Do you like the revolution controller?

If you havnt seen it imagine a TV remote or follow this link http://www.eurogamer.net/view_screenshot.p...vcontroller.jpg

The slot at the bottom takes a variety of attachments the anologue one has been demonstrated (although its not shown). It does kind of remind me of the gizmo that controls our bed as well.

It's kind of weird after looking at gamepads, but Nintendo has basically dictated how games were played from the time of the famicom , so who knows it could be time for a change. I reckon out of all the consoles, this is going to be the only one where you will see some actual innovation rather than next gen versions of previous titles (albeit improved ones).

Come to think of it, this should have been a poll, oh well bugger it. Comment away.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Guest Fishboot

I like it a lot. MS and Sony's strategy is like strip-mining; Find a vein of fandom and then exploit that genre by improving the graphical experience and increasing the complexity until it becomes so insular and reductive that it becomes difficult for new players to get into it; the genre eventually dies, is attenuated to nothing or is integrated into other genres (RTS, fighting games, adventure games, RPGs). And generally those veins of fandom are relatively niche - even 3-4 million seller megahits are actually servicing very small numbers of buyers in the context of all ... consumers (I hate that word).

Nintendo on the other hand tries to create new fanbases as a plan of action. For one thing it's good that *somebody* does it, since MS and Sony need someone to innovate for them, and for another it advances gaming culturally and economically since they don't necessarily cannibalize the existing market. Nintendo doesn't labor under the delusion that it will control those new markets, either; If the wand controller becomes popular, they know full well that Sony and MS will copy it, except with higher production values and more subsidy from their diversified holdings, but Nintendo will have the jump on a new market and will make enough money to find the next innovation in that year or so that they're the only game in town.

I am a fan of the idea of it.

I have a theory tho. I think they pushed the new Zelda back in part to make it play well with the controller (as it comes out in 2006 now, close to a rumored Revolution release date). I think they may bundle it with the console.

Interesting to see how it works with the sensors as a golf club or sword or something.

I assume there will be games that are suited specifically for the controller, taking advantage of and making full use of the one handedness. What bout third party and cross platform releases? I dont think it would work well for a beat em up...

EDIT: I thought the next zelda was a cube release :)

Edited by Surreptishus

that thing wil be a battery whore.

news headlines in 2006/07:

Record number of women buy new Nintendo console

You do know there was a his and hers game for the PS2 dont you ? Never made it outside of Japan of course. Basically it came with a device which plugged into port 2. Depending on how skilfully you played (it was a shooter) the device would give of rythmic pulses the better you play ,the more the device responds and no I'm not kidding.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You do know there was a his and hers game for the PS2 dont you ? Never made it outside of Japan of course. Basically it came with a device which plugged into port 2. Depending on how skilfully you played (it was a shooter) the device would give of rythmic pulses the better you play ,the more the device responds and no I'm not kidding.

That was Rez right? Or is there another? :)

Long time ago :D

More stuff on the controller. It can be used like a laser pointer. It can detect movement in 3d, even goes as far as sensing if you slightly rotate your wrist. Should be able to wave it around like a sword, use it as a golf club etc.

478327[/snapback]

:o You've got to be kidding.

A whole new reason to love the Japanese developers. (If there were any to begin with)

And the controller. I like the concept. How that concept is executed in the privacy of my own home, however, remains to be seen.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I love the Fight Night games. If Nintendo can make EA develop a Fight Night game for the Revolution, that would let me use one of those in each hand, to simulate me boxing with my own hands it would rock! So yes, I think the limitless possibilites you get with that controller (assuming it works as intended) automatically makes me like it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If I have to point the controller at the screen or the console, then no I don't like it. The way I have my TV set up in my room, the controller more often than not is pointed away from the screen and console. My room is shaped in a way that this is the only possible setup for my TV, so if I have to point it at the screen, I'm not buying the console.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If I have to point the controller at the screen or the console, then no I don't like it. The way I have my TV set up in my room, the controller more often than not is pointed away from the screen and console. My room is shaped in a way that this is the only possible setup for my TV, so if I have to point it at the screen, I'm not buying the console.

You dont, although that would be the most common and intuitive approach. How do you see the TV if your not pointed at the screen ? Sounds weird :p

478327[/snapback]