George R.R. Martin books

Hurlshort

I picked up the latest George R.R. Martin book over the holidays. It's been way too many years since the last one. If you've never read them, they are excellent fantasy books. He has the huge scope of Robert Jordan books, except he has no trouble killing off main characters. In fact, I was so confused over who was alive, dead, and undead in this recent book that it took me the first 150 pages just to get my bearings. Still, now that I remember how the last one left off, it's getting very good.

Anyways, pick it up, or get "The Game of Thrones" if you like fantasy and haven't read them yet.

Its too bad A Feast For Crows is only the first half of the book. A Dance of Dragons will be where all the good characters are like Jon, Tyrion, and Daenerys. At least the wait won't be as long for that one as it has been for this one.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've just read "Clash of Kings" and I must say that this is the best high fantasy epic I've ever read. Martin is Tolkien's heir.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Its too bad A Feast For Crows is only the first half of the book. A Dance of Dragons will be where all the good characters are like Jon, Tyrion, and Daenerys. At least the wait won't be as long for that one as it has been for this one.

Really? I'm nowhere near finished, but that's a shame to hear. I figured Tyrion would show up eventually. Jon was at the beginning of the book, but it wasn't his perspective, so I guess we'll get more Wall action in the second book. Seriously, he could have a whole series just on the action Beyond the Wall.

The wait better not be as long, it was 4 years since the last book. Any word on a release date?

I used to like his 'Wild Card' series. Not fantasy. More like comics in print.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Really? I'm nowhere near finished, but that's a shame to hear. I figured Tyrion would show up eventually. Jon was at the beginning of the book, but it wasn't his perspective, so I guess we'll get more Wall action in the second book. Seriously, he could have a whole series just on the action Beyond the Wall.

The wait better not be as long, it was 4 years since the last book. Any word on a release date?

no word on a release, but what happened waqsit was all one book, and it gottoo long to be released in one volume. My guess is the next one will be in 1-2 years

Devastatorsig.jpg

My wife bought this for her son, knowing full well that we'd borrow it and read it afterwards. o:)

I think she had to find a quick-plot-reminder website to help keep track of what all is going on.

Not *nearly* as bad as trying to remember all the goings-on in the Robert Jordan books!

evil_twin.jpg

Martin's books are all very good, not only the Song of Ice and Fire series. I really liked Fevre Dream. :shifty:

Tuf Voyaging was really good too.

Not *nearly* as bad as trying to remember all the goings-on in the Robert Jordan books!

Thats because when there gets to be too much going on in the SoIaF books, Martin kills off a couple characters. While Jordan figures "Hrmm, this plotline is almost resolved, so I better add two more to make up for it. Maybe I'll add a useless character and act like they're really important."

Devastatorsig.jpg

I read Game of Thrones when it was first printed...I remember it looking very lonely on the bookshelf, lol. Started slow and it's not the technical writing style I tend to enjoy most (a bit ponderous/stiff), but by the end I really wanted to know "what happens next" and I was agitated that the next book didn't appear to be coming out for another year and a half or two...I've since bought 2 and 3, but haven't read them. I keep meaning to....just haven't wanted to read the 1st one again, as I barely remember it by now.

I could use those cliff notes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I finished it a couple weeks ago, and there was some awesomness mixed it with concern. The two characters I really enjoyed throughout were Arya Stark and Brienne. I also found myself really liking Jaime, even though I hated him in the other books. A few spoilerish concerns:

Is Brienne dead? And will Arya be permanently blind? It's awesome that she killed that bard I'm a bit ticked off about those things. I love what happened to Cersei. I think the Kraken daughter will inherit the islands, but that who storyline is a bit boring to me. I had actually completely forgotten about the whole baby dragon storyline too. Catelyn Stark is messed up, and Sansa is still boring.

A Feast for Crows is a little different from the first three books, with the war of the Five Kings winding down somewhat and the survivors trying to consolidate their power bases/recoup.

Most of the next book is already written as Martin had to split his original Feast up as it was simply too long - so all the Tyrion/Jon/Dany fans will have something to cheer about (hopefully) later this year or early next.

Feast alone is worth reading for Cersei getting her just deserts at the end.

Ok, I finished it a couple weeks ago, and there was some awesomness mixed it with concern.  The two characters I really enjoyed throughout were Arya Stark and Brienne.  I also found myself really liking Jaime, even though I hated him in the other books. 

I started liking Jaime in the 3rd book. After he lost his hand and his experiences with Brienne really changed him. Put him on the path to being a good person. Does the book mention anything about Sandor Clegane? They left his fate up in the air at the end of the 3rd book.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 5 years later...
I cant believe someone would comb throught six years of search history just to reply to this.

Purkake linked this thread more than once in the Books thread. :lol:

I remember seeing this site a while back. Looks like it needs to be updated. When the release date was finally announced, this popped up. It's going to be another long wait, heh.

Edited by MechanicalLemon

I've re-read them a couple times and actually find new stuff every time.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I tried reading it a second time, but ended up just putting it down because I'd often just kinda go "Ok, I know this... Yeah, that too... OH COME ON PICK UP THE PACE!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I tried reading it a second time, but ended up just putting it down because I'd often just kinda go "Ok, I know this... Yeah, that too... OH COME ON PICK UP THE PACE!"

You would hate the saga of recluce. I really don't know how the hell L.E. Modesitt Jr can make buying boots and cleaning sewers so fascinating.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...