PS2 is a piece of crap, and Sony intentionally

thepixiesrock

I keep getting disk read errors. I've googled it, and mostly what I've found is that I have to take it apart and clean something. Does anyone know a way around this problem without having to get another PS2, and that I don't have to take it apart?

Please?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I used to be able to just turn it on and off and stuff and eventually it would work. not anymore though.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, PS2s are built like crap. They're so bad that Sony was sued over the faulty hardware, and Sony settled on offering free repairs. A friend of mine had to send his to be repaired at the factory thrice, and that's not counting the number of times he cleaned it out himself. Sad to say, Sony stopped honoring the free repair deal in '05.

You're going to need to opererate.

Edited by Nartwak

I've had no problems with my PS2. I've had it for 5 years, and I would normally do marathon game sessions on it, now I mostly use it for a DVD player, and its constantly running. Its overly sensitive to scratches, but thats the only problem I have. That and the fast forward speed is horribly slow when using it as a DVD player.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I get read errors fairly often with rental DVD movies, but I've never had any problems with games, with my old vanilla PS2 (with managed to survive several nephew related incidents, being launched across the room, and having me pull it apart and put it together again when I really had no idea what I was doing.) or the newer skinny one.

PS2 is a piece of crap, and Sony intentionally, built it to only last until PS3 released
This is a known issue - every PS2 will die at the end of this year due to a self destruct system, not all at the same time but staggered.

However there is a way around it. If you hack into the BIOS and set the internal clock back to sometime in 2000 the PS2 will think it is new and so wont shut down.

Or you could call up Sony. They'll give you a "refurbished" PS2 for cheap.

The PS2 was released when DVD drives were just coming into their own. Most households still didn't have a dedicated DVD player for movies--they were expensive-- so this was part of its sales pitch. (Yeah, you already have a PS1 to play games, but if you buy this, you can play our new games and movies, too!) Great idea, from a marketing standpoint. Unfortunately, to make it affordable/a profit, the DVD hardware used was low quality even for that time; as with the PS1, just flip over your game disks and you'll see the results. Ever wonder where all those scratches came from?

Intentional? Probably not so much. But inevitable, yes, that the drive will fail and the game disks skip, stutter, and eventually stop working just from normal use. Not saying Xbox is any better, I just never did any research on it. But it's no wonder so many of the movie and game rentals look like someone slalomed down a rocky slope on them.

PS2 is awesome. I haven't had NO problems with mine, and I've had it for like 5 years...

You've just told me you've had problems with it.

Yeah, I just have a standard PS2, not one of the thin ones. I've had it for a good 4-5 years.

Ive never had a problem with my (thick) PS2. Cant a normal CD head cleaning kit work?

From what I've read, it's because dust is inside the machine, and on the laser lense. I'd have to take it apart and clean it, at the risk of not knowing what I'm doing, and ruining it. But hey, I can't play it now anyway, why not give it a try? Because I'm lazy, that's why.

Yeah.

To clarify, I still need to open the thing up to clean it.