Anyone ever played Diplomacy?

I'm just curious. I've had the boardgame for a while, but I've never been able to find enough people to play a real game.

For anyone who isn't aware of what I'm talking about, Diplomacy is a game sort of like risk, except that the board covers only Europe at the start of the 20th century, and the entire game is focused on diplomacy, alliances, betrayals, lies and deceptions. You try to convince the other six players that you're on their side, in order to manipulate them into trusting you and doing exactly what you want them to do.

It sounds like a brilliant game, but sadly I've never been able to play it. Maybe someone has an interesting story or two to share?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I personally haven't played it, but I know some business acquaintences used it as an ice-breaker to "get to know" their venture capitalist backers ... turned into an all-nighter and much was learned by all concerned ... :blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have the Civilization board game, and we play it much like Diplomacy. Instead of throwing dice, and just marching through the game, we actually pull players to private rooms and strike deals. Turns can take 20 minutes when we play Civilization.

Though I'm familiar with Diplomacy, I've never actually played it.

Diplomacy would be a fun game except that the economic model in the game is fundamentally flawed. I've seen some fixes to the rules floating around on the net that supposedly get rid of the gaping issues with the economics, though. It might be worth it to look those fixes up.

As is, it's simply too easy for someone who knows the loophole to generate huge amounts of cash abusing it. And as, Cicero said, "Endless money forms the sinews of war."

Diplomacy would be a fun game except that the economic model in the game is fundamentally flawed.  I've seen some fixes to the rules floating around on the net that supposedly get rid of the gaping issues with the economics, though.  It might be worth it to look those fixes up.

As is, it's simply too easy for someone who knows the loophole to generate huge amounts of cash abusing it.  And as, Cicero said, "Endless money forms the sinews of war."

Wait, what? Economic system? Last I checked, the closest thing to an economic system in Diplomacy is that certain provinces are supply centres. :wacko:

Diplomacy%20G10.jpg

standard2_ra.gif

I'm talking about a decades old board game. What is it you mean?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

The latest edition, standard map, no variant rules, other than general house rules like "Don't decieve the GM" and such. I'll lay all house rules out when we've got our players, but it'll all be pretty basic stuff.

Four left for our game. I hope we can get others to fill those spots. :wub:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!