"How To" KOTOR 2 On Vista

Ok im going to make this topic here because despite the FAQ topic some people are just to lazy to constantly click each link... so I will help everyone here by posting a STEP BY STEP guide on how to make sure you can keep your KOTOR 2 running on vista.

1. Insert CD 1.

2. Open Start>My Computer>Kotor 2 and right click on "setup".

3. Go to properties and Run as admin and also run as Windows XP OR Windows 2000 (they both seem to work similar, but Ive had better gameplay on 2000.)

4. Install it, install the rest of the disks regularly..

5. Right click on the desktop icon and repeat step 3

6. Run the game, you will most likely get an error. (if not then keep playing)

7. Now you must download a new ms32.dll file.. (the orginal is located in My Computer>Program Files>Lucas Arts>KOTOR 2. Make sure you copy it and put it in a easy to find folder for further use of the one you downloaded doesn't work.)

8. Click Here

9. Now that you have downloaded the file, replace it with the newr mss32.dll file (location is in step 7)

10. Run the game and you quote on quote "shouldnt" have any errors.

Now if you still are having errors which happens alot.. there is one more solution.

This involves contacting support@securom.com

Send them an email saying something like this... "my kotor 2 is messing up can you send me a new kotor2.exe."

They will send you an email about what to do to send them a "Analysis" (helps them determine if you need it)

Follow the instructions using the same subject they replied to you with in your new email to them, attach the analysis file and send.

In no time you will receive a new KOTOR2.exe.

1. Now open up My Computer>PRogram Files>Lucas Art>KOTOR 2.

2. look for the old KOTOR2.exe now copy and move that file to a different location for easy access.

3. replace it with the new kotor2.exe provided by support@securom.com and right click it and run as admin/xp-service pack2-3 or windows 2000.

4. Now double click the game and play normally.

I have now listed all possible ways of making sure kotor 2 can run on vista.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

I'm just having one problem with this.

I found this guide after I had already installed KOTORII and tried to play it and failed.

Annd it looks like this starts at installation.

Easy answer right? just uninstall it.

Well, the damn things being stubborn.

I go onto the control panel, locate the program, press uninstall, press the continue for the windows popup and thennnnnn nutin.

any ideas?

This works perfectly! Thank you -very- much.

Solved my ...

please insert disk on other drive ?:.

...message I kept getting.

....Whoop. :sorcerer:

Edit: Unfortunatly as soon as you complete an update it seems to cancel it all out. Tried repeating the steps after the installation, to no avail. Waiting to see is the Securcom email brings any joy.

Edited by Ociros

Ive never undergone anything like that you must make sure your firewall is allowing it to access the internet with the updater, and yes make sure to keep that email from Securom they offer great help. Im glad it's solved some problems, now we must figure out this one..

62nzp7r.jpg

Thank you! In case I have to re-install K2 for some reason, I'll make sure to keep this in mind. I think I had made it run on Vista by luck, really, just fiddling and couldn't remember what I did! So thanks for this. It'll be easier for me now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried everything you've said, still keep getting the load CD/DVD into preivous drive. I download the required drivers and they don't register and it doesn'trecognize them. I've emailed the support@securom.com

as you've suggested and what they tell me to do doesn't work. I can't even record an AnalysisLog.sr0 because my game won't open. I'm frustrated and can't understand why a game won't run on Vista.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 8/6/2008, 22:40:40

Machine name: THEEYEINSIDE

Operating System: Windows Vista

Thread pruned. A little research on the internet reveals that downloading and installing a no-CD crack is illegal, even for software that you own legally. This is because it violates the EULA - when you click to install the game, you agree to its copy-protection system. Until and unless the publisher releases an official patch which deactivates the copy protection (as Bioware did with NWN1, for example), you are bound to keep their copy protection or uninstall the game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I've heard otherwise- if you own it you can do what you want to it as long as you don't distribute. Besides it's completely controllable there's no way of knowing if you use a no CD crack...alsoooo (I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate) if a no CD crack happens to fix an issue with a game then from what i understand it's fine because the publishers/creators of the game have failed to provide a product of high enough standards, which is definitely the case with KotOR 2 (i recently took the executable file and dismantled it to see how it worked, to be frank it's a complete mess) again not sure on the accuracy of this just thought I'd put it out there.

Actually that is what it is ment to do, but I mean I own the product already I submit my analysis which obviously states I own the game. It was the final nail on the head for my problems, I currently have vista and it took me a while to figure out that this could be a possible solution.

62nzp7r.jpg

Just to be absolutely clear:

If you contact LucasArts or Securom and they give you a link to download a file, that's fine. However, any other use of a so-called No-CD crack is unacceptable, as is discussion of it here. I appreciate that there's a debate to be had on this issue, but please also appreciate that this is not the place to do it - go to a public forum.

If there are any more posts about using such files, or links to their sources, I'll have to lock this thread. ;(

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

That's understandable, as this is a forum affiliated with an actual publisher I understand your position and that of the other moderators, though quick question as long as we're not telling people where to find no CD cracks and only advising that they can clear up issues is that OK?

i have vista and i just got a patch and ran it as administrator

the only problem i have is sometimes it finishes a cutscene and then it goes to a start screen that i cant do anyhting about it except ctrl+alt+del and exit it out

silent6.jpg

did you follow the instructions fully???? I mean I havent had really any complaints. And Im going to go ahead and end the discussion about the CD crack because it was not an alternative I presented.

62nzp7r.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured out what I had to do. I just downloaded the .dll file from the link you gave me and replaced the one I had and now the game is running.

Thanks for the guide. I bought a new comp (got a deal for 4gb of ram and phenom processor and 4850 radeon - 500 bucks :D) and it has vista. Giving hell to all my games. I can't live w/o KOTOR either and Clone Wars just got me in the mood to play.

Edited by Albion72