Addon 3Dfx Voodoo 4MB (PCI)
  4. 2000 3Dfx Voodoo 3 16MB (AGP)
  5. 2002 Nvidia Geforce 2 PRO 64MB (AGP)
  6. 2004 ATi 9600 128MB (AGP)
  7. 2005 ATi 9600 PRO 128MB (AGP)
  8. 2006 Nvidia 6800 XT 128MB (AGP)

The purchase of that (1) Cirrus Logic also marked the start of my pc home building experience. My pc of that time, the AST Bravo 386SX/33, 4 MB ram and 110MB HDD desktop was completely outdated, even by the time I got it, a year ealier (then it only had 2 MB ram). I didn't stop to notice the sockets of either VGA or motherboard before purchase of (1) and that AST only had ISA and the coating inside the AST desktop nearly fried my new motherboard, which I got subsequently (a VLB motherboard with a 486DX4 100MHz (Vesa Local Bus)).

(Signatures: disabled)