Fallout: New Vegas

So here's a question. Does the rep system use an all-purpose numerical score at all times or are there specific things you can get called out for? ex. "Hey you're the guy who's been causing trouble for the Legion" vs. "Hey you're the guy who tased my bro at Gulliver's Gulch"

So here's a question. Does the rep system use an all-purpose numerical score at all times or are there specific things you can get called out for? ex. "Hey you're the guy who's been causing trouble for the Legion" vs. "Hey you're the guy who tased my bro at Gulliver's Gulch"
It seems it's the latter, judging from the popups that came in the trailer/show-and-tell thingomajig. Sure, all they did was blow people up and it went from "Disliked" to "Actively trying to shoot you", but I didn't actually -see- anything suggesting numerical values on the reputation side. It would also be consistent with how reputation worked pre-FO3.

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm pretty sure the first two Fallout's just used a number for reputation. My guess is, based on your description, is that FONV does as well. You just don't see the numbers.

Unless you're referring to faction specific numbers which I think is different than FO3.

I'm not a techie but I think there would be both. At Sammael's "the Black Hound" (also known as Jefferson) site, you can see the prototype of reputation system*. Like influence system, it's basically numerical tracking system but, probably, the designers will also include flag-based conversation tracking time to time. For generally speaking, the numerical tracking system is suitable for free roaming world since it doesn't require the players to deal with the NPCs in a certain orders while flags are suitable for more specific conversations.

*However, since Jefferson's reputation system was a prototype, it had a serious issue: it had too many factors that the content couldn't be filled although I guess Obsidian must be more experienced with it and probably made it more "resource-friendly" by now. Two main factions sound quite reasonable.

BTW, talking of limited resource, in an interview at RPS, Pagliarulo mentioned the limitation of consoles.

For Oblivion, we came close to running out of space on the disc for just the audio. So when you want to have that many people to talk to, with this giant open world with all these people there are technical limitations which present themselves which other studios have tried to handle and have had problem with

BTW, talking of limited resource, in an interview at RPS, Pagliarulo mentioned the limitation of consoles.
For Oblivion, we came close to running out of space on the disc for just the audio. So when you want to have that many people to talk to, with this giant open world with all these people there are technical limitations which present themselves which other studios have tried to handle and have had problem with

Pagliarulo was bull****ting.

That's what he was doing. Fallout 3 has a fair share of dialogue, but your average Bioware's game has more. How the hell can they pull it off in a console game? MYSTARY! :ermm:

Yea..., since we can put hours and hours of music in portables with compressed formats (Mostly MP3 but, for games, do they use ogg?), it sounds...er...cattle excrement. Then again, Gamebryo is Beth's engine. So, why should he tell a lie which must be transparent to those who are familiar with it? :sweat:

Yea..., since we can put hours and hours of music in portables with compressed formats (Mostly MP3 but, for games, do they use ogg?), it sounds...er...cattle excrement. Then again, Gamebryo is Beth's engine. So, why should he tell a lie which must be transparent to those who are familiar with it? :ermm:

You should ask Pagliarulo. :sweat:

But really, Oblivion doesn't have that much dialogue as far as I remember.

Yeah, the world is big, I mean, REALLY big, but the npcs always say the same things (Fallout 3 was a huge step forward from that pov imho).

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Yeah, the world is big, I mean, REALLY big, but the npcs always say the same things (Fallout 3 was a huge step forward from that pov imho).

Oblivion had 15 Voice actors for the whole game. FO3 had 35, so yeah big improvement.

Still well behind ME (73) or NWN2 (61).

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

FO3 had Liam Neeson (<3), and all the games so far had Ron Pearlman.

Do we get any star actors for FO:NV?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

And Ron Perlman too, 99%, he was present in a teaser but hasn't been confirmed. Then again, what would be a Fallout without his narration?

It would be Fallout.

You guys get hung up on the dumbest of details.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Mr. House is definitely going to be a Name, that's just science. Since VA is being recorded presently there's not much they're saying. The rumor is that Wayne Newton will be doing some voicing, perhaps for a radio station. Inquiries have been met with a "no comment". Take that how you will.

Liam Neeson sucked in Fallout 3 though. It was like he didn't even care.

As for New Vegas, we are getting Ren

Edited by Oner

Then again, what would be a Fallout without his narration?

Perlman is just a nod to the first two, he's unnecessary.

Groin shots are unnecessary too. :sorcerer:

And a lot of other things.

Edited by Oner

If we're going to have a narrator, might as well be Ron Perlman. Or maybe Lance Henrikson. Keith David would be pretty cool too, can't get enough of Keith David.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Groin shots are unnecessary too. :sorcerer:

[...]

You shut your whore mouth! :o

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Mr. House is definitely going to be a Name, that's just science. Since VA is being recorded presently there's not much they're saying. The rumor is that Wayne Newton will be doing some voicing, perhaps for a radio station. Inquiries have been met with a "no comment". Take that how you will.

Actually they have already confirmed the presence of Wayne Newton as the radio presenter Mr.New Vegas.

And they concluded the VA recording a couple of days ago, link.

Groin shots are unnecessary too. :*

[...]

I was making a point Mr Compensator. :*

Groin shots are unnecessary too. :*

[...]

I was making a point Mr Compensator. :x
Don't you even dare to insinuate crotch-shots are unnecessary, even in jest! :o

t50aJUd.jpg

Really enjoyed these interviews, both with Chris and Tim Cain. Good stuff. Wish there had been some more questions regarding Troika in general as well as Bloodlines, but can't have everything. I think his views on F3 makes sense. Since it was set on the East Coast (which was a great idea I think), I was pretty disappointed that they re-used things such as the Super Mutants and FEV so heavily. But yeah... I always hoped they'd keep more of the original gameplay but break away from the lore of the old games (since it's a different setting) but oh well.

Finding it hard to get excited about MMOs these days but his ideas are pretty much what I always wanted from MMOs. Will be hard to break into that market for sure but hopefully it can lead to something good.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0