Music

Walsingham

Without really thinking I surfed to this rendition of

this morning.

I don't know exactly what it was, but it suddenly brought it all home for me. My grandmother loved it when she was alive because my grandfather loved it (he was Irish). My mum loved it because my grandmother loved it. My uncle too, though he's not dead just living thousands of miles away. My brother likes it though he's not dead just loopy. I guess my whole family has atomised these last few years like a wayward rebel planet with no weapons.

Anyway, the point is it set me blubbing when I've been pretty stiff-upper-lipped trhough almost everything. And I wondered if everyone has a tune like that, and ifw e share tunes or if the tunes have similarities despite differences in culture and ordinary taste.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

yeah i got a couple of songs like that

Cat Stevens - Morning has broken

played it at a friend's funeral about 10 months ago and it's still a bit fresh

also, Last Kiss is another song that brings to mind some unhappy memories - losing my girlfriend in a car crash a few years ago

Edited by Shryke

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

also, Last Kiss is another song that brings to mind some unhappy memories - losing my girlfriend in a car crash a few years ago

That sucks man.

I'm a big Eels fan, but I don't dare to put this song anymore when a friend of mine is around, because his mother died of cancer and it pretty much reduces him to a depressed mess.

So I know you're going pretty soon,

Radiation sore throat got your tongue.

Magic markers tattoo you, and show it where to aim.

And strangers break their promises, you won't feel any...

You won't feel any pain.

With my family, our longer car-trips have a tendency devolve into hour long renditions of "We All Stand Together", but other than that I don't think there's anything else that really defines my family, music wise, though.

That song ruined Memphis Bell. It's not even maudlin, it's mawkish.

Sometimes you need a square on, no frills punch to the sentiment glands. Well, I do, anyway.

The other one which gets me is

. I heard it at a friend's house, looking out over broad expanses of English rainy field. I can't quite describe what gets me, beside the fact that I absolutely always coast to a halt when I listen to it. There's something vehemently peaceful about it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not spotting a single theme here. Can anyone else?

-Elwood Blues

Screw maudlin. This will make you shake your ass.

You made me click around after some good ol' funky music. I'm just going to post 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js5bL48rDCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UYmHQDPr8M...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuaIQn1fpg

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I was under the impression that being moved, and even moved to tears, was a testament to the quality of the music. I don't think it's meant to simply depress you. What would be the point of making music like that.

I had linked an article that explored that but removed it because I didn't think it would be relevant :facepalm:

In response to your question though, there are so many sad songs out there that it's obvious that there's a market for that kind of music. I also thought that a lot of musicians (like many other types of artists) poured their emotions into their work and that it wasn't uncommon for them to be more creative during their emotional highs and lows and turn out some of their best work. I completely agree that a poor quality song isn't likely to provoke much of a reaction out of anyone, but surely there are reasons why and how a high quality piece of music can effect us emotionally that go beyond "Because it's good" and that seemed to be where Walsh was navigating the thread.

Edited by Serrano

That was certainly my main interest, Serrano.

Besides, having dealt quite a bit with pain and sadness recently I think it's perfectly healthy to listen to music which makes you sad. It cleanses the system, like draining a wound. Show me a man who's never sad and I show you a fething mentalist.

-Elwood Blues

Last fall was very stressful for me, and I found myself listening to sad music. It helps.

I swear, I must have had a month where I listened to almost nothing but A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning. The weather was rainy and dark that time of year, too.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I swear, I must have had a month where I listened to almost nothing but A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning. The weather was rainy and dark that time of year, too.

What a picture you paint.

-Elwood Blues

What a picture you paint.

It's more bittersweet than it is sad, though. The point of the album is something along the lines of "life isn't perfect and sucks sometimes, but live it anyway."

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

How emo, as I think the young people put it.

Go clay pidgeon shooting, drink a couple of bottles of claret and smoke a Romeo Y Julieta (a No. 2). If you are going to listen to music, the drums and pipes of any decent Scottish infantry regiment should do the trick.

For God's sake, grow a backbone you lot. :ermm:

sonsofgygax.JPG

How emo, as I think the young people put it.

Go clay pidgeon shooting, drink a couple of bottles of claret and smoke a Romeo Y Julieta (a No. 2). If you are going to listen to music, the drums and pipes of any decent Scottish infantry regiment should do the trick.

For God's sake, grow a backbone you lot. :ermm:

"Young people" don't put it that way, moronic preteens do. The two are not necessarily synonymous.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with listening to sad music, and you don't have to have long black hair draped over one eye to do it.

Listen to this, for example.