Old Trilogy vs. New Trilogy vs. KOTOR

What? So I like KotOR. Is it that unbelievable?

Considering how much you complain on here about it and about how KOTOR:TSL is going to suck also, yes.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just because one aspect of TSL sucks doesn't mean I think the whole game will suck.

So far it looks like combat, NPC control, and character creation is going to suck.  Doesn't mean the other bits of the game will suck.

That's alot of sucking. :lol:

..........................sucks...............

.............................................suck.........

.....................................................suck.....

...............................................suck.

1) The prequel trilogy is most definately crap compared to the original movies. Its all about the special effects now...not about quality movies.

2) KotOR's storyline is MUCH better. I mean, the whole eruption of the clone wars in episode 2 was TERRIBLE.

3) I see no hope for the prequels to be saved judging by the earlier movies. Well, I suppose the only thing that might save it is if they allowed Natalie Portman to actually, you know, act. She is a freaking goddess... Ok, so maybe I am a little partial to her and thing Natalie Portman is awesome and not her character. I'm just attracted to a beautiful girl with a 4.0 from Harvard and with 4 fluent languages under her belt.

You can't compare movies to a game.

you can but only if you look at the things that are (or atleast should be) the same.

1. Character devlopment

2. Story line

3. Sound quality

things like the above can transverse the gap between movie and video game. so as long as what you are using to compare the two can't only be used to gauge one or the other then you can accurately compare the two with a certian degree of precision.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

1: How do you feel about the prequel trilogy so far as compared to the original trilogy?

So far, I prefer the original trilogy, but I don't hate the prequels like a lot of people seem to. There are a lot of things I'd like to change about them, but I still enjoy them.

2: Which storyline do you like better, the prequels' or KOTOR's?

With what I've seen of the prequels' story so far, I'd have to say KotOR. There are some stupid thing in Ep. 1, and some other things that could have been done better in both movies.

KotOR's story isn't perfect, but is still very well done and one of the better story's I've seen, in my opinion.

3: If (like me)you have been disapointed with EP. 1 and 2, do you think that it's possible that the third flick could save the trilogy.

Yes. I don't think the prequels will ever reach the status of the original trilogy, but if the third movie is good enough, it will go a long way to alleviate my disappointment over the first two films.

4. Would you like to see more Star Wars films after this trilogy is complete?

Maybe. I like Star Wars a lot, so more quality movies would always be nice. But I am doubtful that any additional movies could live up to the Star Wars name.

You can't compare any of the movies with Kotor simply because all the stuff you elaborate in a 30 hour game is done in a 2 hour movie. The Game will always have more depth more room to drag the player into the story and the haracters than in a movie.

You can't compare any of the movies with Kotor simply because all the stuff you elaborate in a 30 hour game is done in a 2 hour movie. The Game will always have more depth more room to drag the player into the story and the haracters than in a movie.

I agree. The original trilogy is by far the best of the movies. The prequels however, are alright. I liked Ep1 preety much (mostly because of Maul :rolleyes:), EP2 wasn

1. Original trilogy was much better.

2. KOTOR's storyline was not better than the prequels in my opinion. For one the KOTOR was very cliched and seemed similar to NWN OC. Go to four places and find four items. :wub: Not to mention the similarity between Bastila and Aribeth. In my opinion the KOTOR storyline was the worst part of the game.

3. Possibly but it won't come close to ESB, the best of all the movies.

4. I would enjoy more Star Wars movies. However, I think Lucas should step back a bit and allow other writers and directors to work on Star Wars. Lucas would still come up with the overall plot of the movie and then he could give it to another writer to flesh out and fine tune. Get someone like Steven Spielberg to direct (why not? they are friends). There is also rumored to be a TV series coming out after the final movie.

1. How do you feel about the prequel trilogy so far as compared to the original trilogy?

Episode I was a disaster. The Jedis were more soldiers than diplomats and rushed blindly in every fight. The fantastic proves of young Anakin were the biggest s*** in the movie. As for the battle - fantastic!

Episode II is far more better. Good storiline and good battles. I can compare him with Episode IV.

Second, it is the movie that gave birth to the game, right? I know we all want our KotOR to be the best, but i'll never put him above the movies. (Bit surely above many other games)

Third, i would be happy to see new episodes, mainly because this is the movie of my life. Truly...

The LOTR would trounce any star wars film, MAUAHHAHAHAHAHAH *looks at oliphants and army of 300,000 orcs and urukai, then looks at imperial walkers and storm troopers, blasters go off and miss horribly, shooting 2 walkers down and one shot burning a small whole in the armor of the mumakil (tower structure on top of oliphants) armored trolls move in and crush the storm troopers, Jedi attack, the rohirim rushes the jedi from the side, smoke rages, a storm trooper manages to actualy hit something, unforunately it was the broad side of minas tirith. Trebuchets launch peices of mina tirath at the walkers, walkers destroyed.*

anyways, I enjoyed the prequels just a little less then the trilogy. But then again I don't realy idolize the trilogy that much, it gets old after a while, the prequels on the other hand loose their enjoyability and rewatch value after the 5th or 7th veiwing of the films. CG is a good thing, a very good thing, without it we wouldn't have yoda jumping around like crazy, no giant clone battle, and no coruscant. I found a rather odd realism in the first film about coruscant that was missing in the second film. However yoda in the second film looked far better then episode 1's version. It all shows an ingenious plot set up by palpatine to become emperor. Anakin's acting did suck in episode 2. And some of the scenes (IE the arm getting chopped off in episode 2 and mauls death in episode 1) were done extremely poorly. And both were in desperate need of common sense (we've got a ship here full of rockets and lasers, so lets try and shoot duku down from here with our little pea shooters and extreme poor aim with a dumb look on our faces.) but besides that they were good films

Elaborate

On the Poorly Planned part: Obi-wan Kenobi has been around R2D2 a good while in the first 2 films, and possibly the third movie more than likely. Yet there is no plausible reason why his character would forget the droid in Episode 4. He would know R2D2. This is the problem with doing prequels in general.

Ah yes, we all know how HONEST Obi-Wan Kenobi was in Ep. 4....... :huh:

The LOTR would trounce any star wars film, MAUAHHAHAHAHAHAH *looks at oliphants and army of 300,000 orcs and urukai, then looks at imperial walkers and storm troopers, blasters go off and miss horribly, shooting 2 walkers down and one shot burning a small whole in the armor of the mumakil (tower structure on top of oliphants) armored trolls move in and crush the storm troopers, Jedi attack, the rohirim rushes the jedi from the side, smoke rages, a storm trooper manages to actualy hit something, unforunately it was the broad side of minas tirith. Trebuchets launch peices of mina tirath at the walkers, walkers destroyed.*

anyways, I enjoyed the prequels just a little less then the trilogy. But then again I don't realy idolize the trilogy that much, it gets old after a while, the prequels on the other hand loose their enjoyability and rewatch value after the 5th or 7th veiwing of the films. CG is a good thing, a very good thing, without it we wouldn't have yoda jumping around like crazy, no giant clone battle, and no coruscant. I found a rather odd realism in the first film about coruscant that was missing in the second film. However yoda in the second film looked far better then episode 1's version. It all shows an ingenious plot set up by palpatine to become emperor. Anakin's acting did suck in episode 2. And some of the scenes (IE the arm getting chopped off in episode 2 and mauls death in episode 1) were done extremely poorly. And both were in desperate need of common sense (we've got a ship here full of rockets and lasers, so lets try and shoot duku down from here with our little pea shooters and extreme poor aim with a dumb look on our faces.) but besides that they were good films

During the entire battle an Imperial Star Destroyer over orbit simply starts firing its turbo lasers at the planet and wipes out everything on the surface. The remaining ships leave. Sorry LOTR.

Anyways, I love them both. I just wanted to have turbo lasers blast all of those orcs.

The Jedis were more soldiers than diplomats and rushed blindly in every fight.

What are you talking about?

Yea, seriously! It seems to me like you're just watching the movie and not also LISTENING.

Oh well, I guess the movies really don't do a very good job of portraying the Jedi's diplomatic uses very well. But its George Lucas, hes seriously losing his touch (IMO).

What the movies do not show is the Jedi's long history of peaceful solutions to disputes.

At this time there is little negotiations can do to solve things, because the Sith are stirring things up. There is little room for such diplomacy during this time.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

1. I prefer the original trilogy to the prequel trilogy thus far.

2. I prefer KOTOR's storyline to the prequel storyline thus far.

3. Sure it's possible. Maybe Lucas will finally get things right and make an excellent movie. It's supposed to be a very dark movie, so here's hoping.

4. I would always enjoy more movies of any franchise, as long as they are good movies. Problem is that sequels tend to lose their edge because eventually you run out of new ways to do things.

I'm intersted in hearing anyone's views on either of the following.

1. How do you feel about the prequel trilogy so far as compared to the original trilogy?

2. Which storyline do you like better, the prequels' or KOTOR's?

3. If (like me)you have been disapointed with EP. 1 and 2, do you think that it's possible that the third flick could save the trilogy.

Please explain yourselves. Thank you.

1. As much as I liked the prequels,I'm afraid they just don't measure up to the original trilogy.

2. Kotor's storyline was brilliant,of course it's better than the prequels.

3. I seriously doubt that Episode III can make up for the shortcomings of Episodes I and II,but as a Star Wars fan I will probably watch it anyway.

4. I wouldn't mind seeing "Kotor -The Movie",but I don't think that will ever happen.

I'm intersted in hearing anyone's views on either of the following.

2. Which storyline do you like better, the prequels' or KOTOR's?

3. If (like me)you have been disapointed with EP. 1 and 2, do you think that it's possible that the third flick could save the trilogy.

Please explain yourselves.  Thank you.

There are a lot of people who think that the prequels are really bad but i like them, i do admit that they are not as good as the OT but remember you are comparing them to films that have been considered classics for over twenty years! I feel they make my enjoyment of the OT better.

The films would have to be the best ever films made just to compare to the originals. GL has made decent film but not remarkable.

As I have said many times, I would hate to see the SW universe die with GL, there should be more films but GL should not be writer/director.

If there are more films made he should be involved (as it is his creation) but other people should take the lead on the writing and directing as it happen in the OT.

As for KotOR it is the bomb!

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

1) Well, there are aspects in the original and the prequels that are very similar. The most obvious one is Lucas' use of AnnoyingComicRelief<tm>. In The Empire Strikes Back, it was C3PO. In Return of the Jedi, it was those blasted Ewoks. In The Phantom Menace, it was Jar Jar. *cringes*

So, there are certainly parts I dislike about all of them. The Phantom Menace just happens to annoy me more than all of the other films. We have Jar Jar, a very annoying young Anakin, and those blasted Force bacteria. (Why? Why?!?!) Now, I have the ideal drinking game when this is all over. Watch all six movies. Every time a Skywalker whines, take a sip.

2) The storylines aren't that bad in either, really. It's the execution (read: Acting). The VA's for KotOR simply destroy the actors in the prequels, except for a few exceptions: Palpatine, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon (probably misspelled that), Dooku, Yoda, and a few others I'm likely forgetting.

Having said all that, I must agree with the fellow who compared KotOR to NWN-- Find 4 things, move on to point B.

Really, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, and Baldur's Gate have many similarities in their plots.

In Baldur's Gate and KotOR, you are a Nobody who finds out you are a Somebody.

In NWN and KotOR, your high, righteous lady friend falls like a sack of potatoes.

There are a few others, but my brain's addled at the moment. Mea culpa.

3) The third one can go either way, and for me, it hinges all on our boy, Anakin. I have dismal hopes after hearing, "I want to be the best Jedi EVAR!" But we'll see, won't we?

--Gheralt