Game crashes immediately

stevejreg

Question

I'm running the the newest GOG version of PoE (GOG v2.8.0.14), and it's crashing immediately when I run it. As soon as I start it, I get an error popup saying "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way". Earlier versions of PoE have worked fine, but it's been a while since I updated. I've tried fresh installs, and have downloaded from both the GOG downloader and directly from the website. I do not have any DLC installed, this is a fresh vanilla install. I do get an error log, which is attached.

output_log.txt

3 answers to this question

Yes, I downloaded the installer .exe and both bin files. The installer verified itself and didn't report any errors.

I should mention a couple of odd things about the crash: 1) I can't close out the error dialog, when I click anywhere on it I see the animation of a larger (invisible) window minimizing, and the dialog comes back up if I click the taskbar icon for the game. I also can't click on any window in the background until the invisible window is minimized. 2) Although the error dialog says the game wants to be terminated, in the task manager it says it's still running.

Yes, I downloaded the installer .exe and both bin files. The installer verified itself and didn't report any errors.

I should mention a couple of odd things about the crash: 1) I can't close out the error dialog, when I click anywhere on it I see the animation of a larger (invisible) window minimizing, and the dialog comes back up if I click the taskbar icon for the game. I also can't click on any window in the background until the invisible window is minimized. 2) Although the error dialog says the game wants to be terminated, in the task manager it says it's still running.

For what it's worth, the latest update fixed things, although I had to download the full install; just applying the patch didn't help.