Can't activate game

Belgarath the Ancient One

Question

So, finally picked this up off of Direct2Drive.

After install, I have tried to activate using both options. Neither has worked.

Using the activation code with "online activation", I get error code -1912029 No idea what that means. I tried this with my firewall turned off completely, always with the same result.

So I tried the "web based" activation. After generating the activation request file, the website it linked to first just looked like a page with some text, then the section where I would assume I am to use to upload the file either times out or is not able to display.

Did they shut these servers down already? I also found out the hard way that the 1.1 patch does not work with the D2D version, which worries me.

Anyway, any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I bought and installed the game today myself (28/3-11).. and i experienced the very same.. and did the exact same thing as you did...

I am sincerely hoping it is a temporarily server malfunction, but i found this post of yours, as i was getting frustrated and googled the net for some of the key words in this problem..

So you are not alone in this.. I will be monitering this post as well, in hope of an answer to the problem xD

Progress!

So I had originally downloaded the 1.1 patch when I bought and downloaded the game. I then applied it and found the game completely not working. Fresh re-install, and then I went through the activation mess.

Since then, while looking for more answers, I found a patch on the SEGA website that was labeled for foreign countries and digital download, but also version 1.1, so I downloaded this as well.

Since I figured it could not hurt, I installed this patch. Start up game, and what do you know, it worked like a charm. Now, at this point I was never asked for an activation code, so as far as I know, my game is still not activated. I can't say that this patch is legal to use in the US.

Bottom line for me, it made it so I can actually play the game I paid for. Hope this helps.

Alpha Protocol patches

Since I figured it could not hurt, I installed this patch. Start up game, and what do you know, it worked like a charm. Now, at this point I was never asked for an activation code, so as far as I know, my game is still not activated. I can't say that this patch is legal to use in the US.

That's actually supposed to happen. The patch removes the DRM as well as some other fixes. So activation is no longer needed. I think I remember Sega saying they would remove the DRM eventually, I'm surprised they actually did.

I guess they shut down the authentication servers since the patch removes the need for it. You'd think they'd redirect people to the patch somehow. Kinda annoying for people, like yourself, who just bought the game and are unaware of the patch. Especially since the patch is sorta hidden away and not really advertised. Someone should make sure that the digital download versions of the game come with the 1.1 patch already installed.

I hope Sega/Obsidian are aware of this or people who buy the game are going to get stuck at activation.

f'ing unbelievable...

As if this game wasn't disappointing enough for the flaws keeping it from reaching its potential, the expected behavior for people who purchase it is "Error Code: -1912029". That is mind bogglingly awful. The error screen even gives you a helpful link to a broken webpage that talks about activation -- no mention of the fact that activation is no longer required. How hard is it to update a webpage?!

I bought the physical game from Amazon btw, so it isn't just Direct2Drive. Also, the North America patch from the link above worked for me, I didn't need to try the foreign one.